PDA

View Full Version : I am not a Country and Western music fan, but...

Kaos
23-May-2011, 02:32 PM
... I bet there are many professional musicians who would kill for the skill and mastery of their instrument that is demonstrated here:

ipweRXwPFiQ

The dancing pigs are just icing on the cake. :D

Mr. Clean
23-May-2011, 03:20 PM
That's Hee Haw. Good show for Country Music Legends! Love me some Merle Haggard, George Jones, and Willie Nelson!

JDFP
23-May-2011, 03:41 PM
I love Country music (did my avatar give it away?). But, I'll be the first to admit real Country music passed away somewhere around 1985 after being in death throes for quite a few years prior to then. The "Country" music today (ahem, Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban, etc.) is *not* Country music but is rather bubblegum cosmopolitan pop dressed up with a twang. Sorry, Taylor, honey, but a real Country female singer like Jessi Colter, Loretta Lynn, or Tammy Wynette would be able to out-do you in every way possible (especially singing) any day of the week.

One of the last real Country singers still around is Merle Haggard. I had the profound pleasure of seeing Mr. Haggard in concert at the Tennessee Theatre back in March and it was one of the most amazing concerts of my life. George Jones is still around (when he ain't drunk), as is Willie Nelson, but we've lost most of the really talented and great musicians that made the music what it is: my personal musical hero Waylon Jennings, as well as Johnny Cash, Johnny Paycheck, etc. have all passed onto the Great Ponderosa onward.

Ah, hell, now I'm getting depressed just thinking of the current state of music which is mostly just horrible. At least we have Shooter Jennings and Hank III around to keep it going a bit.

j.p.

bassman
23-May-2011, 03:56 PM
The "Country" music today (ahem, Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban, etc.) is *not* Country music but is rather bubblegum cosmopolitan pop dressed up with a twang.

QFT.

The guy in the video is certainly good, but he's not the only quick picker on the gitfiddle.

JDFP
23-May-2011, 04:24 PM
QFT.

The guy in the video is certainly good, but he's not the only quick picker on the gitfiddle.

I have no idea what QFT means, but I agree Roy Clark is good.

j.p.

bassman
23-May-2011, 04:40 PM
Quoted For Truth

Publius
25-May-2011, 09:48 AM
... I bet there are many professional musicians who would kill for the skill and mastery of their instrument that is demonstrated here:

Yeah, Roy Clark is awesome. Other country musicians with impressive guitar skills include Junior Brown and Brad Paisley.

Tricky
25-May-2011, 01:24 PM
Have you guys ever checked out "Hayseed Dixie"? they're a bunch of hillbillies who mostly do cover versions of rock acts like Kiss, AC/DC, Queen, Beatles, Guns N Roses etc which I think are great if somewhat cheesy! The best part is their talent though, those guys can really play their instruments, I'd sell my left nadger to be as good as they are on guitars & banjos, look them up on YouTube!

bassman
25-May-2011, 01:31 PM
Have you guys ever checked out "Hayseed Dixie"?

I actually thought of them earlier in this thread but couldn't remember their name. Funny stuff!

sAWl5peI8HY

rongravy
26-May-2011, 12:44 AM
The dancing pigs are just icing on the cake. :D
They always are...

That's Hee Haw. Good show for Country Music Legends! Love me some Merle Haggard, George Jones, and Willie Nelson!
Grandpa could pick that ol' banjo pretty good hisself.

Country music passed away somewhere around 1985...

One of the last real Country singers still around is Merle Haggard. ...my personal musical hero Waylon Jennings, as well as Johnny Cash, Johnny Paycheck, etc. have all passed onto the Great Ponderosa onward.

Yes, country has been dead for so long that the fork they stuck in it is rusted...
I got some old Merle, and some great early Waylon too. I loves me some outlaw country. David Allen Coe is sweeet, too.

Yeah, Roy Clark is awesome. Other country musicians with impressive guitar skills include Junior Brown and Brad Paisley.
Dooooood, my sister got me into Jerry Reed some years back. Him with other big names, too, and his picking always blew them away. Jerry is/was a GAWD.

Have you guys ever checked out "Hayseed Dixie"?
Heck yeah. My friend sent a bunch to me. Awesome stuff.

I grew up watching, and hating, Hee Haw as a kid. Mostly on youthfully rebellious principles...
Always thinking back on it, I loved it deep down. I tried to tell myself it was just me waiting for Love Boat/Fantasy Island to hurry up and start, but yeah...
Good times with Roy and Buck and the gang.

MikePizzoff
26-May-2011, 01:03 AM
Quoted For Truth

I always thought QFT stood for 'Quite Fucking True'. I, too, agree with JP. While I'm not a country music fan, I can't stand when people call that garbage 'country'.