PDA

View Full Version : UK folks - AV? Yes or No?

Neil
05-May-2011, 12:45 PM
Well? Are you for it or not?

Tricky
05-May-2011, 12:58 PM
A resounding no from me, however I do think the existing system needs a good shake up, especially the gerrymandered Labour constituancies which mean they can win a general election on far less votes than any other party, which is why we ended up with a coalition because they've made it so difficult for any other party to get a clear win :rockbrow:

Danny
05-May-2011, 01:11 PM
nope, the current way aint great but that proposed system seems more likely to take politicians who are already more consumed with schoolyard bitchyness about each other than doing good and push them even more in that "well sure we did x but party y did z!" bullshit rather that actually doing the jobs we vote for them to do.

Legion2213
05-May-2011, 03:05 PM
Voted via post last week. A big fat "No" for me. I just don't like the dickery of the new system they are proposing.

Anyways, one man, one vote and all that.

Andy
05-May-2011, 03:53 PM
An absolute 100% unresounding NO from me, and I've spent the last few weeks campaigning for the no side.

If you ask me only a misguided, ignorant or spoilt-bratt minded fool would vote yes.

Danny
05-May-2011, 03:55 PM
Anyways, one man, one vote and all that.

this is all it ever should be regardless of system. I vote for who i think can do the job. not out of spite for the actions of other parties or my own bias dislikes, its who would be good for the job- and appears to want IT and not just the power and wealth that can come with it.

Tricky
05-May-2011, 04:13 PM
I was always going to vote no anyway, but the clincher for me was when Peter Mandleson threw his weight behind the "Yes" campaign, that automatically means its a terrible idea which would wreck Britain. It seems to me its all the sandle wearing yuppie types and 'slebs who want AV.

Legion2213
05-May-2011, 04:18 PM
The "Yes" campaign seems to have been driven by "hurt such and such a party/polititian"...a wonderful argument/reason for changing the country's democratic process. :duh:

As for Mandy, yeah...Mandy say good, me say bad. :)

Neil
06-May-2011, 10:18 PM
So, it's been voted against then! The "No's" have won!

Legion2213
06-May-2011, 10:50 PM
So, it's been voted against then! The "No's" have won!

Understatement much? :D

Absolutely rejected out of hand more like...a total demolition of this wacky idea. :)

Andy
06-May-2011, 10:51 PM
Was there ever any doubt?

It was a ridicolous system, a poor proposal than should never have made it as far as a referendum to be honest.

Legion2213
06-May-2011, 10:56 PM
Was there ever any doubt?

It was a ridicolous system, a poor proposal than should never have made it as far as a referendum to be honest.

Think it was part of the offer the Conservatives made to bring the limp-dems into the coalition. The Conservatives honoured their word, the limpos need to stay the course until the next election now, this country has genuine problems that need sorting and the Limps have a duty to the people to see it through.

Tricky
06-May-2011, 11:00 PM
It also looks like the Scots overwhelmingly want independence now as well, with the SNP basically having full control of Scotland. I've no problem with that, and have no problem with Scottish people either, having several as my close friends, BUT I do think that if Scotland votes for full independence from England, then that also must include financial independence. This would likely make Mr Salmond have to rethink his policies on free university education, benefits etc seen as he would no longer be able to prop it up with English money. I keep hearing arguments that Scotlands economy would thrive on whiskey exports and the oil/gas off the scottish coast, but how many years worth of oil is left there, it certainly wont be indefinite! And what happens when it runs out? have they even considered that?
What about defence? Again no problem with Scotland having its own defence force, but they would surely not be allowed to just keep all the British army toys that current scottish regiments have that have been paid for by UK PLC not the SNP? It just seems a bad idea to me for Scotland to go it alone and they would probably just end up being swallowed up by the EU like Ireland has since their economy nosedived.
I guess the good thing with these election results is that Mr Salmond will now HAVE to have a referendum on breaking away from the rest of the UK now he has the full majority, he cant keep dangling carrots in front of the Scots who have voted for him and then pulling back from the referendum, it has to happen now or he'll just look like he was full of hot air on the issue.

Legion2213
06-May-2011, 11:03 PM
I don't think Salmond has the balls, there is no real massive desire for Scotish independance up there as far as I can see.

Still, if they want to go their own way, that is fine, so long as (as you say), they don't expect any handouts. I'm not a fan of the Union these days and could live without it.

Neil
07-May-2011, 07:47 AM
It also looks like the Scots overwhelmingly want independence now as well, with the SNP basically having full control of Scotland. I've no problem with that, and have no problem with Scottish people either, having several as my close friends, BUT I do think that if Scotland votes for full independence from England, then that also must include financial independence.
Well said!

It does seem many Scottish have a bit of an axe to grind though I'm afraid to say. And independence is how this manifests itself!

And I agree, if they want independence, let them be independent of our purse strings too!