PDA

View Full Version : The Dead Films Blue-Ray?

NetWolf
21-May-2011, 06:49 AM
First off hello everyone! This is my first post on the forum well..... that's a lie, i used to post here about three to four years ago a lot but the forum slowly slipped away from me! and vice versa.

Anyway Just a quick one if i could get some feedback, Has anyone got the dead films on Blue-Ray? I'm sure some of you will do I am about to update my collection and noticed you could get them. Is it worth the extra pounds? how are the extras? i checked some sites for reviews but they were all crap!

---------- Post added at 06:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

Oh and by the way i did notice there have been other threads about this but they seemed more about what ratio and before they had come out, Just interested in how you guys have got along with them.

Neil
21-May-2011, 07:40 AM
First off hello everyone! This is my first post on the forum well..... that's a lie, i used to post here about three to four years ago a lot but the forum slowly slipped away from me! and vice versa.

Anyway Just a quick one if i could get some feedback, Has anyone got the dead films on Blue-Ray? I'm sure some of you will do I am about to update my collection and noticed you could get them. Is it worth the extra pounds? how are the extras? i checked some sites for reviews but they were all crap!

---------- Post added at 06:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

Oh and by the way i did notice there have been other threads about this but they seemed more about what ratio and before they had come out, Just interested in how you guys have got along with them.

Not having a bluray player I can't really help - I know! I'll enter the 21st century one day!

But I'm sure some folks around here will give you a good answer, and maybe when they do, we should add them here? - http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?104-Looking-for-the-best-DVD-or-Soundtrack

NetWolf
21-May-2011, 09:00 AM
Ha ha I'm Just as bad, I just moved into a friends place and he left his Blue-Ray player behind, So thought I better make them my first purchases......not realizing the extra cost i already have at least two copy's of each on straight up dvd. But yes I am sure it would be helpful.

JDFP
21-May-2011, 01:20 PM
I have the 4-disc DVD set of "Dawn" which is fantastic. When a proper blu-ray release of "Dawn" comes out (ahem, the Extended version and not the theatrical cut) I'll be happy to upgrade from DVD to blu-ray for it. Until then, I see no reason for upgrading from DVD to blu-ray for it just to be doubled-dipped on it later onward.

I would like to get "Day" on blu-ray originally -- as far as "Night", the 25th Anniversary DVD works great for me, the only way I'd be interested in going to blu-ray on it really would be if it's a release with a TON of special features on it. But, I'm a special features whore, so that's that.

j.p.

bassman
21-May-2011, 02:15 PM
Night - I can't speak on this one as it hasn't been released on R1 and I don't have a region free player(I don't think, anyway).

Dawn - Buy it. Buy it now. The picture quality is great and it has all the features from the UE dvd set.

Day - A few minor picture quality gripes, but it's still the best the film has ever looked. This also ports over the special features from the dvd release.

Dawn and Day can both be found for 5-10 bucks these days, so you really can't go wrong with that purchase. Get em.

When a proper blu-ray release of "Dawn" comes out (ahem, the Extended version and not the theatrical cut)

As I believe we've discussed in another thread - I wouldn't hold my breath for it. They didn't really remaster the extended scenes for the dvd, so I doubt they'll spend the time to do it for blu ray. Anytime soon at least.

Captrose
21-May-2011, 02:50 PM
I have the Dawn Blue Ray (first Blue Ray I ever bought, just like dvd). It's pretty good but I wouldn't pay a lot of money for it if you already have the 4 disc dvd. Dawn & Day Blue Rays are both available at Dvd Empire for $15 plus shipping (just checked, did not know Night wasn't on Blue Ray. Rather surprised by that. I've seen it for sale on line somewhere, but I think it's just something that was done on someone's computer). Haven't picked up Day, given I have over 400 dvds, I'm being very picky about what movies I upgrade from dvd to Blue Ray without a new special edition.

bassman
21-May-2011, 03:10 PM
Dawn & Day Blue Rays are both available at Dvd Empire for $15 plus shipping.

Don't pay that much for them. It's better to go to your local Best Buy and get them for under 10 bucks. Although these days I know physically going to stores is a strange notion for most people. :p

NetWolf
22-May-2011, 03:03 AM
Thanks a lot for the feedback, I see most of you are speaking about US releases are they the same as this ? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Day-Dead-Blu-ray-Region-Free/dp/B002XT38BE/ref=pd_sim_d_h__1

I was planning to get the trilogy of these types, well I think I am now I can never turn down my beloved dead series especially when they come with posters and a Comic :p

Im most looking forward to checking out Day, that was what i was most intrigued about just because the quality of gore and picture was so much better than Dawn

ProfessorChaos
26-Nov-2011, 06:09 PM
my ladyfriend and i knocked out a bunch of holiday shopping already, and in order to ensure that it "worked okay", i convinced her to let me check out my new blu-ray player, along with the original dead trilogy on blu-ray.

all films look fantastic, i'm totally sold on the technology now. i mean, i realized before from watching blu-rays at my brother's place that they were a huge leap in terms of presentation, but it wasn't till i saw it on my own HDTV from the comfort of my couch that it really sunk in.

probably won't bother getting any other romero films on blu-ray, but owning the big three on the superior format was a no-brainer. i also doubt i'm going to replace very many of my other films, the dvd upscaling looks just fine....but i do plan to buy a few here and there.

bassman
26-Nov-2011, 07:44 PM
You found a good copy of Night on R1?

ProfessorChaos
27-Nov-2011, 04:37 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Night-Living-Dead-Blu-ray-Judith/dp/B002KAIW4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322414748&sr=8-1

while it doesn't say that it's R1 in the amazon description, it works fine in my player. can't recall the model number, but the player i got is a sony of some sort, not sure if it's one that plays multi-region discs.

the picture clarity is amazing. from the very opening shot with the country road and the few other scenes i skipped to, every shot looked remarkably clear. special features are next-to-none, if i recall. i think all they have in the menu is "play" "scene selection" and "trailer".

i plan to keep my copy of the millennium edition dvd for the extras, but as far as picture quality goes, this blu-ray release looks amazing.

Neil
27-Nov-2011, 05:59 PM
Is there a good (PAL) Dawn bluray yet? Ideally with both Romero and Argento cuts on (in HD)? I haven't seen on yet!?

kidgloves
27-Nov-2011, 06:25 PM
Is there a good (PAL) Dawn bluray yet? Ideally with both Romero and Argento cuts on (in HD)? I haven't seen on yet!?

I don't think so.
I stuck the Ultimate Edition of Dawn in my new but basic bluray player last night and i didn't really notice that much difference between it and the bluray tbh. Might just be my player doing a good job upscaling the dvd but i was shocked how good the Ultimate Edition looked.

Neil
27-Nov-2011, 07:30 PM
I don't think so.
I stuck the Ultimate Edition of Dawn in my new but basic bluray player last night and i didn't really notice that much difference between it and the bluray tbh. Might just be my player doing a good job upscaling the dvd but i was shocked how good the Ultimate Edition looked.

I was watching Dr No in HD the other day (satellite). I'm so used to watching it on normal TV broadcasts, I was astounded how much detail there was on a HD broadcast...

kidgloves
27-Nov-2011, 09:34 PM
I was watching Dr No in HD the other day (satellite). I'm so used to watching it on normal TV broadcasts, I was astounded how much detail there was on a HD broadcast...

Aye. You can definately see the difference with HD but its not the same with every movie. I think Dawn and Day had been restored to a certain extent with the last dvd releases. Remember the divimax edition of Day? For a dvd that was outstanding and i think the same Dawn and Day prints have been used for the bluray releases so technically you are watching a better transfer but in real terms there isn't that much difference because its the same print.

krakenslayer
28-Nov-2011, 09:22 AM

There a brilliant Arrow BR set with all three in it, but the Argento and Extended cuts are just DVD, only the Theatrical cut is BR. I was at a showing of Dawn and Day in Glasgow last year to promote it, and in-between Ken Foree and Joe Plato retailing us with tales, the distributors talked a little about the release. Apparently they couldn't find prints of the theatrical and Argento cuts in good enough quality to make a Blu-Ray worthwhile.

Neil
28-Nov-2011, 12:05 PM
There a brilliant Arrow BR set with all three in it, but the Argento and Extended cuts are just DVD, only the Theatrical cut is BR. I was at a showing of Dawn and Day in Glasgow last year to promote it, and in-between Ken Foree and Joe Plato retailing us with tales, the distributors talked a little about the release. Apparently they couldn't find prints of the theatrical and Argento cuts in good enough quality to make a Blu-Ray worthwhile.

Sorry, so which is in BR format?

bassman
28-Nov-2011, 12:12 PM

They've done an absolutely phenomenal job with the Bond Blu Rays. Like you, I was completely blown away the first time I saw Dr. No on the format. It looked like it was just filmed yesterday...

Sorry, so which is in BR format?

I believe he's saying like the R1 release, only the US theatrical cut is available on Blu Ray. The Argento and Extended Cuts are currently only available on regular DVD.

krakenslayer
28-Nov-2011, 01:41 PM
I believe he's saying like the R1 release, only the US theatrical cut is available on Blu Ray. The Argento and Extended Cuts are currently only available on regular DVD.

Yeah. The set contains three discs: 1x theatrical cut on Blu-Ray, 1x Argento cut on DVD, 1x extended cut on DVD.