PDA

View Full Version : Super 8 (film)

Neil
11-Mar-2011, 11:32 AM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48833

bassman
11-Mar-2011, 12:10 PM
Nice to see some more of it, but it would have been nice to get a quick shot of what we're dealing with here.

Also nice to see it's not complete lense flare like Star Trek...

Neil
02-Jun-2011, 08:22 AM
First review I've seen and pretty +ve

http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/Super-8-5291.html

---------- Post added 02-Jun-2011 at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-Jun-2011 at 03:31 PM ----------

Harry @ AICN likes it too - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49854

Publius
02-Jun-2011, 09:45 AM
My first thought was: they should have made a movie about Motel 6 instead, that Tom Bodett cracks me up. And then I watched the trailer and, yes, it looks awesome.

Neil
09-Jun-2011, 12:53 PM
This review is less +ve...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49962

bassman
09-Jun-2011, 01:19 PM
Aint It Cool's reviewers are generally worthless to me these days. Those guys hate everything but Fincher...

So far Super 8 has an 82 rating on rottentomatoes.

JDFP
09-Jun-2011, 01:49 PM
This flick was in my Netflix queue the day it was announced (and Netflix had it available for saving). Netflix has actually irked me recently as it seems later and later before they have newer films up for you to go ahead and save for when they come out, of course my queue has about 50 films that are currently available and about 280 that are saved which haven't been released yet, but I digress...

I'm definitely looking forward to this one. It's up on my "Must See" list for this year along with "Apollo 18" and Polanski's new film coming out later this year.

j.p.

bassman
21-Jun-2011, 04:32 PM
I still haven't seen Super 8, but had to share this. This is just about the only thing that I hated about Star Trek....

bHqjmlM3kxs

AcesandEights
21-Jun-2011, 04:54 PM
bHqjmlM3kxs

That's a lot of effort to bitch about a choice in lighting effects (not you, Bass, the vidmakers). I didn't mind it in the new Star Trek (seemed it often fit) and found it more offputting in some of the scenes from Saving Private Ryan.

bassman
21-Jun-2011, 05:15 PM
The lens flare in Star Trek got on my nerves. It was okay and did work in a few scenes, but it was greatly overused. Then on top of that there's an entire special feature documentary on the lens flare? Abrams just talks about how he loves it, had the CG guys do it in the space shots, and then it shows some guys standing off camera pointing flash lights into the lens. :rockbrow: It doesn't make or break the movie, but I hope Abrams doesn't continue to get too carried away with it.

I hear Super 8 is more of the same....

thxleo
21-Jun-2011, 07:14 PM
Not sure if this has been discussed or not, but there are a couple of Romero nods in the film. The kids are shooting a zombie film and the name of the company in the story that causes the zombies is Romero Chemical. One of the kids has a Dawn of the Dead poster on his bedroom wall as well. And Romero vet Bingo O'Malley shows up in a scene too.

rongravy
21-Jun-2011, 09:50 PM
Still torn on seeing it. The stuff I've seen said if you were there for movies like E.T., you're gonna love this. However, my 19 year old son loved it, and that's bitten me in the ass more than once...

blind2d
21-Jun-2011, 10:30 PM
Not sure if this has been discussed or not, but there are a couple of Romero nods in the film. The kids are shooting a zombie film and the name of the company in the story that causes the zombies is Romero Chemical. One of the kids has a Dawn of the Dead poster on his bedroom wall as well. And Romero vet Bingo O'Malley shows up in a scene too.

Waaait a minute... A 'Dawn' poster? I was under the impression it was meant to take place before that movie was ever made...
Also, my sister liked it, so... I probably won't. Rental.

clanglee
22-Jun-2011, 12:33 AM
No it takes place in the early 80's. I loved the movie!! I took my 12 yo daughter and she loved the movie. It does indeed have that ET/Goonies vibe to it. . but with a more serious tone. Just a great nostalgic film.

thxleo
22-Jun-2011, 03:16 AM
The movie is set in 1979. It mentions Three Mile Island on the news in the film and when it shows the main character sitting in the cemetery next to his mother's grave you can see her death is 1979, which had just happened a couple of weeks prior to the film's events.

blind2d
22-Jun-2011, 03:13 PM
Oh okay. Sorry about that, I thought it was going to be nostalgic. Everyone's saying nostalgic. 80's isn't nostalgic. 60's is. 50's is. Not 80's.

MoonSylver
22-Jun-2011, 03:24 PM
Oh okay. Sorry about that, I thought it was going to be nostalgic. Everyone's saying nostalgic. 80's isn't nostalgic. 60's is. 50's is. Not 80's.

When you turn 42 this year it is...:( ;)

clanglee
22-Jun-2011, 09:24 PM
Blind, you kind of have to live through an era for it to be nostalgic. You have to experience something for it to bring back memories. The 70's and very much the 80's are nostalgic as hell to me.

And I was close with the early 80's.

Eyebiter
23-Jun-2011, 06:38 AM
Decent film until the third act... when Super 8 turned into a Michael Bay movie.

blind2d
23-Jun-2011, 02:46 PM
Oh dear, did it, Eye?

I don't know... I thought nostalgic was invented memories, shrouded in the ever-enhancing mists of imagined past... Or is that just me and my crazy ways?

MikePizzoff
09-Aug-2011, 10:17 PM
Finally just saw this. Loved it! Very fun movie. Reminded me of The Goonies and had me feeling like a kid. However, that is not to say that this is a kid's movie.

The only gripe I had was the ending; very abrupt and a shoddy attempt at being heart-warming.

I'd give it a 4.5 out of 5. RECOMMENDED.

bassman
17-Aug-2011, 06:32 PM
I've also finally seen this movie(Thanks Howard Stern! :elol:) and loved it. Like mentioned before, the third act could use a bit of work but it didn't ruin the whole experience. It wasn't a Michael Bay movie as someone had mentioned. I actually got more 'horror' vibes out of certain scenes in Super 8 than I have in recent films labeled as horror...

As it stands I'll give it a 7.5/10. Clean up the few problems near the end and it would have been a near perfect film. A great time "at the movies". Really cool to see the Romero references, as well.

rongravy
31-Aug-2011, 02:33 AM
I saw it tonight at the $2.50 movies, and I'm not going to lie. It was pretty decent. I can definitely see the Stand By Me vibes I've heard about it. And since I saw it with my kids, at the end when the respective dads were all hugging on their respective kids... I felt a little verklempt.
All in all, I'd say it was well worth seeing.
I had thought for some reason that they never showed the alien thangie, which is not true. I kept referring to it as Cloverfield Jr, as it vaguely reminded me of it.
We kind of showed up a few minutes late. We got there before the train crashing part, so I'm guessing I didn't really miss much. Also, hilarious sideburn action on Green Lantern, lol.