PDA

View Full Version : Will Write/Edit/Research for Money

Wooley
20-Mar-2011, 12:59 AM
I've been pretty inactive the past, what, few years? In case anyone wondered, I was going to school part time to complete a bachelor's degree, while working at the same time. In my case, the bachelor's was in technical communications, which I finished in January of this year. Now I'm looking for jobs in the field, which includes stuff like technical writing, copy editing, writing press releases, researcher, writing for the web and so on.

I've got almost a year and a half's experience writing for the school paper too so I'm not hitting the job market completely bereft of relevant experience either. I'm checking out temp agencies that staff for skilled white collar positions since I'm currently working for one, doing no-skill blue collar work. My reasoning is by going temp agency is that I'm used to the format and it'd be a good way to get yet more experience and maybe lead to a temp to hire position.

That and the direct hire positions I've seen so far all demand at least 2 years experience and I doubt people are willing to compromise on that right now with so many people out of work who have that relevant experience. I just know I don't want to be tossing boxes around again this summer.

Yojimbo
20-Mar-2011, 06:50 AM
Gook luck in your search brother.

BTW: Twice in my life when I was between steady gigs I was able to make a living by doing the temp scene. Both times I ended up getting hired by one of the assignments. If you've got the skills, you won't be temping very long.