PDA

View Full Version : Tron 3

Neil
08-Jun-2011, 09:06 AM
Well, I'll kick the thread off :)

Talk about script writers etc...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Tron-3-Gets-A-Writer-Franchise-Future-May-Depend-On-Your-Kids-25102.html

MinionZombie
08-Jun-2011, 10:11 AM
I don't get why some people bitch about the script for Legacy - I recently re-watched the movie and it's a good script. It's tight and moves on at a nice old pace and has a much better central plot than the original movie, IMHO, and it kept me locked-in throughout even on a second viewing. Indeed the original movie, or rather the in-between area of the two movies' story, provides an excellent backstory to kick off and feed through Tron Legacy ... even if there were additional scenes added to boost it - it worked out very nicely in the end, I felt.

And where was all this "corporate intrigue" stuff in Tron Legacy that the writer of that article is pissing and moaning about? There's a bit of it infused into the early pre-Grid portion of the movie, but that's during a daring infiltration and escape from Encom Tower itself. If anything, it's the first movie that has much more of that, as it's essentially about Jeff Bridges breaking into a computer to reveal that the boss stole the videogames he created and took the credit for himself.

Although seeing as Legacy did nicely for itself, I'd hope that they don't decide its fate based on a kids TV show version (although the annoyingly brief preview of it on the Blu-Ray did look pretty cool), and I also hope that they don't dumb it down/kidify it - I felt that Tron Legacy struck a nice balance, personally.

Neil
08-Jun-2011, 10:45 AM
I don't get why some people bitch about the script for Legacy - I recently re-watched the movie and it's a good script. It's tight and moves on at a nice old pace and has a much better central plot than the original movie, IMHO, and it kept me locked-in throughout even on a second viewing. Indeed the original movie, or rather the in-between area of the two movies' story, provides an excellent backstory to kick off and feed through Tron Legacy ... even if there were additional scenes added to boost it - it worked out very nicely in the end, I felt.

And where was all this "corporate intrigue" stuff in Tron Legacy that the writer of that article is pissing and moaning about? There's a bit of it infused into the early pre-Grid portion of the movie, but that's during a daring infiltration and escape from Encom Tower itself. If anything, it's the first movie that has much more of that, as it's essentially about Jeff Bridges breaking into a computer to reveal that the boss stole the videogames he created and took the credit for himself.

Although seeing as Legacy did nicely for itself, I'd hope that they don't decide its fate based on a kids TV show version (although the annoyingly brief preview of it on the Blu-Ray did look pretty cool), and I also hope that they don't dumb it down/kidify it - I felt that Tron Legacy struck a nice balance, personally.

Yes, it was OK... I thought 'Tron' himself was wasted though :(

Trin
08-Jun-2011, 03:46 PM
I thought the movie was pretty good.

I liked the corporate stuff... it is central to the conflict in the real world and served to establish Sam's character.

I thought all of the backstory telling how the original grid morphed into the present was well done. I love how Flynn got trapped, how Sam went to find him, how CLU had changed, etc..

I was not too big on the ISO concept, but throw a little Olivia into the mix and I stop thinking too hard. I also thought some of the other characters were too human-ish. And I agree thta TRON got the shaft, but that just makes it a bigger triumph when he returns in the third movie.

Let's face it... the ending was bad. The conflict was bad. The idea that CLU was attempting to bring some kind of army into the real world does not work on many levels. They violated their own technology rules blatantly. That is a level of plot screwy that rivals Matrix sequels. The whole deal with Flynn having to reintegrate with CLU ... does that make a lick of sense? And the grid getting blown up as a result... again... what?

I can see the reviewer's point that the writing was bad if you think about attempting to pick up the storyline for a further sequel. Ostensibly the grid is destroyed and Flynn is gone. Where do you go from there? I think some revisionist history is almost required to move on. But I'd love to see a TRON 3 so I'll accept some of that.

MinionZombie
09-Jun-2011, 10:00 AM
I dug the ISO concept personally, and was the Grid actually destroyed? I didn't particularly read it that way personally - and they've got a massive path to take for a third film - they've got an ISO out in the real world, and like has been said, more of the Encom stuff with Boxleitner ... plus it makes sense that Tron wasn't in it much because the heart of the plot is surrounding the two Flynn's and the development of the Grid itself - if you tried to cram in a shedload more Tron/Bradley stuff it'd be either too long a film, or too skimpy on the main thrust of the plot - you've got to leave some avenues open for a third film, and methinks that's where a third film would go.

Trin
09-Jun-2011, 02:20 PM
The ISOs thing didn't hurt the movie for me, I just wasn't that much for it. I do think it fit in with the Flynn character and his "thinking big" persona. Like the guy that everyone sees as being able to pull of miracles actually pulled off a real miracle.

As for the grid, wasn't there the whole "reintegration will destroy them both and the grid" stuff bantered around? I thought we pretty well saw the entire city getting digitally blown away after Flynn and CLU merged? I could be wrong on that. I've only seen the movie ending once.

If the grid and Flynn weren't destroyed than it brings into question Sam's actions after escaping. Granted we don't see very much, but what we do see shows him NOT continuing to try to save his dad.

On the whole I'm still pretty stoked about a TRON 3. They could explain away all my concerns easily... "Oh, look a page from the backup server! I guess dad was genius after all."

MinionZombie
09-Jun-2011, 03:09 PM
As for the ending:

The explosion destroys Flynn, CLU, and CLU's army - but not the Grid itself - and naturally Flynn will have to come back somehow. It's Flynn, dude! :D Plus Sam backs up the Grid onto a flash drive that he takes with him - so naturally he'll continue work on the Grid at Encom, because he appoints Alan Bradley as chairman.

Neil
30-Jan-2012, 03:57 PM
Bruce Boxleitner says it's go!

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Tron-3-Is-A-Done-Deal-According-To-Bruce-Boxleitner-26478.html

MinionZombie
30-Jan-2012, 04:57 PM
Bruce Boxleitner says it's go!

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Tron-3-Is-A-Done-Deal-According-To-Bruce-Boxleitner-26478.html

Well I hope it really is a go ... it could be him just saying that to get the internet a-flutter to show the Disney folks that there's a passion for it out there ... but I really hope it is gonna happen as I dug the hell out of Tron Legacy and would really enjoy a third. :)