PDA

View Full Version : Romero directing remake of "Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things"

bassman
11-Apr-2011, 03:19 PM
....as the title says, Romero will be directing the remake of Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things (http://www.horror-movies.ca/2011/04/george-romero-directing-remake-of-children-shouldnt-play-with-dead-things/).

Fearnet reports that George Romero will direct the project and legendary FX man Tom Savini has signed on to do the effects for the project. For die hard horror fans I am sure you are truly excited by this news but lets keep things in perspective.

As much as I am a huge fan of Romero’s and am his biggest fanboy I have found his latest films all carrying the byline ‘… of the dead’ have frankly been a big let down or mediocre at best. I am hoping with him making another stab at the genre that made him the icon he is we can get back to the calibre of his early films like Night, Day and Dawn of the Dead.

Savini doing the effects? I thought he gave that up to concentrate solely on acting?

I'll believe it when I see the trailer...

Mitchified
11-Apr-2011, 03:35 PM
I still say the name sounds like the title of an after school special or a public service announcement. Kind of like how Last House on the Left sounds like directions being given by an old man at a gas station.

EvilNed
11-Apr-2011, 06:25 PM
The original is one of my all-time favourite Zed flicks, and to be honest I am really interested by this. Even though I thought Diary was mediocre and Survival crappy. If this turns out to be true, I'm really amped.

clanglee
11-Apr-2011, 08:18 PM
Gotta agree with Ned on this one. Although I find it odd that George would be directing a remake of one of the movies that cashed in on his movies success. Weird, but enticing news nonetheless.

BillyRay
11-Apr-2011, 08:28 PM
Certainly there's room for the sort of sight gags Uncle George is becoming (in)famous for. Since the original is a "horror-comedy", this project seems right up his alley.

I'll give it a chance; I don't suppose it could be any more cheesy than the original.

PS Clang - I just saw 'Aaah...Zombies!' where your sig came from. Surprisingly well-made and enjoyable!

krakenslayer
11-Apr-2011, 10:18 PM
I think this could be cool. The original is okay but, to be honest, it's not one of my favourites so if George buggers it up then no big loss.

One of the big complaints about Romero's later zombie films is that they do not try to be scary: they are all about the wacky situations, social commentary and visual gags at the expense of atmosphere. Although I don't find the original to have lived up to its potential, the creepy atmosphere is basically the one thing that makes CSPWDT stand out, which will probably force George to emulate its creepiness in some fashion.

You never know, this could be the sort of thing that helps him find his mojo again.

MoonSylver
11-Apr-2011, 10:21 PM
Didn't this exact same blurb make the rounds a year or 2 ago? So I'm wondering if someone is just repeating old news...:confused:

krakenslayer
11-Apr-2011, 10:43 PM
Didn't this exact same blurb make the rounds a year or 2 ago? So I'm wondering if someone is just repeating old news...:confused:

The original concept was for Bob Clark to remake his own movie, but then he died and it was shelved.

This is the original blog post on FearNet by the guy that's written the script for the new Romero/Savini version: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:PbaaKYmA77MJ:www.fearnet.com/blogs/school_of_fear/b22270_children_shouldnt_play_with_dead_things.htm l+romero+children+shouldn%27t+play+with+dead+thing s&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&source=www.google.co.uk It's on Google Achive only because, oddly, it seems to have disappeared from the Fearnet website since then. But no, it's not dated April 1.

Incidentally, the screenwriter of this was the writer/director of Creep, a film I enjoyed the hell out of...

DEAD BEAT
11-Apr-2011, 11:15 PM
....as the title says, Romero will be directing the remake of Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things (http://www.horror-movies.ca/2011/04/george-romero-directing-remake-of-children-shouldnt-play-with-dead-things/).

Savini doing the effects? I thought he gave that up to concentrate solely on acting?

Bass dont gimme a stiffy, @ my age I cant aford 2 waste them!
"u freakin serious bout this?"

MoonSylver
12-Apr-2011, 12:14 AM
The original concept was for Bob Clark to remake his own movie, but then he died and it was shelved.

This is the original blog post on FearNet by the guy that's written the script for the new Romero/Savini version: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:PbaaKYmA77MJ:www.fearnet.com/blogs/school_of_fear/b22270_children_shouldnt_play_with_dead_things.htm l+romero+children+shouldn%27t+play+with+dead+thing s&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&source=www.google.co.uk It's on Google Achive only because, oddly, it seems to have disappeared from the Fearnet website since then. But no, it's not dated April 1.

Incidentally, the screenwriter of this was the writer/director of Creep, a film I enjoyed the hell out of...

No, I know that Bob Clark was orignally going to do the remake before his untimely death. But I could swear I heard this Romero/Savini rumor before now...

Too lazy to search before, but now I did. I did hear this before. Oct 15th 2010, so not quite long ago as I thought, but still, nothing new.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?17801-Possible-Savini-Romero-Team-Up

Moon Knight
12-Apr-2011, 12:14 AM
Highly doubt it. Someone is playing with Ace Duck again.

bassman
12-Apr-2011, 12:21 AM
I thought I remembered this being discussed before, but the search didn't produce that thread.

If this is a real project, we should probably get some more concrete information soon enough...

BillyRay
12-Apr-2011, 03:57 PM
I thought I remembered this being discussed before, but the search didn't produce that thread.

B-b-b-but...if bass can't find something in the searchbox, what hope have the rest of us?

EVERYBODY PANIC!!!

krakenslayer
12-Apr-2011, 04:19 PM
No, I know that Bob Clark was orignally going to do the remake before his untimely death. But I could swear I heard this Romero/Savini rumor before now...

Too lazy to search before, but now I did. I did hear this before. Oct 15th 2010, so not quite long ago as I thought, but still, nothing new.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?17801-Possible-Savini-Romero-Team-Up

Ah, okay, fair enough.

I think the difference is that that was just Savini talking about loose possibilities for the future, for a project that wasn't necessarily greenlit or scripted, just a pipeline thing, whereas this is project now fully-funded, coming together with Romero and Savini locked in and moving towards production.

GRMonLI
12-Apr-2011, 05:17 PM
I love the original.

I hope that the remake at least does it justice.

ChokeOnEm
13-Apr-2011, 04:23 AM
Ah, okay, fair enough.

I think the difference is that that was just Savini talking about loose possibilities for the future, for a project that wasn't necessarily greenlit or scripted, just a pipeline thing, whereas this is project now fully-funded, coming together with Romero and Savini locked in and moving towards production.

I'm not so sure about that. Is the Fearnet link to the original news item even still active? Seems they spoke prematurely, have retracted the story, and taken down the link. At least I can't find it.

EDIT: nevermind, I see that you also noticed that Fearnet has removed the link and posted a cached version for us to read. Cool. Thanx.

krakenslayer
13-Apr-2011, 06:09 PM
Yeah, it's possible that he's spoken too soon, but that doesn't mean it's not going to happen or it's not any further forward.

I suspect that Fango was simply not happy about the screenwriter making unofficial announcements about the movie on a rival site before Fango itself had made the announcement. I think we can expect something official within the next few days or weeks.

ChokeOnEm
14-Apr-2011, 02:59 PM
Yeah, it's possible that he's spoken too soon, but that doesn't mean it's not going to happen or it's not any further forward.

I suspect that Fango was simply not happy about the screenwriter making unofficial announcements about the movie on a rival site before Fango itself had made the announcement. I think we can expect something official within the next few days or weeks.

Agreed. On a slightly unrelated note...how sad is it that Romero's coolest zombie movie in decades will have been written by someone besides him? (This is assuming that the CSPWDT-remake is better than Land-Survival, which, it most likely will be).

Mr.G
14-Apr-2011, 05:40 PM
(This is assuming that the CSPWDT-remake is better than Land-Survival, which, it most likely will be).

Is that even possible? Wait, I just jinxed it!

Thorn
18-Apr-2011, 06:25 PM
I would love it, I have always loved CSPWDT, while it is clearly dated and very campy it has a special place in my heart as a fan of the genre.

BOBSMITH
21-Apr-2011, 12:31 PM
Gotta agree with Ned on this one. Although I find it odd that George would be directing a remake of one of the movies that cashed in on his movies success. Weird, but enticing news nonetheless.

Just about half the horror movies that came out after NOTLD and DOTD cashed in on his vision.

Yojimbo
21-Apr-2011, 06:01 PM
Just about half the horror movies that came out after NOTLD and DOTD cashed in on his vision.

I agree- probably more than half. Which is not to say that his last few were not without flaws, but GAR has had a huge influence on the horror films that followed NOLD & DOTD

Eyebiter
22-Apr-2011, 12:39 PM
Watched the original movie last night. First hour was slow, has decent zombie F/X at the end.

DEAD BEAT
17-May-2011, 05:07 AM

Man all this talk had me watching the original just now, once again blow away on how under rated this flick is...creepy as hell! ;)

Thorn
17-May-2011, 02:01 PM
Creepy factor can not be denied, and I am not just talking about those stripped pants either!