View Full Version : I F*cking Loved This (incoming vacation photo)

AcesandEights
19-Apr-2011, 01:34 AM
In ther Bahamas on our honeymoon and had my first SCUBA diving experience this afternoon. I'm hooked!

Anyone else ever been? Anyone certifified?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/IMG_5963.jpg

ProfessorChaos
19-Apr-2011, 03:03 AM
never been, but i have an uncle who used to be really into it. think he's kinda gave up on it, though. living in the midwest, there's not a lot of exotic locales to dive.

my sis and her husband also went on their honeymoon, said it was something everyone should try at least once.

congrats on tying the knot, man. have fun down there.

clanglee
19-Apr-2011, 03:49 AM
I was thinking you were already married for some reason man. . . hmmmm. Maybe I just wish my misery upon everyone else ;) In any case. . .congrats. Oh and Scuba. . .never been, and I lived near the beach for like 60% of my life. . .but I would love to try it sometime.

MoonSylver
19-Apr-2011, 05:20 AM
In ther Bahamas on our honeymoon

Pull the airhose now. Drowning is quicker & less painful than the slow, crushing suffocation you'll endure the rest of your married life...

...oh, and congratulations! :lol:

Publius
19-Apr-2011, 09:41 AM
Nice! We stopped by the Bahamas earlier this year on a cruise. Just did some snorkeling though, not SCUBA. My only SCUBA experience was in a buddy's swimming pool. :p I would like to try it for reals though.

Trin
19-Apr-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm PADI certified for Basic and Advanced. I've been to Cayman and the Bahamas. I've done wreck dives, stingray dives, shark dives, deep dives, and night dives. And it is some of the most fantastic sheeeite around!!

Do a night dive as soon as you can. The ocean is 100% different at night. During the day all the daylight filtering through the water gives everything a bluish green hue. At night all the colors are vibrant. And the ocean life that sleeps during the day is out at night. Crabs, lobster, turtles and octopi (little frisbee sized ones). Plankton is photoluminescant, so the entire underwater area has little glow in the dark flecks everywhere. It's just too cool.

Pick up a copy of the book "Shadow Divers". It is one of the coolest books ever. It details how a diver found a submerged Uboat and subsequently went about discovering its origin. What a fantastic read, and it gives tons of personal dive experience from the author. It's written from the same guy who did the "Deep Sea Detectives" series on the History Channel (another great thing for divers).

Yojimbo
23-Apr-2011, 10:01 PM
Congrats brother Aces, for being made an honest man.

I have always wanted to try SCUBA, but never have. I've gone snorkling a bunch of times and that was pretty rad, so I can only imagine what a trip it would be to do SCUBA diving. I got to try this soon!

Mitchified
23-Apr-2011, 10:51 PM
living in the midwest, there's not a lot of exotic locales to dive.

You could always go diving in the Great Lakes. Of course, at that point you run the risk of coming out of the water with melting skin and a strange glow, but no guts, no glory.

MikePizzoff
25-Apr-2011, 08:21 AM
Didn't even know ya got married. Congrats!

slickwilly13
25-Apr-2011, 06:00 PM
I doubt I will ever scuba dive. I fear deep water.

AcesandEights
27-Apr-2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the congratulations & condolences guys!

I'm PADI certified for Basic and Advanced. I've been to Cayman and the Bahamas. I've done wreck dives, stingray dives, shark dives, deep dives, and night dives. And it is some of the most fantastic sheeeite around!!

Do a night dive as soon as you can. The ocean is 100% different at night. During the day all the daylight filtering through the water gives everything a bluish green hue. At night all the colors are vibrant. And the ocean life that sleeps during the day is out at night. Crabs, lobster, turtles and octopi (little frisbee sized ones). Plankton is photoluminescant, so the entire underwater area has little glow in the dark flecks everywhere. It's just too cool.

Pick up a copy of the book "Shadow Divers". It is one of the coolest books ever. It details how a diver found a submerged Uboat and subsequently went about discovering its origin. What a fantastic read, and it gives tons of personal dive experience from the author. It's written from the same guy who did the "Deep Sea Detectives" series on the History Channel (another great thing for divers).

Trin, I already had Shadow Divers in my queue to read, oddly enough--even before the trip, and will make sure I get to it ASAP, now. Any other tips on procedural/beginner oriented books?

I'll also make a point to night, cave and possibly shark dive (though I've always been crazy-scared of sharks) eventually, but I have to get certified and get the basics down on my next trip. Thanks for the tips, Trin!

Mr. Clean
27-Apr-2011, 09:21 PM
I knew a bunch of people certified in Okinawa, Japan. My wife and I only went snorkling off the coast while stationed there. Still seen alot of cool shit.

I had planned on getting certified but that fell through when the wife got pregnant because she wanted to do it the same time as me. It's on my to-do list. :)