PDA

View Full Version : Elderly woman pokes cable, cuts off internet access to three countries.

Doc
07-Apr-2011, 09:11 AM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109051-Elderly-Woman-Pokes-Cable-Cuts-Internet-Access-in-Three-Countries

A senior citizen inadvertently cut the internet access of three countries while digging with a spade shovel.

Some citizens of the former Soviet Union make money by digging for unused copper cables and selling them as scrap. A 75-year-old woman from Georgia was doing just that when she accidentally hit and damaged a fiber-optic cable, cutting off internet access for millions of people in three different countries.

The Guardian reports that the woman did the deed with a simple spade shovel. Georgia provides 90% of neighboring Armenia's internet, so her mistake left 3.2 million citizens of the country without internet access. In addition, areas of Georgia and Azerbaijan were also taken offline.

A system monitoring damage notified authorities who arrived shortly after the woman hit the cable. They arrested her on suspicion of damaging property, but she was temporarily released for "old age." She could face up to three years in prison.

The cable is reportedly "heavily protected," but may have been exposed due to landslides, rain, or other natural factors. I'm going to go ahead and say that if a 75-year-old digging with a dinky shovel could damage it, it wasn't "heavily protected," unless I'm missing something here. Then again, maybe the woman had been playing a lot of Minecraft.

I laughed for an hour!:lol::lol::lol:

shootemindehead
07-Apr-2011, 09:23 AM
Well, that's one way of ending an internet argument.

Publius
07-Apr-2011, 10:57 AM
Doesn't seem so "inadvertent" if she was actively trying to damage the cable to steal the copper she thought was inside. :p

bassman
07-Apr-2011, 12:29 PM
Around here the meth addicts just steal the copper from air conditioning units. This woman is hardcore. Especially for her age.

AcesandEights
07-Apr-2011, 01:20 PM
The title of this thread sounds like an awesome plot for a Superbowl commercial.

Just sayin'...

BillyRay
07-Apr-2011, 05:20 PM
In former Soviet Union, cable digs you...

(I got nuthin')

Doc
08-Apr-2011, 01:37 AM
Three years in prison, though? It was an accident. Let her go, I says.

Danny
08-Apr-2011, 01:46 AM
>guy sits in front of computer.
>unzips fly.
>grabs junk.
>checks for tissues.
>opens browser.
>.....
>tires again.
>....
>Throws a shitfit.

Ghost Of War
09-Apr-2011, 04:52 PM
I love this bit:

They arrested her on suspicion of damaging property, but she was temporarily released for "old age."

:D

MikePizzoff
09-Apr-2011, 05:12 PM
I love the one comment: "Was it a diamond shovel?"