PDA

View Full Version : Best Python Film

bassman
05-May-2011, 01:46 PM
After having this discussion with a few people recently, I was curious to what you guys would think. So of their three major films, which was your favorite Monty Python film?

I've left "And Now For Something Completely Different" out of the poll because it's just sketches from Flying Circus and not really a new movie.

For me, it's without a doubt Life of Brian. It's a damn near perfect comedy and miles ahead of Holy Grail. I'm always amazed that it seems like EVERYONE knows of Grail, but when you mention Brian they kinda cock their head to side and look at you like a lost puppy...

blind2d
05-May-2011, 03:35 PM
I voted LoB, because, well... It's really great. My favorite part is probably 'You lucky bastard'.
I grew up on Holy Grail, and didn't see the others you mentioned until much later, but yes, LoB all the way.
"Oh yeah, that's Satan's favorite one too, I think. I'll ask him." - Murdoc

Legion2213
05-May-2011, 03:43 PM
Life of Brian.

I enjoyed the meaning of life & the holy grail, but LoB is the best.

(don't think I've seen the "whats a monty python" film)

Danny
05-May-2011, 04:05 PM
aint gonna lie, dont care for any of them. granted you gotta remember being english and born into the 80's from birth i had to listen all them damn quotes before ever watching it. must be like folks trying to get into portal for the first time now after the cake is a lie bollocks ad nauseum.

-love the end to life of bryan though, but if you dont you suck.

not bad films at all, just not for me.

Tricky
05-May-2011, 04:18 PM
Holy Grail for me, although I found it much funnier as a teenager than I do now. I've seen all the others and laughed my head off at some scenes, but I don't hold them in as much high regard as others seem to.

JDFP
05-May-2011, 04:38 PM
"Meaning of Life" for me -- I just think it's the pinnacle of awesomeness in comedies. "Holy Grail" would easily be the most quoted from for me because everyone is familiar with it and the quotes resonate with people (whereas with "Meaning of Life" they really don't).

I haven't seen "LoB" but once many years ago, so I'll have to go back and check it out -- but nothing tops "Meaning of Life" for me. There are three or four skits that get me cracking up just thinking about it. My favorite would be the Death scene where all the guests die and he's talking to the American and the Brit and says:

"Shut up, you American! You Americans, all you do is talk, and talk, and say "let me tell you something" and "I just wanna say." Well, you're dead now, so shut up!"

And to the Brit:

"Englishmen, you're all so fucking pompous! None of you have got any balls!"

Anyway, I just happen to find most British humor far more entertaining than American humor which seems rather juvenile and stupid to me, really. Fart and sex jokes and getting punched in the crotch just doesn't do anything for me -- and Judd Apatow films are just awful, IMO. American comedy films worth watching died around the early 90's if you ask me (around the same time John Hughes bowed out of film-making).

j.p.

bassman
05-May-2011, 05:12 PM
"Meaning of Life" for me -- I just think it's the pinnacle of awesomeness in comedies....

...There are three or four skits that get me cracking up just thinking about it.

While I agree that Meaning of Life has some very funny material, the only thing that keeps it from being a classic like Brian is the fact that it feels so disconnected. They tried to tie it all into one central theme, but in the end you can tell they were just patching together different ideas with no distinctive story. I believe they actually mention this on the documentary. Originally it was supposed to be Monty Python's WWIII, then they wanted to tell the story of ONE person's life, but in the end opted to just string together their different ideas for the film we have now.

Granted, you could probably say the same about their other films, but something about MOL just didn't click as well. It's more like 90 minutes of skits rather than a film. Which isn't a bad thing really. Probably the closest thing they had to Flying Circus. I just wish it had a set of the same characters like the first two films.

BillyRay
05-May-2011, 06:41 PM
Wow, tough choice.

But,I also had to pick Meaning of Liff.

I s'pose because it's the movie that comes closest to the flow of the television series.

The 'purest' Python experience, if you will.

Oh, and for Mr Creosote.

http://dubsism.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/mr-creosote.jpg

rongravy
05-May-2011, 09:00 PM
Life of Brian, but not for the same reason as the rest of you. You all just wanted to see Graham Chapman's winkie.

bassman
06-May-2011, 01:26 PM
Life of Brian, but not for the same reason as the rest of you. You all just wanted to see Graham Chapman's winkie.

I think if you look close you can also get a quick shot of Jones' scrote, as well. :lol: