PDA

View Full Version : Care home abuse - Panorama investigation

Tricky
02-Jun-2011, 08:23 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011pwt6/Panorama_Undercover_Care_The_Abuse_Exposed/

I dont know if anyone saw this programme, but its shocking the abuse that these so called "care" workers are dishing out on the vulnerable people in their care. I bet its far more widespread than just that place though, very similar to when I used to work on various pig farms in my late teens, there were a lot of aggressive sick ****holes who should never have been allowed to work with animals, yet their abusive treatment of them was usually ignored

Danny
02-Jun-2011, 08:44 AM
its a 'public secret' in england the us though aint it? go in a carehome and get treated like a piece of shit till you die. Till someone tries to change it its not gonna change.

AcesandEights
02-Jun-2011, 01:18 PM
its a 'public secret' in england the us though aint it? go in a carehome and get treated like a piece of shit till you die.

True enough. My mother has worked in elder care in a few different capacities over the last 20 years and encountered, and on occasion, reported some shit.

Till someone tries to change it its not gonna change.
Even then, it would have to be some sort of combination of a culture/values shift and a change in the way things work at these facilities from a practical standpoint. Even then it'd still happen, just not as much.

childofgilead
02-Jun-2011, 10:39 PM
I see this every day. You wouldn't believe the turnover rate for this "industry", nevermind those who are with family members who only want them there for the money they bring in.

If someone has even the least bit of humanity, it cuts deep.

Neil
03-Jun-2011, 01:09 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011pwt6/Panorama_Undercover_Care_The_Abuse_Exposed/

I dont know if anyone saw this programme, but its shocking the abuse that these so called "care" workers are dishing out on the vulnerable people in their care. I bet its far more widespread than just that place though, very similar to when I used to work on various pig farms in my late teens, there were a lot of aggressive sick ****holes who should never have been allowed to work with animals, yet their abusive treatment of them was usually ignored
I couldn't bring myself to watch it. I knew it would depress me too much! I'm a wuss!

Yojimbo
07-Jun-2011, 08:23 AM
Though I was unable to view the piece on the link because I am in the states, I get from the content of the posts that elderly patients were abused by a few workers and find myself reminded of a case recently in California where this worker at a skilled nursing care facility got turned in by a coworker who witnessed this guy body slamming elderly patients because he thought it was funny. Case went to trial and this guy got serious time. I heard that when he got to jail the other prisoners turned on him since they knew what he was in for and that he deserved to be "regulated" - I can only hope that the monsters in this particular case get the same sort of justice. The world would be a better place if creeps like this get beaten and humiliated in a very public and visible manner.