PDA

View Full Version : Calling all interwebz gurus

shootemindehead
30-May-2011, 03:20 PM
I've been with my service provider for about 6 years now and have never had an issue. The price hasn't changed and they've never been a problem, neither has my connection which, while never being uber, suited my needs. I used to be on a 4mb up /256k down rate and used to get around 120 - 160 k/sec transfer rate. As I said noting amazing, but I was fine with it and could get a gig down in just over an hour or so. Recently, I noticed on my bill that I am now on a 5mb down/384 up, but now I am getting around 60 to 90 k/sec transfer rate. It takes around 1hr 30mins (or more) to download around 500 mb, which ain't good. The is happening any time of the day, across different downloads, so I know it's not a contention issue.

While, I am competent enough with PC hardware, I'm not that techie when it comes to the web, I have to admit. A lot of it flies over my head, so is there anyone on here that can help me out? Before I contact my ISP...and make a fool of myself.

Kaos
30-May-2011, 03:34 PM
I don't think there is any harm in complaining to your ISP for higher rates for higher speed, but they them only providing the higher rate. What they may initially suggest (and it sometimes actually works) is to do a complete reboot of your dsl/cable modem. This usually entails shutting down your computer, pulling the power plug for 30 seconds to a minute, plug in the power to your modem, then booting your machine.

Andy
30-May-2011, 03:58 PM
First thing to do is what kaos said with the reboot of your router and contacting your ISP, bear in mind that any internet speed you are billed for is estimated and subject to factors such as the distance of your home from the nearest junction and line age and quality in your area, your ISP may try and help you or they may just hide behind those excuses depending on where you are..

shootemindehead
30-May-2011, 04:55 PM
Hi lads,

I've already tried the reboot thing and besides, I plug in the modem fresh every morning. So, it's rebooted all the time.

Thing is, it's only a very recent drop in download speed. I understand the distance and exchange thing, but I think I am near enough to an exchange here in Dublin. I'm in the city, not the wilds or anything. Also, I had much higher speeds before. I haven't always been stuck at 60 to 90 k/sec.

Andy
30-May-2011, 06:51 PM
Fair enough, go call your ISP then lol

DjfunkmasterG
30-May-2011, 08:51 PM
Do you use Cable????

If so ask them to come out to your location and check the line. a Noisy line can really screw with download speeds. If a trap in the ground is bad... that can slow you down a lot as well.

shootemindehead
30-May-2011, 11:23 PM
According to web stats, my noise is "Local Line Attn 57.5 dB ". I don't know if that's bad.

Mitchified
30-May-2011, 11:30 PM
According to web stats, my noise is "Local Line Attn 57.5 dB ". I don't know if that's bad.

It means that the killer is calling from inside the house.

Actually, I have no idea what that means, either. The overall slowness you're getting could mean that they have more customer load now than they used to.

shootemindehead
31-May-2011, 01:21 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_PPgU44tBL8E/SZg3KNABN0I/AAAAAAAAAnA/CQz-THh9_7A/s400/stranger+calls1.JPG

Bu..but..but...all I wanted was Broad band...and now I have to die?