PDA

View Full Version : Tom Hanks producing 6 seasons of American Gods for HBO?

AcesandEights
14-Jun-2011, 07:26 PM
Tom Hanks possibly producing multiple seasons based off of Gaiman's American Gods novel.

http://io9.com/5811012/tom-hanks-producing-6-seasons-of-neil-gaimans-american-gods-for-hbo

The series-in-development, revolving around the question "are you a god if no one believes in you?" is executive produced by [Gary] Goetzman and Hanks, with Bob Richardson, and Gaiman on board as executive producer and writer.

Each of the six seasons will be of 10-12, hour-long episodes with a budget of around $35-40 million per season, targeted to debut on the cable powerhouse in 2013 at the earliest [...] American Gods will be effects-heavy to do justice to the awe-inspiring power of the divine beings. "There are some crazy things in there. We'll probably be doing more effects in there than it's been done on a television series," said Goetzman.

BillyRay
14-Jun-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm not sure how they're gonna stretch the book out for 6 seasons of 10-12 episodes, even if they add the material from Anasi Boys.

Perhaps a scriptwriting commitment from Mr.Gaiman?

MoonSylver
14-Jun-2011, 10:22 PM
And if he thought he caught a lot of shite from christian extremists for "The DaVinci Code", what do you reckon the fallout will be fro this? :eek: (not that he's overly worried I'm sure, just a passing thought.) ;)

Purge
14-Jun-2011, 11:52 PM
Tom Hanks is actually doing something that isn't about WWII? Wow.

Crappingbear
16-Jun-2011, 01:54 PM
American Gods is an old favorite of mine, I hope they don't mess it up. The characters of Shadow and Wednesday are critical so the wrong actors will kill it. I don't get HBO so will have to wait till the dvds come out. Oh well...

Neil
16-Jun-2011, 02:26 PM
American Gods is an old favorite of mine, I hope they don't mess it up. The characters of Shadow and Wednesday are critical so the wrong actors will kill it. I don't get HBO so will have to wait till the dvds come out. Oh well...

So this is one to watch then is it?

krisvds
16-Jun-2011, 05:40 PM
So this is one to watch then is it?

Well, if they manage to capture the spirit of the novel; yes!!!
It's easily one of Gaiman's best novels. Very much recommended if you haven't read it yet.

clanglee
17-Jun-2011, 02:38 AM
Very cool. HBO seems the place to go for good Fantasy series right now. True Blood, Game of Thrones, and now this! I havn't read the books, but my sister is all about them. Been meaning to give them a whirl at some time.

Neil
22-Sep-2011, 11:26 AM
Well, if they manage to capture the spirit of the novel; yes!!!
It's easily one of Gaiman's best novels. Very much recommended if you haven't read it yet.

Well, just finished the book.... Didn't really do it for me I'm afraid :(

zombieking
29-Sep-2011, 06:56 AM
Well, just finished the book.... Didn't really do it for me I'm afraid :(

I was planning to read it but now i am not sure