PDA

View Full Version : Day of the Dead 35mm screening in Pittsburgh

thxleo
19-May-2011, 04:02 PM
I can't believe they were able to track down a 35mm print of Day of the Dead. Back in my theatre managing days I tried endlessly to find one but never could. If you live in the 'Burgh or you are near the area and you love Day of the Dead you have to check it out. I was fortunate enough to see it back in 1985 at a theatre in my hometown of Savannah when I was 14 and now I'll be able to see it at 40 in Pittsburgh. Too cool.

http://www.theoakstheater.com/moonlit_matinees.html

AcesandEights
19-May-2011, 04:08 PM
This is incredible. The theater looks quite nice, too, but a print screening of Day in a city I can't make it to just makes me happy and upset all at the same time.

But wait...it's in August...maybe I could make it. Anyone fancy a road trip in August? :)

bassman
19-May-2011, 04:13 PM
Whoa.....LOTS of good movies playing at that theater. Like Aces, this just makes me sad...

thxleo
19-May-2011, 04:48 PM
The Oaks is an awesome little theater. They do this Moonlit Matinee Festival every summer. Several years ago they screened a 35mm print of the original Night of the Living Dead. It was great - the film was in such poor shape that it popped during the middle of the picture and they had to re-splice it. Since I work on booking convention appearances for some of the people who worked on this film, I'm going to contact the theater manager to see if he would be interested in inviting some of them in for a possible Q&A(Lori Cardille, Mark Tierno, Mike Gornick, etc...). Hopefully he will be interested.

Aces, you should really think about making the trek to Pittsburgh. You too Bassman. Live a little!

AcesandEights
19-May-2011, 05:12 PM
Aces, you should really think about making the trek to Pittsburgh. You too Bassman. Live a little!

Where I actually have a few months to plan and an adventurous spouse, I may just do that!

Thanks for making us aware, by the way!

thxleo
19-May-2011, 05:16 PM
Where I actually have a few months to plan and an adventurous spouse, I may just do that!

Thanks for making us aware, by the way!

You got it, Aces. And if you or anyone else decides to make the trip and want to see any Romero locations, I'll gladly take you on a tour!

DjfunkmasterG
20-May-2011, 12:06 AM
I may just have to road trip to this... I had seen Day in theaters during its midnight movie runs quite frequently in 85 and 86. Was always a hollowing good time, and the theater was always near capacity for those midnight screenings.

thxleo
20-May-2011, 04:06 AM
I spoke with the theater manager this afternoon and he loved the idea of having some of the cast & crew come out. So I'm going to contact everyone that I know or deal with here in Pittsburgh that were involved with the film and see if they want to come out. I already know Mark "Beef Treats" Tierno is in, so I'll have to see about Lori Cardille, Mike Gornick, Tim Dileo, Debra Gordon, etc... I can't guarantee that they will say yes, but I will do my best to talk them into it. Also, a guy I know who is a collector of memorabilia from the film and owns some props from the movie wants to come out and display his stuff as well. And I know that Chris "the greek" Stavrakis will be in attendance as well. Chris actually visited the set of Day of the Dead when he was 13 to visit his brother Taso - Chris is always full of great stories too. So it looks like it will shape into a great event. By the way, the night that we talked about doing all of this is for the Friday showing at 10pm on August 19. Saturday the 20th is looking like it might be too hectic due to other commitments that the theater is involved with. That could possibly change, but as of now it's the 19th that all of the extras are being planned for.
So I hope as many as possible of you guys can make it out!

bassman
20-May-2011, 12:08 PM
Damn it Leo.....just twist the knife a little deeper. After that pour some salt on the wound, will ya? :(

AcesandEights
20-May-2011, 01:33 PM
You got it, Aces. And if you or anyone else decides to make the trip and want to see any Romero locations, I'll gladly take you on a tour!

Thanks for the kind offer, you had better believe I will keep it in mind :)

I spoke to the wife and she's quite down with the trip, so I am planning on it and will look into picking up tickets over the next week or so. I'll keep an eye on this thread in the meantime, sounds like you're working on a number of exciting possibilities. :thumbsup:

thxleo
20-May-2011, 03:21 PM
Barring anything that could come up like an acting gig, convention appearance, or just a personal issue so far I've got Mark Tierno, John Amplas, Tim Dileo, and Debra Gordon confirmed for the 19th. I'm still waiting to hear back from Lori Cardille, Tom Savini, and Mike Gornick. As soon as I know something from them I'll let you guys know!

Neil
20-May-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm going to contact the theater manager to see if he would be interested in inviting some of them in for a possible Q&A(Lori Cardille, Mark Tierno, Mike Gornick, etc...). Hopefully he will be interested.

Interesting! Good luck!

Kaos
24-May-2011, 02:02 PM
That is close enough to be feasible.

thxleo
24-May-2011, 02:51 PM
It looks like Lori Cardille won't be a part of the event. She will be on vacation with her family during that time. Still waiting on Savini and Gornick to let me know something.

BTW, Lori shared a very interesting story with me. She once owned a 35mm print of "Day of the Dead" that she took to a print house to get restored. They told her that it could not be salvaged and that they would just throw it away for her. She didn't know better so she took their word for it. So who knows what happened to that print? I'd love to know.

DjfunkmasterG
29-May-2011, 02:43 AM
May also have to make the trek June 10 and in July for Shaun of the Dead and Aliens as well. :elol:

thxleo
06-Jun-2011, 04:46 PM
Okay, Mike Gornick is in for the 19th. Tom Savini is in tentatively. So that makes it John Amplas, Tim Dileo, Mike Gornick, Debra Gordon, Mark Tierno and Tom Savini(again, tentatively).

I hope some of you can make it out for this!

Neil
06-Jun-2011, 05:58 PM
Okay, Mike Gornick is in for the 19th. Tom Savini is in tentatively. So that makes it John Amplas, Tim Dileo, Mike Gornick, Debra Gordon, Mark Tierno and Tom Savini(again, tentatively).

I hope some of you can make it out for this!

Wow! Wow! Wow!

postmortem
12-Aug-2011, 07:40 PM
anyone know if the attending cast will be available for autographs at the Q&A?? Thanks!

thxleo
13-Aug-2011, 12:22 AM
anyone know if the attending cast will be available for autographs at the Q&A?? Thanks!

Yes they will, but they will be charging. Just to give you a heads up.

postmortem
13-Aug-2011, 09:17 PM
Awesome, thanks!