PDA

View Full Version : LotR (extended) Blurays... Two discs PER film?

Neil
06-Apr-2011, 01:00 PM
The new bluray release of the extended version have each film spread across two discs?

Guess the extended time is bursting the 50Gb (dual layer) limit? At 36Mbit, a 50GB bluray=3hrs of storage (I believe)... And the extended versions are well over 3hrs if I recall?

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6045

AcesandEights
06-Apr-2011, 05:15 PM
I thought we'd left the day of hitting the eject button to finish a single movie back with the VHS players :(

EvilNed
06-Apr-2011, 05:16 PM
You know why they're called The Lord of the Rings?

Because the Neverending story was already taken.

bassman
06-Apr-2011, 05:23 PM
You know why they're called The Lord of the Rings?

Because the Neverending story was already taken.

:lol: I'm going to have to remember that one for future use.

I've got to make sure the wife never hears word of this extended release. I've already had to suffer through the trilogy a few times on Blu Ray and I don't think I could handle anymore. I would however like to hear Jackson's commentary on why he made some of the choices he made...

MinionZombie
06-Apr-2011, 06:00 PM
The new bluray release of the extended version have each film spread across two discs?

Guess the extended time is bursting the 50Gb (dual layer) limit? At 36Mbit, a 50GB bluray=3hrs of storage (I believe)... And the extended versions are well over 3hrs if I recall?

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6045

Mind you, the extended versions on DVD were spread across two discs as well.

Neil
06-Apr-2011, 08:41 PM
Mind you, the extended versions on DVD were spread across two discs as well.

Yep! And I thought they were great!

MinionZombie
07-Apr-2011, 10:30 AM
Yep! And I thought they were great!

Indeed. For three christmasses in a row I got the 4-disc extended edition DVD of the latest LOTR out that year, so it was a nice little event for a three year stint. Also springing to mind, Jackson's version of King Kong is spread across two discs ... and, weirdly, I kind of dig it. Not only does it keep the quality up, but there's kind of a little sense of occasion to it ... ... mind you, if all movies were doing it, it would be beyond stupid and annoying, but when a movie is feck-off-long, it's the best way.

Neil
07-Apr-2011, 12:55 PM
Indeed. For three christmasses in a row I got the 4-disc extended edition DVD of the latest LOTR out that year, so it was a nice little event for a three year stint. Also springing to mind, Jackson's version of King Kong is spread across two discs ... and, weirdly, I kind of dig it. Not only does it keep the quality up, but there's kind of a little sense of occasion to it ... ... mind you, if all movies were doing it, it would be beyond stupid and annoying, but when a movie is feck-off-long, it's the best way.
There was talk about a version with remastered/new effects... That just sounds too Lucas for me, so I do hope it was not true!

AcesandEights
07-Apr-2011, 01:25 PM
There was talk about a version with remastered/new effects... That just sounds too Lucas for me, so I do hope it was not true!

Well, if they cut down on the questionable overuse of the greenglob ghosties in Return, I'd be all for that. But I'm sure they'd be looking to add more effects, rather than making existing ones more subtle, so...

That said, they're great--EPIC (in the truest, not just internet candor, sense of the word)--films, but I honestly had forgotten about the originals and even King Kong being 2 disc jobbies.

DjfunkmasterG
07-Apr-2011, 06:53 PM
Great, now we get 9 hours of walking in HD... christ on a pogostick.

Mitchified
07-Apr-2011, 07:38 PM

I wouldn't be worried about that. I would be worried about Return of the King taking up four discs by itself, one for the original movie and three for even more endings tacked on.

Neil
08-Apr-2011, 08:08 AM

Oh great, the "9 hours of walking" comment for the 100th time... Christ on a bike!

Hint: We know you don't like them... Really! We do!

bassman
08-Apr-2011, 12:47 PM
So If I remember correctly, the theatrical cuts come in at a bit over three hours a piece. How much is added to the extended versions? Unless it's a great deal more, I'm suprised they're having to split them up onto two discs. With the amount of room available on blu ray, you would think one disc would be plenty. I could be wrong, but I think even the upcoming Ben Hur blu ray release is on one disc.....

MoonSylver
08-Apr-2011, 01:22 PM
So If I remember correctly, the theatrical cuts come in at a bit over three hours a piece. How much is added to the extended versions? Unless it's a great deal more, I'm suprised they're having to split them up onto two discs. With the amount of room available on blu ray, you would think one disc would be plenty. I could be wrong, but I think even the upcoming Ben Hur blu ray release is on one disc.....

Fellowship: Runtime: 178 min | 208 min (special extended edition)
The Two Towers: Runtime: 179 min | 223 min (special extended edition)
Return of the King: Runtime: 201 min | 251 min (extended edition)

Quite a bit added, and of some substance. KInd of like the whole extra scene in the Cann cut of Dawn, but even moreso.

bassman
08-Apr-2011, 01:56 PM
Over four hours for Return? Man that's long. But thw question still stands.....is that really too long for one blu ray? It seems to me that they could fit it all onto one disc when you consider the amount of information these things can hold. Maybe it's a good way to jack up the price. :elol:

MinionZombie
08-Apr-2011, 04:28 PM
But then Blu-Rays are high def, which means vastly bigger files, especially if they're going for a really sweet encode ... so with really long films I'd imagine they'd have to do that. I mean, look at the DVDs - they could have crammed each film onto one DVD, but the quality would have been particularly low ... plus just springing to mind, you've got to factor in some extra features, and specifically in BR's case - the uncompressed audio.

DjfunkmasterG
08-Apr-2011, 11:52 PM
They should wait and put these on the BDXL format which is 128gb per disc.

bassman
27-Apr-2011, 12:51 PM
So if you're excited for the extended cuts of LOTR on blu ray, you will probably be excited to know that they're also coming to the big screen (http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/lord-of-the-rings-extended-cuts-there-and-back-to-theaters-again).

Neil
27-Apr-2011, 12:57 PM
So if you're excited for the extended cuts of LOTR on blu ray, you will probably be excited to know that they're also coming to the big screen (http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/lord-of-the-rings-extended-cuts-there-and-back-to-theaters-again).

I've done the big screen experience with these films... I'm more than happy with the better image and sound of my living room TBH now :)

bassman
27-Apr-2011, 01:00 PM
Have the extended versions played in theaters? I thought this was a first....

MoonSylver
27-Apr-2011, 01:25 PM
Have the extended versions played in theaters? I thought this was a first....

Mmmm...IIRC there was at least talk at the time of doing a limited (re)release of the the extended versions. I can't remember if they followed through with it? :unsure:

Tricky
27-Apr-2011, 03:53 PM
As much as I love the films, I wish they would just release the definitive edition from the start, rather than blatant cashing in by releasing a new version slightly longer every now and again. They do it with a lot of films & it really bugs me because its footage they've always had from the start, so why not release it all to start with? its like this DLC fad in the gaming industry..

bassman
27-Apr-2011, 04:01 PM
Well they have to streamline the films to appeal to general audiences. Release the trimmed and faster-paced version for everyone, then later release the hefty version for the hardcore fans.

In this "general audience" member's opinion....the theatrical versions could have used MORE trimming.

MinionZombie
27-Apr-2011, 05:49 PM
Plus if effects shots are cut before the theatrical run, but are then cut back in to a longer cut of the movie - which is very common - then they have to finish all those effects shots, edit them into full sequences, score them, do sound effects, etc ... so that takes time. Like the extended version(s) of Avatar - a whole bunch more money went into creating those, so it does take time.

However, what is daft/annoying for the fans is releasing the theatricals on BR first, then a while later putting out the extended versions - so those that want the extended have to wait longer, or those who aren't aware have to ruddy well double dip. It pays to investigate home video purchases before you get them oftentimes ... particularly with 'event releases' like these.