PDA

View Full Version : I received an awesome birthday present!

UndeadChicken
13-May-2011, 06:27 PM
Hi everybody, I'm kind of new here and this is my first post. :)

Anyways my 21th birthday wasn't too long ago and instead of going out drinking to celibrate it like most people my age do, I recieved a present that was much, much better: Tom Savini's remake of Night of the Living Dead on DVD.

This movie is the very first zombie film I had ever watched (not including Scooby Doo on Zombie Island), and I remember how much it scared me as a kid and got me into the whole zombie craze. I had seen the original by George Romero a couple of years after and even though it wasn't a bad film, I perferred the remake over it because I liked the better special effects for the zombies and I liked the stronger Barbara who actually survived in the end. This movie will always be my favorite zombie film of all time, but I was never able to find it on DVD in stores. Then my parents being the wonderful people that they are, decided to order it off Amazon.com for me because they knew how much I loved the movie. And even after all these years of becoming cynical about most horror films and no longer being effected by them, this movie was still just as awesome as it was when I first watched it 12 years ago. :D

So anyways I just felt like sharing how happy I am that I now own my favorite zombie film on DVD. :cool:

bassman
13-May-2011, 07:00 PM
Welcome to the boards and congrats on the new dvd! There's a pretty good making-of documentary on that dvd if you're into that sort of stuff.

You would probably be happy to know that we've heard rumors from Savini that he's working on a director's cut. Nothing official announced, but if the rumor is coming from Savini himself, hopefully that means we'll get it soon.

AcesandEights
13-May-2011, 07:07 PM
Night '90 is a great film! A lot of fun, in my opinion. I still remember when I was able to pick it up previously owned on DVD from a local movie rental chain.

Sounds like your parents are very thoughtful, man. Welcome to the boards & happy belated birthday, UndeadChicken!

bassman
13-May-2011, 07:17 PM
I still remember when I was able to pick it up previously owned on DVD from a local movie rental chain.

I remember I was totally shocked to find it on one of those middle isle displays at Wal Mart. Something about that was strange at the time. Wal Mart and zombies just didn't seem to click. Now of course they even sell the original Dawn, so it's no big deal. But back then? I felt like I had discovered a pot of gold.:lol:

Neil
13-May-2011, 07:40 PM
Hi everybody, I'm kind of new here and this is my first post. :)

Anyways my 21th birthday wasn't too long ago and instead of going out drinking to celibrate it like most people my age do, I recieved a present that was much, much better: Tom Savini's remake of Night of the Living Dead on DVD.

This movie is the very first zombie film I had ever watched (not including Scooby Doo on Zombie Island), and I remember how much it scared me as a kid and got me into the whole zombie craze. I had seen the original by George Romero a couple of years after and even though it wasn't a bad film, I perferred the remake over it because I liked the better special effects for the zombies and I liked the stronger Barbara who actually survived in the end. This movie will always be my favorite zombie film of all time, but I was never able to find it on DVD in stores. Then my parents being the wonderful people that they are, decided to order it off Amazon.com for me because they knew how much I loved the movie. And even after all these years of becoming cynical about most horror films and no longer being effected by them, this movie was still just as awesome as it was when I first watched it 12 years ago. :D

So anyways I just felt like sharing how happy I am that I now own my favorite zombie film on DVD. :cool:Welcome!

I love Night90! And to this day the effects are brilliant at times... Especially the skinny zombie being shot in the window!

If I recall he was just a taxi driver Savini had once, and Savini asked him to be a zombie in the flick!

UndeadChicken
13-May-2011, 08:02 PM
Yeah I have seen the Making-Of Featurette and it was a pretty good watch. Also I would really love it if Tom Savini did release a Director's Cut to show all those deleted scenes, plus I'm sure it would add more to the story of the film too. :)

One of the things I really liked about this movie was Barbara's character, she was a unique horror film heroine because she started off as a typical "damsel in distress" like in the original film, but she grew into a stronger person unlike the original. Usually in horror films the lead female is always either a damsel in distress stereotype or a strong fighting woman, and you rarely have one who's a combination of both. And she was potrayed as a realistic survivor too, the reason she was the only character to survive in the end was because after Ben pointed out to her that she had to fight in order to stay alive, she started to calm down and observe her surroundings. I loved the scene where she was the first character to notice how slow the zombies walked and used that to her advantage, and she realized before everyone that it wasn't safe to stay in the farmhouse and they should have left right then instead of waiting for help or trying to get to the gas pump.

I think the 90's Barbara represents everything you have to do in a zombie apocalypse in order to stay alive. :P

Mr. Clean
13-May-2011, 10:21 PM
Whelp....the next thing you have look forward to is level 25 which grants you the ability to rent cars and lowers your insurance. :)

Not sure what comes after that, I'm assuming little wipper snappers will start to piss me off more than they already do but that's just guessing. :rolleyes:

MoonSylver
13-May-2011, 10:22 PM
Welcome! Now you've got a WHOLE lot of other zombie movies to get out there & watch (yeah, most not very good, but still...)

'90 is great. I still love the original maybe a HAIR more, for a number of reasons, but just the face that the remake is as strong a contender for my affections as it is is a testament to HOW good it is IMO.

I love Night90! And to this day the effects are brilliant at times... Especially the skinny zombie being shot in the window!

Always loved that guy too. He's so freaky looking.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/moonsylver/mySuperLamePic_5eae5405d3745ce4d244d682844d108d.jp g

:lol:

DjfunkmasterG
13-May-2011, 11:25 PM
Well for those that own Blu-Ray players... Savini, at last con I had seen him at, said Columbia was up for doing an UNRATED Blu-Ray release.

Neil
14-May-2011, 10:31 AM
Welcome! Now you've got a WHOLE lot of other zombie movies to get out there & watch (yeah, most not very good, but still...)

'90 is great. I still love the original maybe a HAIR more, for a number of reasons, but just the face that the remake is as strong a contender for my affections as it is is a testament to HOW good it is IMO.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/moonsylver/mySuperLamePic_5eae5405d3745ce4d244d682844d108d.jp g

And the gun shot effects on him are great too (if I recall) - No CGI there!

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

Well for those that own Blu-Ray players... Savini, at last con I had seen him at, said Columbia was up for doing an UNRATED Blu-Ray release.

Hey! That could be interesting! Hopefully that version has Barbara taking more than just her skirt off!

But seriously, I wonder how much footage there is to be added?

wayzim
14-May-2011, 11:54 AM

Yah, the skinny guy makes me laugh, and I really love the captions here.

I'm a classic NOTLD freak, myself, but NOTLD 90 had it's charms. Later on, when I really got into Babylon 5, I was happy to find the new Barbara (Patricia Tallman )on that show. She would vanish soon after the pilot and wouldn't reappear until almost the end of the second season.

An aside; just in case you didn't know, Babylon 5 was a 90's cult Sci Fi series which was pimped by it's creator J (Joe) Michael Strazynski (talented scripter. ) as a novel for TV, with a clear 5 yr arc ( almost unheard of at the time for an american primetime series. ) Tallman played a psychic, Lyta Alexander.

She was also a very talented stunt person, FYI, and you probably saw her work, most notably in Evil Dead; Army of Darkness.

But back to NOTLD 90. I think part of the problem I had totally embracing it was the fact that this remake was created as a way to recoup lost revenue from the original for George & Crew.
(A failure of proper copywriting which plopped it squarely into Public Domain. Thus all the inferior versions which came out afterwards. )

I appreciated that thought, but it made my more cynical in my viewing of the film. Later, I liked it a little more.

Oh, and welcome to the party ...

Wayne Z

"This ain't no midnight Fright Flick, or Creature Double Feature, babe. "
Dead Fall; Foreshadow.

acealive1
15-May-2011, 05:48 AM
happy birthday to ya. and its always awesome to get a flick like that. that movie even seen on tv with commercials is scary as hell and it did that to me as a kid.

UndeadChicken
16-May-2011, 03:29 PM
There are a couple more zombie films I would like to try and get on DVD, like for example the original Day of the Dead and the first Resident Evil movie. Those are some of my favorites.

bassman
16-May-2011, 03:35 PM
you should be able to find the 2 disc special edition of Day at any major retail store. You can probably pick it up for 5-10 bucks, too.

UndeadChicken
16-May-2011, 03:41 PM
Yeah I'll definetly keep an eye out for it. Day of the Dead was a really awesome film and kind of underrated too. Bub was an awesome zombie and I loved how Romero potrayed the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse, everything about it was so depressing and creepy. Plus I think the zombies in Day are some examples of Tom Savini's finest work, wouldn't you agree?