PDA

View Full Version : Japan Earthquake/Tsunami.

wayzim
11-Mar-2011, 11:59 AM
The Pacific Ring of Fire seems to makin the rounds here, what with the New Zealand/Christchurch quake and now Japan. (at around 4AM, thier time )

As always, when a disaster of this magnitude occurs (8.8 at last measure ), a sarcastic part of me always compares the reality to what film makers dish out. The best FXs out there and they always fall short, thank god.

But before the footage gets so redundant we start to suffer from media oversaturation, in particular that shot of a massive wall of water and debris sweeping across farmland ... Je-Sus.

And after much speculation about the west coast suffering a similiar event( due to a subduction zone very much like that off Sumatra) as the great tsunami of 04, it looks like Japan's sending us a sneak preview.
But first, Hawaii, any minute now(8AM, EST )

Wayne Z

Danny
11-Mar-2011, 12:04 PM
there actually evacuating the people around the kishihama nuclear reactor, if that whent chernobyl the damage could be unprecedented. that and this quakes damage still hasnt run its course is mind boggling.

bassman
11-Mar-2011, 12:06 PM
Mother nature is a bitch....

e-A0NDsPcZY

wayzim
11-Mar-2011, 01:09 PM
The Pacific Ring of Fire seems to makin the rounds here, what with the New Zealand/Christchurch quake and now Japan. (at around 4AM, thier time )

Wayne Z

I can never get the Time Zone thing straight. It was actually late afternoon for them, My Bad.

Wayne Z

Mr.G
11-Mar-2011, 01:15 PM
The wall of water gets me every time....amazing at the power and destruction.

MikePizzoff
11-Mar-2011, 02:52 PM
Holy shit, this is insane. While this is extremely fucked up and sad, I'm glad I woke up early today to see it going on.

Hawaii is being hit with the first waves right now: waves out off the shores breaking 6 feet higher than usual and water receding from the beaches. California and Oregon are expected to be hit shortly.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

Shit, now they're saying workers aren't able to generate enough electricity to pump water into the cooling stations of one of the nuclear power plants.

Neil
12-Mar-2011, 10:33 AM
Explosion at nuclear plant...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12720219

wayzim
12-Mar-2011, 11:52 AM
Explosion at nuclear plant...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12720219

And even if containment is maintained(which is critical, to better expedite damage control & eventual clean up)this demonstrates how seriously toxic nuclear fuel is (for those kids running around declaring it Safe and Clean. )
We do need this type of energy, but no one should ever understate the dangers of playing with Fire.
One catastrophic event results in contamination to last for hundreds of years.

Wayne Z

Danny
12-Mar-2011, 01:16 PM
Saw some charts on yahoo news earlier showing that if it goes into full chernobyl meltdown the raditation could be carried north east the south spreading along the west coast from canada to southern mexico.

naturally this has the idiots online saying "karma for pearl harbor, gods on'murrcas side" :rolleyes:

krakenslayer
12-Mar-2011, 02:07 PM
naturally this has the idiots online saying "karma for pearl harbor, gods on'murrcas side" :rolleyes:

I know, it's stupid. If this is payback for Pearl Harbor, what were Hiroshima and Nagasaki for?

Besides, it's obviously payback for Rapelay (http://www.somethingawful.com/d/hentai-game-reviews/rapelay.php). :p

Tricky
12-Mar-2011, 03:19 PM
nature seems to want rid of that nuclear plant! http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Video-Japan-Quake-Nuclear-Power-Plant-Emergencies-After-Japan-Earthquake-And-Tsunami/Article/201103215950844?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15950844_Video%3A_Japan_Quake%3A_Nucle ar_Power_Plant_Emergencies_After_Japan_Earthquake_ And_Tsunami

Neil
12-Mar-2011, 04:37 PM
We do need this type of energy, but no one should ever understate the dangers of playing with Fire.
One catastrophic event results in contamination to last for hundreds of years.

Wayne Z

Unfortunately, we absolutely need this sort of energy... In the next few years when peak oil starts biting, we'll need all the alternatives we can get. And nuclear is really one of the only viable alternatives...

wayzim
13-Mar-2011, 07:37 PM
Unfortunately, we absolutely need this sort of energy... In the next few years when peak oil starts biting, we'll need all the alternatives we can get. And nuclear is really one of the only viable alternatives...

In the meantime, CNN and other idiot tube information deseminators, have been spreading the Fear quite effectively. If they don't really know anything, why fill air-time with the worst case scenario?
Hypothesis should consider all options, yes?

But as each network paraded out thier so-called experts, the talk was more political science, the stripes of each was revealed. One Pro Nuclear Power dweeb had the nerve to crow about successful containment, in the midst of the crisis. I was screaming at the TV "They haven't yet stablized the temperature within the pile, you twit! "

At the other end of the spectrum, Greenies; well they tended to outnumber the latter but in the end we learn what bad rhetoric means. There were maybe one or two scientists really trying to give us relevant data

On a more humorous note; guess what one cable movie channel was running this afternoon? Accidental or Intentional, it honored the topic, of course.

Wayne Z

"Once it hits the water table, it would release a radioactive cloud which would render an area the size of Pennsylvania, uninhabitable. "

Neil
14-Mar-2011, 12:17 PM
They're still battling to get it under control...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12733393

AcesandEights
14-Mar-2011, 02:39 PM
Came into the office this morning to get a reassuring email from the CEO of our parent company headquartered in Japan. Thankfully they were not in one of the zones chiefly affected by the disasters, they of course are still struggling with a lot, especially with regards to family and friends more directly affected.

I am hoping for the best turnaround time for aid, that the situation with the nuclear reactor(s?) is resolved in as good an order quickly and cleanly as possible, and that there will be as few aftershocks as possible.

Danny
15-Mar-2011, 12:42 AM
ugh, this disaster has brought out the most ignorant, racist, backwards thinking in many people. There are an appaling amount of people saying its 'devine retribution' for shit like whaling or the japanese involvement in the second world war.

But let be honest here.

Claiming people you have a racist dislike of dying is punishment from god? for acts they personally had no control over or part in?

Aint that exactly the kind of shit you expect to hear from bin laden?

When the fuck did this shit become kosher for 'normal' people to say? i mean jesus christ...

ProfessorChaos
15-Mar-2011, 01:51 AM
hellsing, what sort of troll-infested sites do you frequent? seems like you specifically run across a bunch of assholes while browsing the web....

Danny
15-Mar-2011, 07:45 AM
hellsing, what sort of troll-infested sites do you frequent? seems like you specifically run across a bunch of assholes while browsing the web....

honestly most of it stems from sites like facebook or movie forums like this. One good thing about hpotd's relatively smaller amount of regulars is even when we can argue about religion and politics all day long the number of retarded bigots has remained incredibly low over the years.