PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know if Romero is working on a new film?

kirathesaviour
08-May-2011, 04:56 PM
George has just featured in Call of the Dead, but I was wondering if anyone knew if he was developing or thinking about making a new film? :rolleyes:

bassman
08-May-2011, 05:19 PM
He's said before that he would like to make two more films following the Diary/Survival characters....

Then there were also reports that he would be directing a remake of Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things. But nothing really set in stone as of now...

acealive1
08-May-2011, 06:38 PM
if he should do anything it's make a back to back dawn/day direct remake. same story just updated and at the same places. fleshed out more

bassman
08-May-2011, 07:00 PM
if he should do anything it's make a back to back dawn/day direct remake. same story just updated and at the same places. fleshed out more

Words can not possibly describe how much of a bad idea that is....

acealive1
08-May-2011, 07:23 PM
oh you mean someone else fucking up his films was better?

bassman
08-May-2011, 07:38 PM
Let them be. If they were to be remade again, considering Romero's recent track record, I would much prefer it be from someone else...

acealive1
08-May-2011, 10:19 PM
Let them be. If they were to be remade again, considering Romero's recent track record, I would much prefer it be from someone else...

steve miner says hello

bassman
08-May-2011, 10:49 PM
Just because he made a poor remake that doesn't mean everyone else will. IF they were to remake Day again, in the right hands it could be okay. But my point still stands that Romero is NOT the correct pair of hands at this stage.

Mr.G
09-May-2011, 01:19 AM
Words can not possibly describe how much of a bad idea that is....

If it ever happened, I predict it would break the internet from the amount of fanboy traffic!

JDFP
09-May-2011, 01:52 AM
oh you mean someone else fucking up his films was better?

Probably, yes. The "Dawn" re-make is entertaining in its own way (I liked it, although I get heat from some around here for it). It's a good action zombie-flick. It entertained me.

"Day" doesn't need to be updated -- as far as age it's held up pretty damn well. John Harrison's soundtrack is VERY 80's (in all the right ways if you ask me, I freaking love it). Other than the music, I can't think of anything in the film that would set it apart as being uniquely 80's, 90's, or now. It doesn't need updating as it's perfection. Perfection shouldn't be messed with. Trying to re-make "Day" would be like trying to re-make "Star Wars" to me. Just not feasible. I don't count that, ahem, 'film', which came out a few years back which happened to use the "Day" title.

j.p.

jded
09-May-2011, 07:59 AM
I think they should re-make Survival... Uuahahaaa! HA!

No it was ok but, again it was like... George stop playin! Give us some meat!

Thank God for Day and Dawn

blind2d
09-May-2011, 11:35 AM
And Night. Night still kicks.

BOBSMITH
11-May-2011, 01:35 AM
Savini's version of NIGHT was a fine film. I enjoy watching it from time to time. I think he did a great job with that movie and can't really understand why he hasn't been given more chances to direct higher budget films.

JDFP
11-May-2011, 02:14 AM
Savini's version of NIGHT was a fine film. I enjoy watching it from time to time. I think he did a great job with that movie and can't really understand why he hasn't been given more chances to direct higher budget films.

I might be in the minority here, but I wouldn't consider Night '90 to be a remake. It's more like an homage. A lovely homage to the classic.

The 30th Anniversary "Night" thing is just a bastardization of the film though -- worse than a re-make could possibly be. Shit, I would bet $20 (anyone with me here) that Michael Bay could make a better re-make of Night as opposed to the 30th Anniversary edition.

I'm sure Michael Bay's remake would involve exploding helicopters and lots of scantily clad women too (hey, Liv Tyler for Barbara scantily dressed - that's worth admission to me).

j.p.

bassman
11-May-2011, 02:44 AM
I might be in the minority here, but I wouldn't consider Night '90 to be a remake. It's more like an homage. A lovely homage to the classic.

I would disagree with that. What about Night90 isn't a remake? It's the closest remake of them all. Hell....the thing was written by the godfather himself and follows the basic story. The other "remakes" can't claim that they followed the same story. The rest took the title and did what they wanted.

While I can understand the love for Dawn04, no remake is more universally loved over Night90...

MoonSylver
11-May-2011, 04:42 AM
Is Romero working on another film? I hope to Hell not. Hope he never makes another. That way I can go to my grave after having lived out the rest of my days having heard "If only GAR had made ONE MORE FILM he could have redeemed himself!!!"

I would disagree with that. What about Night90 isn't a remake? It's the closest remake of them all. Hell....the thing was written by the godfather himself and follows the basic story. The other "remakes" can't claim that they followed the same story. The rest took the title and did what they wanted.

While I can understand the love for Dawn04, no remake is more universally loved over Night90...

I think what J.D is saying is that '90 hews so closely to the original that is really doesn't feel like a remake (especially in the modern, derogatory meaning of the term.). It's a sentiment I can agree with. I've often said '90 almost feels like when they do a revival of a play, where it is pretty much the same story, just a new cast, mabe updated a tad to make it contemporary. A far cry from today when the word "remake" means: "Take the name & change everything else".

JDFP
11-May-2011, 05:41 AM
Is Romero working on another film? I hope to Hell not. Hope he never makes another. That way I can go to my grave after having lived out the rest of my days having heard "If only GAR had made ONE MORE FILM he could have redeemed himself!!!"

I think what J.D is saying is that '90 hews so closely to the original that is really doesn't feel like a remake (especially in the modern, derogatory meaning of the term.). It's a sentiment I can agree with. I've often said '90 almost feels like when they do a revival of a play, where it is pretty much the same story, just a new cast, mabe updated a tad to make it contemporary. A far cry from today when the word "remake" means: "Take the name & change everything else".

Exactly! Night '90 isn't really a remake as I consider "remakes". It's more like an interpretation of the original classic in more contemporary circumstances -- a far cry from what could be considered as a remake (a la "Dawn '78" and "Dawn '04"). It's like taking a Shakespeare play and putting it in more contemporary circumstances. It gives honor to the original without really changing the *essence* of the original film like remakes oft (almost always) do. I consider it more as a love-letter to the original film. I certainly understand where people can see this as a "remake" and respect that opinion, but I just don't see it in that light. It's more like giving honor to the original film in bringing it up to date for today (just as I wouldn't consider Baz Luhrmann's great interpretation of "Romeo and Juliet" to be a remake of the story so much as a contemporary re-telling of the story for today's audiences).

j.p.

Trin
11-May-2011, 02:34 PM
I think you are right on this statement, however, I personally hated Night90. I enjoyed Dawn04 more.

I think it would be highly entertaining for Romero to remake Dawn or Day. Yes, I agree that he's not the right person to do it... right. But think of the entertainment value of him doing it wrong!

bassman
11-May-2011, 03:12 PM
II think what J.D is saying is that '90 hews so closely to the original that is really doesn't feel like a remake (especially in the modern, derogatory meaning of the term.). It's a sentiment I can agree with. I've often said '90 almost feels like when they do a revival of a play, where it is pretty much the same story, just a new cast, mabe updated a tad to make it contemporary. A far cry from today when the word "remake" means: "Take the name & change everything else".

Ah, I see. When I hear "remake", I think of something similar to the original. While the term is used often to describe films that are similar in name only, it still makes me think of a direct re-telling. Night90 is a remake, while Dawn04 is a re-invisioning or some similar silly term...

I think it would be highly entertaining for Romero to remake Dawn or Day. Yes, I agree that he's not the right person to do it... right. But think of the entertainment value of him doing it wrong!

31g0YE61PLQ

Mitchified
11-May-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm sure Michael Bay's remake would involve exploding helicopters and lots of scantily clad women too (hey, Liv Tyler for Barbara scantily dressed - that's worth admission to me).

Three words: Zombie Optimus Prime.

AngryNeighbour
11-May-2011, 11:55 PM
I completely forgot that there was a remake of Day of the Dead and I own the new Day of the Dead. I wouldnt even consider it a remake...at all.

I think George should make another zombie movie ONLY if he realizes that Diary/Survival were bad. Like come on, he's thinking of making another movie with those characters...WHAAAAAT?!

bassman
12-May-2011, 03:33 AM
Three words: Zombie Optimus Prime.

Where do I buy my ticket? Explosions get my attention, but zombie robot explosions?!? I'm so friggin there...

Trin
12-May-2011, 02:01 PM
I think if GAR is going to do another zombie film he should just go ahead and call it "Commentary of the Dead" and get it over with. That way the stuff he puts as highest priority will actually be the thing that the movie is about. And the plot and character and storyline can be the subtle nugget we all talk about as the genius under the surface.

Danny
12-May-2011, 04:09 PM
Where do I buy my ticket? Explosions get my attention, but zombie robot explosions?!? I'm so friggin there...

you know idw is running a comic called infested and the last issue had gi joe, captain kirk and peter venkman driving optimus prime through thousands of zombies.

you might wanna check that out.

Mitchified
13-May-2011, 02:22 PM
you know idw is running a comic called infested and the last issue had gi joe, captain kirk and peter venkman driving optimus prime through thousands of zombies.

you might wanna check that out.

Don't do it, it's a trap! The Infested issues of Ghostbusters were surprisingly good, but the crossover stuff... You know how they took two good franchises and shoved them together in the Alien vs. Predator movies, and the end result was a giant cluster*explicative*? Magnify that by a bajillion, and you're ALMOST there.

bassman
13-May-2011, 03:12 PM
it's a trap!

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcx18wwh0Z1qel6moo1_500.jpg

Mitchified
13-May-2011, 03:20 PM
I was expecting an Akbar picture to come up, but I was not expecting a Ghostbuster Akbar picture. Well played, sir, you win this round...

DjfunkmasterG
13-May-2011, 11:39 PM

The 30th Anniversary "Night" thing is just a bastardization of the film though -- worse than a re-make could possibly be. Shit, I would bet $20 (anyone with me here) that Michael Bay could make a better re-make of Night as opposed to the 30th Anniversary edition.

j.p.
I bet if BAY directed a remake of NIGHT we would get to see what happened at beakmans. :elol:

BillyRay
14-May-2011, 12:04 AM
I bet if BAY directed a remake of NIGHT we would get to see what happened at beakmans. :elol:

Yeah. it would've blown up...

blind2d
14-May-2011, 12:52 AM
It would've been like Dawn '04... gas station in the beginning, right? That happened, right? Yeah, that right there. Mm.

bassman
14-May-2011, 01:12 AM
Now that you guys mention it.....Dawn04 is very similar to Michael Bay's films. Fast, loud, slow motion half naked women, stereotypical angry black guy, etc....

blind2d
14-May-2011, 07:51 PM
So if Michael Bay and Zack Snyder (of Hanover) worked on a film together...

Rancid Carcass
14-May-2011, 11:08 PM
So if Michael Bay and Zack Snyder (of Hanover) worked on a film together...

It'd be a bumper year for the Razzies!

:D

JDFP
15-May-2011, 12:30 AM
It'd be a bumper year for the Razzies!

:D

Only if Romero didn't make another "...of the dead" film.

j.p.

rongravy
15-May-2011, 04:42 AM
Only if Romero didn't make another "...of the dead" film.

j.p.

Maybe he could reboot the Blair Witch thangie. Can't make it worse than it already is/was...

blind2d
15-May-2011, 06:27 PM
Ron, Ron, Ron... Look. Maybe it's just my experience with BWP talking (first time I watched it was alone in a country house just on the edge of a forest in Maryland on VHS) but really, I love that film. Immersion! That's what it is! If you put yourself there, in the woods with them... Oh man... But I guess that takes a little too much imagination for ya. Sorry to hear that. Anyway, yeah. Scared the poo out of me, and it was broad daylight the whole time!

rongravy
16-May-2011, 09:33 PM
...Immersion... ...in... ...too... ...the poo!
...is what I would've done with that VHS.
How's that for imagination?
Ok, I do see that there are surprisingly alot of people here that like this movie, though for what reasons I'm stumped. I will cease my hate campaign on BWP, but know that I loathe it just this last once.
Ok, I'm done.
Maybe I should do some shrooms out in the woods watching it on my laptop, in a tent wayyyy the fudgeknuckles out there in the boonies.
Then maybe...