PDA

View Full Version : New Xbox 360 System Update Preview

CoinReturn
29-Mar-2011, 07:07 PM
There's another preview program for people in the US, and it seems Microsoft is going to send participants a new disk format to try out. Here's the info and how to sign up:

http://majornelson.com/2011/03/29/xbox-360-system-update-preview/

http://connect.microsoft.com/xboxliveupdate

---------

I am happy to announce that we’re doing an Xbox 360 System Update Preview program for our next release, and the opportunity to sign up is now available. We are conducting an open call for US based participants* for a public preview to help us prepare for an updated Xbox 360 disc format. This is an important update as we continually strive to improve our products and we could not do so without the help of our great Xbox community. As part of the preview program, you will receive a copy of Halo: Reach along with other possible rewards.

Much like we did last year, you’ll need to visit the Microsoft Connect site from this link and sign in with your Windows LIVE ID that is connected to your Xbox LIVE Gamertag. Once you complete the survey that is presented to you, the Connect site will provide program related updates and you will receive a mail once the selection process is completed.

A couple of points before you head off to register:

We’re looking for multiple thousands of participants, so your chances of making it in are good.

This opportunity is open to Xbox LIVE Members in US region only*.

To avoid any problems, read the survey carefully and double check all the information you provide.

While both Xbox LIVE Gold and Silver members can sign up, priority will be given to Gold members in the selection process.

*Due to disc distribution limitations, this beta it will be limited to residents of the United States only.

I just signed up, seems interesting enough to try out, plus you get a free copy of Reach.

MikePizzoff
29-Mar-2011, 07:56 PM
I was involved in the last one, so I'll give this one a shot. The free copy of Reach sounds cool to me!

Danny
30-Mar-2011, 02:37 AM
Huh.

So part of the update is for a 'new disc format'. which has most fanboys in a itzzy about a 'competitor' to blu-ray, like thats gonna happen now, but most who looked into it say its dual layered dvd-18.

From the sounds of it thats giving 360developers way more space. but you will have to stop at points, remove the disc and flip it and reinsert it to continue.

and folks had a problem with the metal gear 4 bluray having 2 minute installs every 9 hours...

CoinReturn
30-Mar-2011, 01:46 PM
Looks like it's going to open up an extra GB of data, or a 14-15 percent space increase. Developers have to compress everything into 6.8GB at the moment, so they should be happy:

http://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry/

A highly placed development source has confirmed to Digital Foundry that the new disc format being beta tested in a new dashboard upgrade adds 1GB to the storage of Xbox 360 game discs.

The maximum space allocated to game data on the current disc format is just 6.8GB out of a maximum of 7.95GB on a standard dual layer DVD, with over 1GB dedicated to a DVD-Video partition that also contained anti-piracy security sectors. Astonishingly, this meant that the last generation PlayStation 2 had a higher level of raw storage available to games developers than the newer Xbox 360. It seems that this video partition has either been drastically reduced or omitted completely in the new format Microsoft is looking to roll-out.

Beta testers of the new dashboard get a free copy of Halo: Reach once they are accepted into the new preview programme. We can assume that this isn't just a generous gift on Microsoft's part - more likely it is a disc pressed using the new format, and Microsoft is looking for data on performance on as many different systems as it can. There is no one standard Xbox 360 DVD drive: the platform holder has used drives from Samsung, Hitachi, Benq and Liteon across the console's five year history.

ProfessorChaos
30-Mar-2011, 05:24 PM
i was gonna sign up, but got some error message when i went to verify my email address.

i was also planning on trading that copy of gay-lo reach in, as i'm over that series a long time ago. but if they actually want/expect you to play it, i think i'll just pass.

AcesandEights
30-Mar-2011, 05:25 PM
i was gonna sign up, but got some error message when i went to verify my email address.

Same thing happened to me, so I couldn't be bothered.

ProfessorChaos
30-Mar-2011, 05:32 PM
i was actually expecting a dashboard update as well, but don't think i've read anything about this....so if it is strictly a disc-format upgrade that requires you to play halo, no fucking thanks....

Danny
30-Mar-2011, 05:37 PM
Looks like it's going to open up an extra GB of data, or a 14-15 percent space increase. Developers have to compress everything into 6.8GB at the moment, so they should be happy:

http://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry/

an extra gigbyte!!!!

just concede and use fucking blu-ray ms, jesus.

Mr. Clean
31-Mar-2011, 02:48 AM
Looking for another way to add some bullshit and charge me extra dollars for my live subscription. That fucking espn update...still annoys me to no end.

CoinReturn
11-Apr-2011, 05:46 PM
If you got accepted, you should be receiving your beta package in the mail today or tomorrow. I'll probably be playing quite a bit these next few days if anyone wants to join in.

clanglee
11-Apr-2011, 08:21 PM
Alas, I was denied