PDA

View Full Version : I was talking to Gary Klar yesterday, and he said that...

Philly_SWAT
22-May-2011, 10:53 PM
he agreed with my assessment that Day of the Dead would have to be set further in the future than Land of the Dead. He said that he thought that as soon as he saw Land.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l150/Philly_SWAT/Celebrities/DSC07073.jpg
I asked John Amplas, but he did not offer an opinion one way or the other. However, he did say that in his opinion, Martin was just a troubled youth, and that he, not Joe Shelby, was Martinez in Dawn.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l150/Philly_SWAT/Celebrities/DSC07075.jpg

AcesandEights
22-May-2011, 11:43 PM
I still see the theory as unnecessary based on many things I have posted before, but I always like to see you posting, Philly :)

JDFP
23-May-2011, 12:16 AM
Haha, vindication!

If Steel says "Day" was after "Land" than so it was!

I could just imagine that conversation: "F*ckin' A Day was after f*ckin' Land!" :D:p

It does make me wonder how many folks associated with the Holy Trilogy come by and actually read HPotD. They probably laugh at us for all our fanatical fandomness.

j.p.

Philly_SWAT
23-May-2011, 03:08 AM
Haha, vindication!

If Steel says "Day" was after "Land" than so it was!

I could just imagine that conversation: "F*ckin' A Day was after f*ckin' Land!" :D:p

It does make me wonder how many folks associated with the Holy Trilogy come by and actually read HPotD. They probably laugh at us for all our fanatical fandomness.

j.p.

Two things...one) he actually signed an autograph "Fuckin' A Biggest piece of meat in the cave"> :)

two) I dont think they think about stuff to much like us at all. But Gary Klar is a maniac!

kortick
23-May-2011, 03:19 AM
Yeah Gary is a great guy.

My friend Ray publishes SCARS magazine and its
funny cuz he was here at my house hanging and first Gary
called and then like 10 mins later Ken Foree called.
It was like ok, one of them days I guess.

Gary is one of the coolest ppl u could imagine.
When they had the last RI Horror Film fest
they showed Day and he came to the screening
and introduced the movie then after he answered questions
and signed stuff for people.
For many ppl it was the first time seeing Day on the big screen
and having Gary there made it real special for a lot of them.

SymphonicX
23-May-2011, 07:11 AM
Gary's a legend! Anyone remember when he popped up on a show apparently showing him he was part of an adopted family or something? Very random...

As for the debate of Land vs Day in terms of which came first....I dunno, is there any real tangiable evidence to suggest that Day took place anywhere near Pittsburgh? Cos Land only hints at it marginally....

I've always thought the events of Day took place near Florida and surrounding areas due to the sunny climate and whatnot. Just because there's only 7 people alive in THAT part of the US doesn't mean that cities haven't thrived elsewhere. The people in day were isolated for hundreds of miles around them but I never thought it meant that the entire species was gone - that would take a long, long long time really, and there were bound to be entire cities that managed to wall themselves away from the problem - just not on that side of the coast where our friends from Day were...

kinda like how some monkeys have evolved differently to others - some of them walk, talk, and use cell phones and the others have just figured out how to use sticks to depth test a river...so you know, different demographics, different outcomes....

bassman
23-May-2011, 12:09 PM
:lol:

Good ol Philly. Still holding strong with the belief that Day comes after Land.

Great pictures. :)

BillyRay
23-May-2011, 06:15 PM
Gary's a legend! Anyone remember when he popped up on a show apparently showing him he was part of an adopted family or something? Very random...

He handed our crew a DVD at Con-tamination 2010 with the Dateline NBC story and some talk show appearances. His Bio parents gave him up, as well as @7 other siblings. I won't spoil the story, but he finds out in the process of searching for his brothers and sisters that many of them were closer than he thought...

Gary Klar is a helluva sweet guy, loves the fans. Can't wait to see him again at Con-tam next month.

Thorn
24-May-2011, 03:25 PM

lol that was my first thought, and of course taking the time to let us all know there is someone who supports that side of the debate.

I still disagree, and still love you like a brother Phil.

See you after the zeds walk we will be two of the sad sacks that make it, sure of that much if nothing else.

JDFP
24-May-2011, 03:44 PM
Eh, "Land of the Dead" isn't in the same dead universe as the original trilogy anyway (it's part of the second trilogy), so the debate really is non-existent anyway.

:p:D

j.p.

bassman
24-May-2011, 04:49 PM
I know it all boils down to opinion, but how exactly is Land a part of this second trilogy again? Diary is clearly starting over and is the beginning of Romero's second series. Land was conceived, written, and produced as a film that takes place in the same universe as Night, Dawn, and Day.

You could argue that it's not part of the holy trilogy because of your opinion of the film, but it was clearly meant to be a part of the same universe. I say universe because none of the original films were truly connected, but they were all part of the same outbreak and Land is no different. Even though it's just a nod to the fans, Land even has Savini's Dawn character in a cameo for pete's sake! :p

Again, it's all down to opinion but I think the people that exclude Land from the original trilogy are only doing so because they don't like the final result. They don't want it to taint the greatness of the trilogy. That's all good and well, but it doesn't change the fact that it was intended to be included. After Land was when Romero went back and started fresh with Diary and recurring characters. Also with the intention of continuing this new series into more films that have yet to be made.

JDFP
24-May-2011, 05:44 PM
I know it all boils down to opinion, but how exactly is Land a part of this second trilogy again? Diary is clearly starting over and is the beginning of Romero's second series. Land was conceived, written, and produced as a film that takes place in the same universe as Night, Dawn, and Day.

You could argue that it's not part of the holy trilogy because of your opinion of the film, but it was clearly meant to be a part of the same universe. I say universe because none of the original films were truly connected, but they were all part of the same outbreak and Land is no different. Even though it's just a nod to the fans, Land even has Savini's Dawn character in a cameo for pete's sake! :p

Again, it's all down to opinion but I think the people that exclude Land from the original trilogy are only doing so because they don't like the final result. They don't want it to taint the greatness of the trilogy. That's all good and well, but it doesn't change the fact that it was intended to be included. After Land was when Romero went back and started fresh with Diary and recurring characters. Also with the intention of continuing this new series into more films that have yet to be made.

Well, you're right, it's all just a matter of opinion. I just personally see "Land" as the final part (filmed out of order) of the chronological order of "Diary" and then "Survival" and then "Land". There's nothing wrong with seeing a continuation of "Land" as a follow up (er, prequel or sequel?) to "Day" of course, but I just have a hard time fitting "Land" into the same universe as the original trilogy. Nothing wrong with seeing it either way, of course, it's just a matter of personal preference I suppose. You have to admit, it is one way to dismiss the issue of which would come first -- "Land" or "Day" (which if we were to do this I'd be with Philly in clearly going with "Land" being prior to "Day") -- by not including them in the same group of films though.

j.p.

SymphonicX
24-May-2011, 05:54 PM
Land wasn't actually that bad....Just missing that movie "magic"...

MoonSylver
24-May-2011, 06:21 PM

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/9/9/youbetterliste128654516031137167.jpg

EvilNed
24-May-2011, 07:07 PM

Yeah, they clearly tried to maintain the look of fashion and level of technology established in Night and Dawn.

bassman
24-May-2011, 07:30 PM
Fashion and technology? You're kidding, right? :rockbrow:

AcesandEights
24-May-2011, 08:48 PM
Yeah, they clearly tried to maintain the look of fashion and level of technology established in Night and Dawn.

There was a level of fashion & technology, other than pre-millenial, maintained through any of the original films?

Philly_SWAT
25-May-2011, 12:58 AM
As for the debate of Land vs Day in terms of which came first....I dunno, is there any real tangiable evidence to suggest that Day took place anywhere near Pittsburgh? Cos Land only hints at it marginally....

I've always thought the events of Day took place near Florida and surrounding areas due to the sunny climate and whatnot. Just because there's only 7 people alive in THAT part of the US doesn't mean that cities haven't thrived elsewhere. The people in day were isolated for hundreds of miles around them but I never thought it meant that the entire species was gone - that would take a long, long long time really, and there were bound to be entire cities that managed to wall themselves away from the problem - just not on that side of the coast where our friends from Day were...

kinda like how some monkeys have evolved differently to others - some of them walk, talk, and use cell phones and the others have just figured out how to use sticks to depth test a river...so you know, different demographics, different outcomes....
All evidence in Day points to it being in Florida (except for the whole 'cant have underground bases in Florida'). But the location has little to do with the timeline.

The passages of time does not make the truth any less the truth!:)

Yeah, the pics were cool to get. Kind of a random, last minute, never hard of before (well, it is the first (and last?) year) convention.

lol that was my first thought, and of course taking the time to let us all know there is someone who supports that side of the debate.

I still disagree, and still love you like a brother Phil.

See you after the zeds walk we will be two of the sad sacks that make it, sure of that much if nothing else.
Yeah I love you like a brother too Thorn.

Eh, "Land of the Dead" isn't in the same dead universe as the original trilogy anyway (it's part of the second trilogy), so the debate really is non-existent anyway.

:p:D

j.p.
Land would definitely be part of the original "quad-riliogy". The Savini character confirms that for me.