PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Aticle about AMC and how The Walking Dead has affected the channel

kidgloves
27-May-2011, 08:42 PM
The Zombies at AMC's Doorstep (http://nymag.com/arts/tv/upfronts/2011/amc-2011-5/)

bassman
27-May-2011, 10:49 PM
Great article. Thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

While I can see where the "mainstream success" could be a problem with the other shows, I don't really consider TWD to be a "mainstream" show. Sure, it produced AMC's largest viewing audiences, but they certainly didn't know it was going to turn out that way. They took a HUGE leap of faith on TWD just like they did with the previous shows. And to say TWD is "Just a show about zombies"?!? That to me shows a person that didn't quite get what the show was about.

And while I LOVE Bryan Cranston, he's going to blame TWD for the failure of his pitch? What about the 500+ shows that were turned down BEFORE TWD? True, the man has participated in one of their best shows, but that doesn't make his ideas the greatest on earth. Maybe it was a great pitch, but being turned down by the network doesn't seem to be solely TWD's fault, imo.

Out of the whole article, this snippet stuck with me the most:

Not network numbers, not HBO numbers, but pretty stunning for a channel that was barely running original programming five years ago.

That really is an amazing feat if you remember AMC from ten or so years back. They've definitely made their mark on television programming in a short amount of time.