PDA

View Full Version : (docu film) Marwencol -- This absolutely blew me away!

AcesandEights
13-May-2011, 02:00 PM
I had missed the post (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?18024-Marwencol-New-Documentary) BillyRay had done about this, but...

On April 8, 2000, Mark Hogancamp was attacked outside of a bar by five men who nearly beat him to death. After nine days in a coma and forty days in the hospital, Mark was discharged with brain damage that left him little memory of his previous life.

Unable to afford therapy, Mark creates his own by building a 1/6-scale World War II-era town in his yard and populating it with dolls representing himself, his friends, and even his attackers. He rehabilitates his physical wounds by manipulating the small dolls and props — and his mental ones by having the figures act out various battles and stories.

When Mark begins documenting his miniature dramas with his camera, his photos are discovered and published by Esopus magazine and even shown in a New York art gallery. But having the label of "art" applied to his intensely personal work forces Mark to make a choice between the safety of his fictional town and the real world he's avoided since his attack.

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/11/12/marwencol_rev_72dpi.jpg

http://redtreetimes.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/marwencol_01.jpg

Probably the most honest and personal piece of media I've come across the last few years. And, in a year of great docu viewing, one of my favs. It, in fact, stands out because it's so damned human. I can't recommend it enough, streaming on Netflix now.

Neil
13-May-2011, 02:35 PM
Jesus! That sounds like it could be heavy (emotional) viewing?

bassman
13-May-2011, 02:42 PM
Had this on my instant queue for a while now but keep passing it up in favor of other things. After your glowing review I think i'll have to give it a watch.

AcesandEights
13-May-2011, 02:42 PM
Jesus! That sounds like it could be heavy (emotional) viewing?

I had a hard time with it, at certain points, but that's more a testament to how openly it approaches the subject matter. It was fascinating from a psychological perspective, yet also profoundly sad and hopeful. Very emotive viewing.

Neil
13-May-2011, 05:52 PM
I had a hard time with it, at certain points, but that's more a testament to how openly it approaches the subject matter. It was fascinating from a psychological perspective, yet also profoundly sad and hopeful. Very emotive viewing.

Oh God! Not sure if I can cope with it if it's a blub fest!

AcesandEights
13-May-2011, 06:01 PM
Oh God! Not sure if I can cope with it if it's a blub fest!

I don't think its disingenuous or emotionally manipulative in how it handles the subject matter, though. It's just pretty strong. Whether one cries or not depends on how deeply the particulars effect them, but I think it's more likely to make one thoughtful than teary-eyed.

kidgloves
14-May-2011, 10:13 AM
I don't think its disingenuous or emotionally manipulative in how it handles the subject matter, though. It's just pretty strong. Whether one cries or not depends on how deeply the particulars effect them, but I think it's more likely to make one thoughtful than teary-eyed.

Agree with this. Its not a tearjerker at all. Just a deeply reflective piece. I got quite a lot out of the actual displays of the town as art more than the human tragedy.

BillyRay
16-May-2011, 08:25 PM
I finally caught this on PBS a couple weeks ago; and it was a really beautiful piece.

Inspirational.