PDA

View Full Version : UK cinema go'ers - Online booking charges...

Neil
16-Apr-2011, 05:45 PM
Seems one cinema chain has finally seen sense, and rather than charging a crafty booking fee for using their internet booking, they'll offer a discount instead.

Never did understand the logic abot charging MORE for using an automated system :rockbrow:

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/cineworld-trialling-online-ticket-discounts

MinionZombie
16-Apr-2011, 05:51 PM
Hey, I use Cineworld ... had no idea they used to charge for paying online ... what a stupid idea. :confused:

I've never bought a cinema ticket online - I always buy them there in the cinema itself, but it's good news for those affected by it.

Now they should drop the ticket prices, £6.30 for a matinee (in my one anyway) is a piss take ... and it's more expensive elsewhere - even nearby. Although - thus far - there hasn't been a ticket price hike. Maybe they've finally realised they were taking the piss?

Now - online tickets with a discount, as they're saying (even though this trial is only in Scotland), would be a nice idea and perhaps encourage more people to do so. It'd certainly help on those days when they're on minimum staff and you're waiting to get a ticket behind somebody buying popcorn and shit and the disinterested teenager behind the till is moving slower than a glacier...

Danny
16-Apr-2011, 06:02 PM
i havent been to the cinema since avatar came out. The places are filthy, the experience is always terrible. Seems bad to say form a guy who wants to make films but when ive got a home theatre system with a projector and my choice of films, for free with my friends no noone else the modern cinema has really lost the allure for me and honestly a discount today is just the prices of a year or two ago so its no incentive to go back for me really. You are still paying for a shitty experience more often than not. and with that cost rising the incentive to go at all becomes less and less.

I'd say the day one showings of the fellowship of the ring, moon and a classics showing of the blues brothers are the only times in the last decade i can say i had a good experience in the cinema. perfect sound and visuals, great seating, a good audience, no douchebags. I mean its probably the area i live in but still, the modern movie experience is less than enthusing for me when i have had experiences like last halloween where we took a sheet and a projector into the woods with some pizzas and watched the blair witch project late at night y'know? technologically we can provide an excellent experience for free now so the cinema seems kind of a waste of money for something like the fast food version of experiencing art.

acealive1
17-Apr-2011, 01:42 AM
i never understood why there was a charge for anything we buy online. WE DO ALL THE WORK. kinda like how they charge people with cell phone for a texting plan....we're paying more to write out messages

Mr.G
17-Apr-2011, 02:37 AM
I can't figure out how you Brits afford going to the cinema. It kills me to fork over the money when I'm visiting. The wife and I went over Christmas and between the movie tickets, popcorn, candy, and soda, I needed a damn loan.

Danny
17-Apr-2011, 03:17 AM
I can't figure out how you Brits afford going to the cinema. It kills me to fork over the money when I'm visiting. The wife and I went over Christmas and between the movie tickets, popcorn, candy, and soda, I needed a damn loan.

round here a ticket, popcorn and a drink for one can equate to almost 30 dollars. to watch a movie and have a snack during it....

MinionZombie
17-Apr-2011, 10:35 AM

I'm off to see Scream 4 this afternoon, a matinee showing, and it'll cost £6.30 - which is $10.28 ... for a matinee ticket alone, and that's one of the cheapest prices around. Elsewhere nearby it's upwards of $11.75 for a matinee ticket alone.

What are the prices usually in the states? Cheapest and most pricey, like?