PDA

View Full Version : Libya no fly zone - Yes? No?

Neil
14-Mar-2011, 06:12 PM
!5char!

AcesandEights
14-Mar-2011, 06:45 PM
I'm going to plead ignorance of the particulars due to tsunami news coverage and being out of the loop on bachelor party duty this last weekend. I only now realized how hot this topic of a Libyan no-fly zone was and I have to find out a bit more.

President Dmitry Medvedev has barred Muammar Gaddafi and his family from Russia, the Kremlin said on Monday.

Tricky
14-Mar-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm not sure how much difference it would make at this stage, its too late in the day from what I can gather. Gaddafis ground forces are starting to get the upper hand on the rebels now so even if his jets/gunships cant get in the air, his columns of armour & artillery will eventually pound the rebels into submission or annihilation. Its a tragedy because I really hoped the rebels were going to oust Gaddafi quickly, and they have shown huge bravery in taking on Gaddafis heavy armour with nothing more than salvaged RPG's, AK's, pick up trucks and whatever else they could get their hands on. What is needed is for NATO or the Saudis to take out Gadaffis armour from the air to give the rebels on the ground a chance to attack Tripoli. The Libyans on both sides wont tolerate any western troops on the ground there though, if we made that mistake we'd get bogged down in yet another Iraq/Afghanistan situation.

Publius
16-Mar-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure how much difference it would make at this stage, its too late in the day from what I can gather. Gaddafis ground forces are starting to get the upper hand on the rebels now so even if his jets/gunships cant get in the air, his columns of armour & artillery will eventually pound the rebels into submission or annihilation.

You're right. It seems likely that we're beyond the stage of a no-fly zone now, so the real question is whether we want to militarily intervene to oust (Q/G)(h)a(d/t)(d/h)afi. The US administration has already stated that the current situation is "unacceptable," and about the only thing less acceptable would be watching the rebels get the crap smacked out of them from our military aircraft circling overhead. So once we have a no-fly zone the pressure will be immense to start using that air power to conduct strikes against the government forces. And if that doesn't work, here come the boots on the ground.

Neil
18-Mar-2011, 12:36 PM
Well, they're doing it!

Let the next mess begin!

Danny
18-Mar-2011, 01:10 PM
i get the feeling gaggafi could outdo saddam or kim jong il in terms of all the 'crash and burn' theories if he is put on the defensive. An ultimately cowardly and selfish act, but i can see him doing the whole 'if i lose everyone loses' situation.

AcesandEights
18-Mar-2011, 01:23 PM
Interesting to see how quickly responses are generated at this level of 'diplomacy'

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/un-security-council-votes-to-approve-no-fly-zone-over-libya/story-fn7ycml4-1226024363283

Tricky
18-Mar-2011, 01:45 PM
The one thing that is certain about this is that its definitely all about oil, otherwise why havent we intervened in other African states like Zimbabwe where Mugabe has been murdering thousands of his own people & attacking British ex-pats? I cant wait for the day when crude based fuels are made obsolete...

Kaos
18-Mar-2011, 02:30 PM
I am glad to hear there is a cease fire. The lack of leadership by the Arab League is very telling. Maybe the Qaddafi's can retire to Scotland if he is overthrown?

AcesandEights
18-Mar-2011, 02:41 PM
Maybe the Qaddafi's can retire to Scotland if he is overthrown?

Better than the Libyan owned property in New Jersey :)

Kaos
18-Mar-2011, 03:12 PM
Better than the Libyan owned property in New Jersey :)

I kinda think they would fit right in!

p2501
19-Mar-2011, 03:54 AM
This could actually work. We move the big Q into South Jersey, give him a few months to settle in, learn the good take away places and what not. Then when he's just started to let his guard down, we roll out that "he's got WMD's" excuse one more time, and invade southern NJ. Why would we do this on our own soil? To once and for all take back South Jersey from the CHUD hordes that have held it since the fall of Mordor.

Sure it's an overt response, but i think it nicely kills two birds with one big ole JDAM stone. Also i really want to see a bunch of those jersey shore kids hosed down with jellied gasoline.