PDA

View Full Version : anyone in the medical field here?

acealive1
17-Apr-2011, 11:40 PM
i just need some opinions on my shoulder. all through high school and before i bowled, then got to high school, played football, did two events in track&field (shot, disc) , and bowled as well.

having a bit of shoulder pain at the moment and wondered if i have a serious problem?

maybe a rotator cuff tear or something?

thanks in advance if anyone can help.

P.S. a friend who's a RN told me friday it might be a tear

ProfessorChaos
18-Apr-2011, 12:17 AM
i'm interning at a physical therapy clinic this spring and plan to apply for pt school next summer after i get a bit of $ saved and some more experience under my belt.

from your history of sports, sounds highly likely that you have aggravated your shoulder somehow over the years. do some searching on youtube or other sites for pt exercises for rotator cuff injuries. if you're lucky, laying off the sports and focusing on strengthening your shoulder joint may alleviate all problems. if it's severe, though, it could require surgery.

best of luck, hope you get to feeling better.

Exatreides
18-Apr-2011, 09:11 PM
When did it start hurting? Does anything make it hurt worse? Does anything make it feel better? How bad is it from 1-10

Have you tried icing it when it hurts? Or hot compresses?

800 mg of motrin 3 times a day should help with some of the pain (As long as you have no allergies) If rest and those don't help. Go to the doc to get it checked out.

acealive1
18-Apr-2011, 09:17 PM
i'm interning at a physical therapy clinic this spring and plan to apply for pt school next summer after i get a bit of $ saved and some more experience under my belt.

from your history of sports, sounds highly likely that you have aggravated your shoulder somehow over the years. do some searching on youtube or other sites for pt exercises for rotator cuff injuries. if you're lucky, laying off the sports and focusing on strengthening your shoulder joint may alleviate all problems. if it's severe, though, it could require surgery.

best of luck, hope you get to feeling better.

heeeeey thanks,man. i really appreciate it as surgery would be the worst thing right now because work waits for no one. i checked the timetable for that surgery. 3 months of the sling, one year of therapy..........

theres something really funny i did yesterday.........i found a jar of icy hot......it expired in 2002......it actually worked!

i've acquired some lidocaine patches as of about an hour ago so hopefully it gets alot better fast. thanks for the insight, i'll check youtube ASAP.

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

When did it start hurting? Does anything make it hurt worse? Does anything make it feel better? How bad is it from 1-10

Have you tried icing it when it hurts? Or hot compresses?

800 mg of motrin 3 times a day should help with some of the pain (As long as you have no allergies) If rest and those don't help. Go to the doc to get it checked out.

it has hurt off an on for a few years honestly, but i just attributed it to all the stuff i did sportswise. when it started yesterday, the pain was an 8 real easy, it wasnt like "oh this is sore" it was like someone had a lit match on my shoulder and it at first only hurt when i raised my arm to get something. the only thing that made it feel better was literally not moving my arm. i'll try the motrin as well, i never thought of it

GRMonLI
19-Apr-2011, 07:48 PM
You should have it checked out . I started with horrible shoulder pain almost two years ago with no injury to to the shoulder at all.
I am in no way athletically inclined!
Anyway after all the shoulder pain it has progressed to shoulder pain, arm pain and twitching fingers.
After an MRI it turned out to be two herniated discs in my neck along with, as my doctor says, "massive" amounts of arthritis in my neck. So all the shulder and arm pain actually comes from my neck.
You may be treating the wrong part of your body.
So now after 2 years and a 2nd MRI it has preogressed so now I have to decide on 1) no treatment and live with the pain, 2) Steroid shots in my cervical spine that could upset my heart (I have had 2 heart attacks) and my sugar levels (am diabetic) or 3) Surgery to implant splint which could also upset my heart.
Nic choices huh???

Good luck!!!!

acealive1
19-Apr-2011, 08:50 PM
You should have it checked out . I started with horrible shoulder pain almost two years ago with no injury to to the shoulder at all.
I am in no way athletically inclined!
Anyway after all the shoulder pain it has progressed to shoulder pain, arm pain and twitching fingers.
After an MRI it turned out to be two herniated discs in my neck along with, as my doctor says, "massive" amounts of arthritis in my neck. So all the shulder and arm pain actually comes from my neck.
You may be treating the wrong part of your body.
So now after 2 years and a 2nd MRI it has preogressed so now I have to decide on 1) no treatment and live with the pain, 2) Steroid shots in my cervical spine that could upset my heart (I have had 2 heart attacks) and my sugar levels (am diabetic) or 3) Surgery to implant splint which could also upset my heart.
Nic choices huh???

Good luck!!!!

i can rule out the herniated disc. i had an MRI not even 2 years ago and the doc found nothing.

man i hope u get better, heart attacks are no joke. a friend of mine is THIRTY and just had a quad bypass. i was beside myself when i found out. i'll still see the doc and try to figure out whats wrong for sure. thank you so much for helping and giving me ways to rule out things.