PDA

View Full Version : The poll to tear this forum APART!!

Danny
23-Apr-2011, 09:47 PM
BEST SNL SPIN OFF FEATURE FILM!

so...
BLUES BROTHERS

-or

WAYNES WORLD.

make the choice HPotD

bassman
23-Apr-2011, 10:02 PM
No Coneheads option? I've always had a soft spot for that flick...

Either way - Definitely Blues Brothers. Cinematic comedy at it's best. Even though I was too young to see the movie when it was new, I still have a hard time seeing younger audiences liking it too much. It's got too much of that subtle comedy that Aykroyd, Murray, Chase, and the like kept me laughing with my entire life. It's got it's fair share of simple jokes as well, but I think most kids would get bored with it. They need more in-your-face "fart comedy" these days, it seems...

EvilNed
23-Apr-2011, 10:12 PM
I think it's more of a question of generation, really. Considering Blues Brothers is 80's and Wayne's World is 90's.

Anyway, Blues Brothers for me.

CoinReturn
23-Apr-2011, 10:19 PM
Wayne's World all the way! I've seen it a sickeningly number of times.

"We fear change." (smashes robot hand with hammer maniacally)

BillyRay
23-Apr-2011, 10:20 PM
It's got it's fair share of simple jokes as well, but I think most kids would get bored with it. They need more in-your-face "fart comedy" these days, it seems

Dunno, bass, there's a lot of physical comedy in Blues Brothers, plus the Greatest Car Chase ever put on celluloid.

(that includes French Connection, Ben-hur, and anything in the Star Wars movies)

And James Brown as a charismatic Baptist preacher? most spot-on casting this side of Richard Dawson in Running Man.

The whole film is an abridged history of African-American Music. Gospel, Soul, R&B, Blues, etc - there's a reason it ends with 'Jailhouse Rock'.

Plus my home town is in there for a couple split seconds.

(I don't think that last bit necessarilly appeals to the kids)

"we're on a mission from God."

"Illinois Nazis. I HATE Illinois Nazis..."

"You and the Penguin are the only family we got - and you're the only one who was ever nice to us."

"I have always loved you."

" No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!"

Mitchified
23-Apr-2011, 10:27 PM
Carrie Fischer with an automatic weapon makes this an easy choice: Blue's Brothers all the way.

Although it would have been a harder decision for me if Coneheads was on the list. It's one of those movies where I know that, yeah, it's probably a bad movie and, yeah, it's cheesy, but I still enjoy it immensely.

We come from France!

Danny
23-Apr-2011, 10:30 PM
-oh, for the record i love both but blues brothers with the soul music, illunois nazis, chicken coke and french toast, bellushi being taken over with holy power and dancing, the nun at the start, the car chase. it just never lets up and i watch it for the first time in a cinema of roaring people all laughing to tears at points and its so good whereas some of waynes world has not aged well.

but i still have joined in a car full of guys head banging to queen at the red light :lol:

shootemindehead
23-Apr-2011, 10:34 PM
What the fuck is an SNL?

and both the Blues Brothers adn Waynes World are shite.

blind2d
23-Apr-2011, 10:37 PM
Blues Brothers. Nerima Daikon Brothers. Simple choice.

But they need Garth on drums.

bassman
23-Apr-2011, 11:54 PM
-oh, for the record i love both but blues brothers with the soul music, illunois nazis, chicken coke and french toast, bellushi being taken over with holy power and dancing, the nun at the start, the car chase. it just never lets up and i watch it for the first time in a cinema of roaring people all laughing to tears at points and its so good whereas some of waynes world has not aged well.

I agree with the cinema part. I've grown up with Ghostbusters and The Blues Brothers, but seeing them in a crowded theater brings a whole new experience to it. It was absolutely magical. :thumbsup:

What the fuck is an SNL?

and both the Blues Brothers adn Waynes World are shite.

Living up to his reputation, Shootem hates everything except Day. :lol:

rongravy
24-Apr-2011, 12:03 AM
Although I own, and have a sweet spot for, Night at the Roxbury and Superstar... and even the part in Ladies' Man where he gets the other guy to eat a pickled turd...
It's Pat was pretty freaky too.
What about Office Space by Mike Judge? I read on wiki the animated shorts it originated from were shown on there. If that's true, then that is my pick. Otherwise it's a toss up between It's Pat and The Coneheads.

Mr. Clean
24-Apr-2011, 01:59 AM
So... you... dont want a fish sandwich?

The Ladies Man all the way!

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

P.S. Nice Thread title....got a good giggle out of me :)

MoonSylver
24-Apr-2011, 03:20 AM
Gotta give it up for The Blues Brothers. Waynes World is great, but Blues Brothers is classic. If there are any other good SNL movies I'm hard pressed to think of them, since there have been so many BAD ones. :(

Yeah, I'd have been shocked as hell if he liked either. :lol:

Doc
24-Apr-2011, 05:09 AM
Don't know what SNL is, and never seen Blue Brothers, and Wayne's World. Or any SNL spin-off.....atleast I think....erm. Yeah, what?

MinionZombie
24-Apr-2011, 10:06 AM
I voted Blues Brothers, which I only saw just last year for the first time - and it was an utterly bonkers fun time. After finishing it I totally understood why it's stood the test of time and been so beloved by countless millions over the years. I'm not really one for Blues and all that, but could appreciate it enough that it didn't put me off the whole show - for me though, it was the insanely OTT moments - like Carrie Fisher's psycho ex-gf blowing shit up, the huge-ass car chase, etc - that dropped my jaw. Plus Ackroyd & Belushi rocked it.

Haven't seen either Wayne's World for a long time now, but I enjoyed those at the time.

A more recent spin-off would be MacGruber - which is just totally silly, but also really quite enjoyable. Far from classic, but for some good yuks it's worth a spin. :)

shootemindehead
24-Apr-2011, 02:17 PM
:

Yep, Day of the Tenticle...great game.

clanglee
24-Apr-2011, 08:09 PM
Yeah I'm going with the Ladies Man as well. . . I am here for all of your romantic queries.

Publius
25-Apr-2011, 10:43 AM
"we're on a mission from God."

"Illinois Nazis. I HATE Illinois Nazis..."

"You and the Penguin are the only family we got - and you're the only one who was ever nice to us."

"I have always loved you."

" No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!"

Or my favorite:

"It's 166 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

"Hit it!"

EvilNed
25-Apr-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm pretty sure that's 106 miles, not 166... Duh!

Yojimbo
26-Apr-2011, 05:10 AM
Blues Brothers hands down. Waynes world a far away second.

But both of the sequels whic followed each royally sucked!

MoonSylver
26-Apr-2011, 10:36 AM
Blues Brothers hands down. Waynes world a far away second.

But both of the sequels which followed each royally sucked!

http://blog.blockbuster.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Jamie-Kennedy.jpg

"Sequels? Oh please! By definition alone, sequels are inferior films!"

:lol:

bassman
26-Apr-2011, 12:03 PM
But both of the sequels whic followed each royally sucked!

I actually enjoy Waynes World 2 as much as the first. They're both silly romps that deliver the giggles.

While it's true that Blues Brothers 2000 is not even close to the greatness of the original....it's kind of a guilty pleasure for me. I don't own it or anything, but if I see it on the tube I generally leave it on. Like I said...it's not great or even good by any means, but it has its moments that make it viewable, imo.

blind2d
26-Apr-2011, 03:17 PM
Oh there's a sequel to Blues Brothers? Had no idea...

CoinReturn
26-Apr-2011, 03:59 PM
Yeah, and it came out around the turn of the millennium, so it had to share something in common with Godzilla 2000 and Dracula 2000:

http://i.imgur.com/SjGPs.jpg

Just pretend it doesn't exist.

DjfunkmasterG
27-Apr-2011, 10:34 PM
Waynes World is SHIT... total SHIT

The Blues Brothers is absolutely the best spin-off from SNL to ever be done. Even 30+ years later The Blues Brothers will still pack a theater at special screenings and I never fail to get a good belly jiggle like giggle from the film.

zombie04
28-Apr-2011, 08:57 PM
Waynes World is SHIT... total SHIT

I'd have to disagree with you on this one. While the Blues Brothers is without a doubt the best film to be spun off from SNL, Wayne's World at least ranks above crap such as It's Pat or Stuart Saves His Family. Besides, where else could I hear Charlton Heston talk about his one perfect day on Gordon Street?

It's Wayne's World 2 I know, and the movie itself isn't as good as the first, but still enjoyable.

Exatreides
29-Apr-2011, 04:40 AM
I love Blues brothers

But Wayne's world for me.

Doc
29-Apr-2011, 04:20 PM
Wait, IT's Pat a SNL (whatever that is) movie? I remember liking that one as a child. I'm assuming it won't live up and is a piece pf crap then? No watch ability whatsoever?

bassman
29-Apr-2011, 04:48 PM
Yeah, Pat was from SNL. I haven't seen it in years, but it wasn't very good from what I remember. Not absolutely horrible, either. Just meh...

ProfessorChaos
29-Apr-2011, 05:18 PM
easy choice, bb all the way. ww does have a few funny moments, such as the scene spoofing the scene from the graduate where wayne ends up at the wrong church...

blind2d
29-Apr-2011, 08:47 PM
Hero, I think you're thinking of the second one... I could be wrong.

Oh, and um, SNL stands for Saturday Night Live. Just so you know. People who don't know. I'm talking to Doc.

Legion2213
03-May-2011, 08:14 PM
This isn't a poll, it's a massacre...