PDA

View Full Version : Falling Skies (No Spoilers)

JDFP
20-Jun-2011, 03:10 AM
Just caught the premiere of this on TNT and all I have to say is: WOW!

It completely blew any expectations I had out of the water as being absolutely phenomenal. I've been waiting for another great sci-fi series since Battlestar: Galactica ended and thought it would be hard pressed for a series to live up to that caliber of excellence. It seems I've been mistaken as TNT has delivered (at least with the first two episodes for the premiere tonight).

I will definitely be watching regularly and have hopes and faith this show will continue to deliver in such a way as it did earlier tonight. It's like a mixture between "V" (the original miniseries with Michael Ironside and Freddy Krueger (Robert Englund) none of that new bullshit) and "Battlestar: Galactica" as it focuses on a ragtag team of survivors (military and civilian) fighting together against the already invaded aliens to try to get them to leave what's left of the world after they've already destroyed most of the U.S. and the rest of humanity.

It's also got a fantastic cast, Will Patton is the leader of the military group who plays a tough-as-nails former reservist captain who is trying to protect the 300+ civilians with his small military force and lead them to safety away from the cities (very reminiscent of Admiral Adama).

Here's the preview for the series which is executive produced by Spielberg:

bk8HmvUy9lg

I can't recommend this show enough!

j.p.

Tom Price
20-Jun-2011, 03:28 AM
Walking "touchy feely soap opera" Dead has competition from this show among others.
Unlike last year when it was the only thing on that box you simian mammals worship.

Publius
20-Jun-2011, 09:05 AM
I agree, it was very good. I'm looking forward to seeing them provide more backstory as the series progresses (the trailer has a lot more "first contact" type scenes whereas the premiere provided all the backstory through children's drawings).

Danny
05-Jul-2011, 10:54 AM
So 4 episodes in and im really digging this. Little slow and suffers from the "lets film in abandoned areas for ease of doing so" type scene building but on the whole i like it. Not spectacular though, you kinda get the feeling theres no way other than to force drama that these guys arent going to win everything forever at the end but i want to know more about the aliens and thats enough to keep me watching a show that probably got started with "hey, the masses liked district 9, lets steal that but make the aliens bad guys!" in some boardroom. Still scenes like the main guy dragging his way through the hallway in episode 3 have me way more engaged and entertained than pretty much any of the best bits of the walking dead tv adaptation. That and its nice to have good sci fi on tv again.

blind2d
05-Jul-2011, 03:33 PM
The aliens are the bad guys? Screw that, totally played. I want one (a sci-fi show or movie) where Earth gets its ass handed to it by aliens that really do know better than us. That would at least be a tiny bit less overused.
"Ooh, or a giant wheelbarrow full of salt and bits of glass!" - 2D

MikePizzoff
05-Jul-2011, 04:11 PM
Wow, this looks incredible. Somehow I haven't even heard of this until now. Anyone else notice the Wilhelm scream in the preview?

Walking "touchy feely soap opera" Dead

Looks like someone never read the books...

Danny
05-Jul-2011, 04:20 PM
Looks like someone never read the books...

to be fair the show is soap opera bullshit compared to the vastly superior source material.

clanglee
06-Jul-2011, 12:56 AM
you simian mammals

Are there non Mammalian Simians?

I enjoy the show so far. . .it's pretty engaging. It's starting to get a bit dry and repetitive tho. . .so they will hopefully spice it up a bit in following episodes. But so so far. . . not too shabby.

kidgloves
06-Jul-2011, 09:44 AM
Enjoying this as well. Like Danny says, a bit slow to begin with but has started to get interesting in episode 4.

Publius
08-Jul-2011, 01:06 AM
Are there non Mammalian Simians?

No, but there are non-simian mammals.

Falling Skies isn't bad, but suffers from from two common movie/TV errors:

1. The "bad guys can't hit the broad side of a barn syndrome": why does it it take these super-advanced alien mechs so long to designate a target with their multiple laser beams from a few yards away? Oh yeah, cuz the makers of the show want dramatic pauses as our heros notice the laser dots and jump out of the way, that's why. Any human IDPA shooter would be able to do far better.

2. The "small world, innit? effect": The hero's son sees a column of abducted children trudging along the road during a scouting mission and - whaddya know, it's the hero's other son! They go to rescue that son and - whaddya know, the abducted kid standing next to him is the son of another guy in the hero's small group of fighters. The hero's group meets a scientist who thinks he's figured out something important about the aliens and - whaddya know, it's an old friend who also happens to be the man who watched the hero's wife die during the alien invasion. Small world, innit?

Mitchified
08-Jul-2011, 04:11 AM
No, but there are non-simian mammals.

Falling Skies isn't bad, but suffers from from two common movie/TV errors:

1. The "bad guys can't hit the broad side of a barn syndrome": why does it it take these super-advanced alien mechs so long to designate a target with their multiple laser beams from a few yards away? Oh yeah, cuz the makers of the show want dramatic pauses as our heros notice the laser dots and jump out of the way, that's why. Any human IDPA shooter would be able to do far better.

2. The "small world, innit? effect": The hero's son sees a column of abducted children trudging along the road during a scouting mission and - whaddya know, it's the hero's other son! They go to rescue that son and - whaddya know, the abducted kid standing next to him is the son of another guy in the hero's small group of fighters. The hero's group meets a scientist who thinks he's figured out something important about the aliens and - whaddya know, it's an old friend who also happens to be the man who watched the hero's wife die during the alien invasion. Small world, innit?

I'm with you for the majority of this, but the part about seeing his son in the group of children actually makes sense. They're still in the general area that they were living in when the invasion happened; odds are if the son was captured and put into service/slavery, he'd be put to work somewhere in that area. So that part I can buy.

Tricky
08-Jul-2011, 09:09 AM
I watched the first episode the other night and couldnt get into it to be honest, the sickly sweet family values dialogue and cheesy hero type speeches didnt engage me, and I couldnt help feeling that many of the ideas were heavily borrowed from elsewhere, the big alien base structure thing reminded me of District 9 as did the mechs, and the alien bug things that controlled people seemed a rip off of those things on that series "Millenium" with Lance Henrikson that used to be on years ago. I know its hard to do alien invasion stories without being much like all the others, but this one is painfully obvious that Spielberg is involved and doesnt break any new ground. I'll watch a few more episodes to see if it draws me in, but not expecting much. Special effects are nice though!

Neil
08-Jul-2011, 11:27 AM
The reviews of this weren't very +ve so I skipped it!?

kidgloves
08-Jul-2011, 05:01 PM
I watched the first episode the other night and couldnt get into it to be honest, the sickly sweet family values dialogue and cheesy hero type speeches didnt engage me, and I couldnt help feeling that many of the ideas were heavily borrowed from elsewhere, the big alien base structure thing reminded me of District 9 as did the mechs, and the alien bug things that controlled people seemed a rip off of those things on that series "Millenium" with Lance Henrikson that used to be on years ago. I know its hard to do alien invasion stories without being much like all the others, but this one is painfully obvious that Spielberg is involved and doesnt break any new ground. I'll watch a few more episodes to see if it draws me in, but not expecting much. Special effects are nice though!

I had a similar reaction to you but i hung on in there and it gets much better. It was the score that was giving it that sickly feel.

shootemindehead
17-Jul-2011, 12:44 PM
Yeh, I'm with Pub, Mitch and Trick here. This show isn't really doing it for me. It waaaay too full of peptalk and manhugs.

Far too many rubbish "characters" involved too and a really redundant "hero" in Noah Willey. Some terrible soapy teenagers and really annoying kids here too. There score is feckin awful too, as Kidgloves said. When it isn't hokey glory-filled "war" music, it's tinkle tinkle sad-assed piano, with "characters" looking off into the distance in terribly staged melancholy.

Bottom line, the people just aren't real, but are yet again comprised of typical American TV types, surrounded by weak "drama". I've actually found myself, saying "for fuck sake" and FF'ing through some of the soap opera moments. That's a really bad sign.

So far, it's 'Days of our lives' with a few aliens.

Mike70
18-Jul-2011, 01:25 AM
Yeh, I'm with Pub, Mitch and Trick here. This show isn't really doing it for me. It waaaay too full of peptalk and manhugs.

word on that. that seems to be the problem with every post apoc series that's been attempted recently: jericho, the boring dead, and now this show. they are all full of ultra cheesy "tear jerky" moments, purple dialouge and unreal, idiotic characters.

Danny
18-Jul-2011, 03:16 AM
word on that. that seems to be the problem with every post apoc series that's been attempted recently: jericho, the boring dead, and now this show. they are all full of ultra cheesy "tear jerky" moments, purple dialouge and unreal, idiotic characters.

its recession friendly to have people fake cry in an abandoned building. every minute they are doing that is a minute without special effects or set design.

Tricky
18-Jul-2011, 08:04 AM
I watched "Battle Los Angeles" last night and while not perfect, it did this idea far better & without all the man hugs and tinkly piano, and some awesome big budget battle scenes! :cool:

JDFP
18-Jul-2011, 03:24 PM
To each their own, I believe, as some people are more interested in the action element as opposed to some the drama. I prefer this show because for one it really reminds me of a smarter version of "War of the Worlds" from the 80's (the opening sequence is almost identical too, I keep waiting on the aliens fingers to wrap around the globe like the "War of the Worlds" opening sequence) and because I dig the drama and I'm a huge Will Patton fan.

I could care less about action, if that's someones sort of thing I would recommend to check out any film by Michael Bay as there's plenty of action and "blowing of shit up" there. I'm more interested in characters/devlopment (even if the show is somewhat flawed, no more so than "The Walking Dead" which I equally enjoy and is also about drama too), as such I prefer a good independent flick any day of the week over some Hollywood blockbuster. As such, I'm absolutely digging this show.

When it comes to "The Walking Dead" I really appreciate the fact they focus on the drama so much as well -- I've said before and will say again I wouldn't mind seeing full episodes without a single zombie appearing. It's about the characters for me. Just my thoughts.

j.p.

Danny
18-Jul-2011, 03:51 PM
When it comes to "The Walking Dead" I really appreciate the fact they focus on the drama so much as well -- I've said before and will say again I wouldn't mind seeing full episodes without a single zombie appearing. It's about the characters for me. Just my thoughts.

j.p.

You should read the comics then, they are much better than the show.

JDFP
18-Jul-2011, 04:21 PM

I've never been able to get into comics really, but I enjoy the show for what it is. It's the best zombie television series I've ever seen by far! :p:sneaky:

j.p.

Mike70
18-Jul-2011, 06:12 PM

seconded. the comics are everything the show is not.

kidgloves
24-Jul-2011, 12:57 PM
I've given up on his after 6.2 episodes.
GARBAGE

Danny
24-Jul-2011, 01:12 PM
GARBAGE
i think in episode 7 or 8 another species of aliens shows up, you never know dude, could be the clihce 'everything changes' bit that makes it work for you.

JDFP
24-Jul-2011, 03:07 PM
GARBAGE

I'm enjoying it more with each episode honestly for the same reason some people don't like it. It's not given into a bunch of "blow shit up!" cliches but rather focuses on the drama of the situation. This show is basically a drama with some sci-fi elements to it, which I dig, as opposed to an action film with sci-fi elements (face it, we have enough of those to go around anyway!).

j.p.

shootemindehead
25-Jul-2011, 11:51 AM
I don't think the problem is a division between drama and "blowing shit up". It's a problem with the drama itself. It's terribly written, horribly clichéd and unconvincing.

Another issue I have with the show is the complete lack of danger. This human band seem to be camping largely out in the open, wandering around with great freedom and the aliens, who have complete dominance (including air superiority) can't see them?

eh?

kidgloves
25-Jul-2011, 02:46 PM
I don't think the problem is a division between drama and "blowing shit up". It's a problem with the drama itself. It's terribly written, horribly clichéd and unconvincing.

Another issue I have with the show is the complete lack of danger. This human band seem to be camping largely out in the open, wandering around with great freedom and the aliens, who have complete dominance (including air superiority) can't see them?

eh?

Pretty much agree with all this. Throw in the terrible score that seems to be throughout all the episodes as well.

Danny
02-Aug-2011, 01:58 AM
just watched episode 8, talk about a step up in terms of quality and plot development. kind of got a fallout 3 vibe from the whole episode.

Shame its just starting to get really good and then we gotta wait for season 2.

but the twist about the you know what? called it on episode 1.

Neil
02-Aug-2011, 10:13 AM
So this series is improving?

If we cast our eyes back to Babylon 5... It wasn't until the 3rd series it really found its feet IMHO!

Danny
02-Aug-2011, 10:30 AM
took about 10 episodes for stargate unvierse, and that became brilliant by the end.

didnt stop it getting shitcanned in favour of yet another series about a 30 year old actress playing a teen who falls in love with a vampire or something...

kidgloves
02-Aug-2011, 09:39 PM
Ok. I've given this a 2nd chance and just watched episodes 6-8.

Sorry im not feeling it at all. It's still melodramatic garbage. If you took any scene out of this and transplanted it into The Walking Dead claiming it was good you would , quite rightly, be laughed out of this forum.
Absolute rubbish.
Sorry.

Danny
02-Aug-2011, 10:31 PM
Ok. I've given this a 2nd chance and just watched episodes 6-8.

Sorry im not feeling it at all. It's still melodramatic garbage. If you took any scene out of this and transplanted it into The Walking Dead claiming it was good you would , quite rightly, be laughed out of this forum.
Absolute rubbish.
Sorry.

.....but the walking dead isn't good.

kidgloves
02-Aug-2011, 11:02 PM
.....but the walking dead isn't good.
Really? Cause I could have sworn there was whole sub forum dedicated to it whereas this.... Well. Trash Danny. Absolute trash.

Danny
02-Aug-2011, 11:53 PM
Really? Cause I could have sworn there was whole sub forum dedicated to it whereas this....

theres sub forums on websites for peoples my little pony fursonas, that equates to quality over taste how? not saying you are wrong about falling skies but its exactly how i feel about the walking dead- only falling skies is an original series, the walking dead is an adaptation of vastly superior source material, and that made it far more disappointing for me.

that and any scifi on tv is rare nowadays so i take what i can get.

Still think walking dead is a dull brown and tears show.

kidgloves
03-Aug-2011, 09:07 AM
Terra Nova starts this week so hopefully that will be more my thing in scifi terms

shootemindehead
03-Aug-2011, 10:28 AM
just watched episode 8, talk about a step up in terms of quality and plot development. kind of got a fallout 3 vibe from the whole episode.

Shame its just starting to get really good and then we gotta wait for season 2.

but the twist about the you know what? called it on episode 1.

At least the lead character only hugged his kids once this episode and there were no flag waving speeches. Horray! Problem I had with this episode though was the "all of a sudden" focus on Weaver. Here's a guy with little or no background being thrust into the limelight in such a hackneyed and cliched way. It was pretty dreadful.

I'll watch this til the end of the series, I spose, but I can't say that I'll be tuning in for the next round.

As for the "twist", it does seem a little obvious now, alright and a little disappointing too.

In the end, I'm just sorta bored by 'Falling Skies' and for an "end of the world" type show, that's a bad sign. I'm really only watching because there's nothing else on.

Mitchified
03-Aug-2011, 12:21 PM
Terra Nova starts this week so hopefully that will be more my thing in scifi terms

I thought Terra Nova started September 26?

Also, is it weird that when I first saw the new alien type I immediately thought that the skitters were working for the cloners from Attack of the Clones?

JDFP
03-Aug-2011, 01:30 PM
Eh, I don't agree with Hellsing that "Walking Dead" isn't good, I think it's highly enjoyable as a series. I'd probably put "Falling Skies" in the same category of entertainment (for me at least) as "Walking Dead" as being equally entertaining. I wouldn't consider it any better or worse really. I can see both sides of the discussion though for those who enjoy it (like me) and those who don't.

j.p.

kidgloves
03-Aug-2011, 03:22 PM
I thought Terra Nova started September 26?

Also, is it weird that when I first saw the new alien type I immediately thought that the skitters were working for the cloners from Attack of the Clones?

Looks like it is September then. I could have sworn i saw a banner advert on a website saying 8/7. Oh well

Danny
04-Aug-2011, 05:50 AM
Eh, I don't agree with Hellsing that "Walking Dead" isn't good, I think it's highly enjoyable as a series. I'd probably put "Falling Skies" in the same category of entertainment (for me at least) as "Walking Dead" as being equally entertaining. I wouldn't consider it any better or worse really. I can see both sides of the discussion though for those who enjoy it (like me) and those who don't.

j.p.

like i said, if you read the comics youd get it, its like the old 70s adaption of the lord of the rings, which follows the actual plot for a bit then due to budget constraints goes on increasingly shitty tangents that are vastly inferior to the source material. If the shows the only version of the walking dead you know ive no doubt its the dogs bollocks. If it aint its a vastly inferior imitation. Falling skies isnt amazing but its an original work so im way more lenient on it when there isnt a much better version of it already out there.

Tricky
04-Aug-2011, 08:26 AM
Its still not pulling me in at all this series, theres still far too much tinkly piano music, too much sickly sweet emotional stuff and hero speeches which has become a staple for Spielbergs work in the last decade or more, too many characters that I couldnt care less about and as for being original, it just borrows from every other alien invasion story that has gone before it but not really in a good way. The CGI on those mechs is cack as well.

kidgloves
12-Aug-2011, 09:33 PM
So how was the season finale guys?

Rottedfreak
13-Aug-2011, 08:06 AM
I only saw Mutiny on Monday and was appalled
The doctor and professor discover the skitters are harnessed and it's revealed to the viewer the children they harness become them but get this the doctor and professor suspect this and go "Lets keep this to ourselves.".
They know the aliens are building structures, they don't know their function but they plan to blow them up.
They find humanoid aliens they know nothing about controlling the skitters.
They lose contact with other resistance groups they were going to work with to blow up alien structures, they met a woman who turned out to be working with the aliens because they used her children as leverage indicating the aliens have collaborators and there could be a few among their own unit.
They know the aliens use harnessed children, the very people they intend to save, to build these structures and yet at the end of this episode taking none of it into consideration they ride in to blow them up.

Mercifully the finale shown these idiots got their just deserts, they kill a Mech scout and rout a Mech army from destroying their base via radio but their group sent to take out the structures are countered and destroyed.
Then the humanoid aliens meet the professor and commander and say they intend to negotiate.