PDA

View Full Version : If you haven't seen CARS (2006) I suggest you do!

DjfunkmasterG
24-Jun-2006, 03:39 AM
I just returned from seeing the new Pixar film Cars. Now I admit it isn't Pixar's best, but it is still very entertaining none the less. It is filled with great humor, colorful characters (Filmore - a 60's VW bus voiced by George Carlin, Mater - 50's tow truck voiced by Larry the Cable Guy, and many more), and most of all a great story.

Every Pixar film has a moral behind it, and Cars is no different. Also, like every Pixar flick the character always comes around to realize this moral. In this case it is selfishness. Even though it explores a moral high ground, the film is just filled with not only the best animation I have ever seen (Dreamworks top this!) but some of the funniest dialog I have ever heard.

Without giving too much away, make sure you stay for the credit gag reel and stick around after the credits for 50 more seconds of comedic fun.

Cars is rated G and is very suitable for all ages. Rated 8 out of 10! :D

MinionZombie
24-Jun-2006, 09:31 AM
I'll put it near/at the top of my "downloaded flicks to watch" list. I got a VCD CAM of it (for a CAM it's actually quite good), so I'll give that a watch when I get the chance (currently re-watching Clerks for the umpteenth time), I look forward to Pixar's new flicks, they're guaranteed to rock my balls with laughter and I'll take your good recommendation and run with it ... when I check it out I'll let y'allz know what I made of it.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Jun-2006, 11:52 AM
This is not a film that should be watched in Downloaded form. This film needs to be enjoyed in a cinema. Plain and simple.

zombie04
24-Jun-2006, 08:03 PM
I really want to see this movie. How does it compare to the other Pixar films?

Cody
24-Jun-2006, 08:11 PM
true. very true.

MinionZombie
24-Jun-2006, 09:08 PM
Ah well, I'm a cheapskate and can't be arsed to pay a fiver for every flick in the cinema, ha! Besides, I'm not going to be billy no mates in the cinema, lol, cinema trips are few and far between...

DjfunkmasterG
25-Jun-2006, 05:14 PM
I really want to see this movie. How does it compare to the other Pixar films?

It's no Incredibles or Toy Story, but it is as worthy as Monster's Inc, or Nemo. Very entertaining with subtle amounts of adult humor, and still great for the kids!

On another note I went to see Silent Hill last night and I am going to be honest in saying it was so-so, but the visuals were amazing, and the cinematography was outstanding.

MinionZombie
25-Jun-2006, 09:18 PM
I watched that download of Cars today - yeah yeah, but no film is better on a small screen than in the cinema ... well, 99% of them anyway.

But yeah, it was a really good flick, Pixar rocks another flick. I didn't think it was anywhere near as funny as some of their previous efforts, but it was a beautiful looking film (it was a surprisingly good CAM, really, damn good for a CAM - only two heads at the bottom of the screen ... and an annoucement (WTF?!?!) by the staff for some useless parents to come get their kid).

Anyway, the story was good - it was all about how arrogance and showmanship and selfishness are not good qualities, something we definately need to keep teaching our new generations as they come along. It was actually quite touching at the end, choked me up a little, because it was a sweet ending (from the end of the final race onwards).

I was a bit sceptical as to how they'd pull off putting emotion into a bunch of inanimate machines, but they've done it well. Again, not as funny or balls out hilarious as previous Pixar outings (e.g. Monsters Inc.) and not as much adult humour as I'd have liked, but again, a good and touching story with fantastic visuals means it was by no means a flop.

I'm looking forward to checking out "Over The Hedge" to see how Dreamworks' latest compares, they'll ever beat Pixar, but they've apparently made a good and worthy film with OTH...

Shame the one I downloaded cut out without the credits, but it's hardly surprising, everyone runs out as soon as possible and the cleaners come in. I feel like such a retard whenever I stay for anything longer than 30 seconds after the film has finished. Sometimes I've hung around for the whole credits, even though nothing came afterwards or during, but just because we had a good time and wanted to talk a bit and let the crowds pass, (e.g. Land of the Dead with my mate Gareth - the bloke who was in "my NIGHTMARE" or The Hills Have Eyes 2006 with my friend Emma - the girl who was in "my NIGHTMARE" and "Trapped").

DjfunkmasterG
26-Jun-2006, 11:12 AM
The credits have some of the greatest moments in the film. I was kinda bummed they cut them off the downloaded version. I caught cars in theaters, paid my $10 and now have a copy to watch at my leisure. I would say Cars ranks in the top 5 of Pixar films.

1. The Incredibles
2. Finding Nemo
3. Toy Story 2
4. Monsters Inc.
5. Cars
6. Toy Story
7. A Bug's Life

It's probably tied with Monster's Inc. in my honest opinion, but seeing that MI had John Goodman, and Bill Crystal already gives it an automatic bump over Cars.

All in all, I think it is a great effort and the animation is the best I have ever seen. Some of the background look so real it was hard to tell if it was a real life backdrop or all CGI. Pixar leads the way in CG animation. Dreamworks will never top PIXAR... they are the kings.

Kaos
26-Jun-2006, 11:40 AM
It's no Incredibles or Toy Story, but it is as worthy as Monster's Inc, or Nemo. Very entertaining with subtle amounts of adult humor, and still great for the kids!

On another note I went to see Silent Hill last night and I am going to be honest in saying it was so-so, but the visuals were amazing, and the cinematography was outstanding.
I saw Cars yesterday. I thought it was one of the top five Pixar flicks also. My wife and daughter also loved it.

As far as Silent Hill, I agree it looked fantastic. The story was OK too, but if you played the game(s) you definitely knew what you were in for. To be truthful, I am from WV and I never knew WV churches to be any different than portrayed in Silent Hill.;)

DjfunkmasterG
26-Jun-2006, 12:36 PM
I saw Cars yesterday. I thought it was one of the top five Pixar flicks also. My wife and daughter also loved it.

As far as Silent Hill, I agree it looked fantastic. The story was OK too, but if you played the game(s) you definitely knew what you were in for. To be truthful, I am from WV and I never knew WV churches to be any different than portrayed in Silent Hill.;)

I will be honest I lost interest in the film after an hour in, got up to have a smoke came back 20 minutes later and was still bored, but it did pick up towards the end.

LouCipherr
26-Jun-2006, 02:30 PM
This is not a film that should be watched in Downloaded form. This film needs to be enjoyed in a cinema. Plain and simple.

I think that depends on the quality of the copy you have, don't you agree?
<ahem>

LC

bassman
26-Jun-2006, 02:33 PM
<ahem>

LC

regardless of the quality, I would say at least pay to see it once before you steal it. You could give them that much, at least....

because remember...
(loud & obnoxious music)
"YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR......"

DjfunkmasterG
26-Jun-2006, 04:30 PM
<ahem>

LC

Not with a PIXAR film. When it comes to PIXAR you should give them your theater money and your DVD money. Because they are tons better than Dreamworks and churn out better flicks than Shrek. :D

Otherwise if it is a film you have zero interest in, like Brokeback mountain, by all means download it and watch it if you so desire.

LouCipherr
26-Jun-2006, 07:25 PM
Dj, you need to be quiet. :D Your work probably paid you to go see Cars, so i don't even wanna hear it from you. :lol: Not only that, who requested a copy of that movie from me so they could watch it 10 times at home?

As far as I'm concerned, Hollywood has delivered me less than 5 watchable worth-my-hard-earned-money movies in the past 3 years. Before you freak: this in my opinion. You may think there were lots of great movies in the past three years, but I don't.

Why in the world, with a track record like that, would I go pay my $9 first just to find out the movie sucked? Just because it's Pixar, doesn't mean it's good by default. I preview almost everything before i'll see it in the theatre nowadays, because Hollywood has a proven track record recently - they make HORRIBLE movies. If I watch a screener and like it, I have zero problem paying my admission fee at the theatre and I always do it. I support the people who make movies I consider good, IMO.

Prime example: Shaun of the Dead. I saw that movie well over 50 times prior to it being released in the US (just ask Dj, he knows.. he was concerned over my obsession with this movie). What happened when it was released? I was there opening night, ready to pay for a movie that was WELL worth my cash. I pre-ordered the DVD before it was even available. If a movie is worth it, I have no problem with supporting it and payng to see it in the theatre.

"You wouldn't steal a car.." Interesting, bassman - that's at the beginning of my screener. Now how did you know that? If you say "lucky guess" I don't think i'll believe you. :p :D

This would be like having your own mechanic. Out of the last 20 problems you brought to him over the past 3 years, he only fixed 3 of the problems, even though you paid for service for all 20 visits to his shop. Would you take your car back to him again to have something else fixed yet again?

You pay your money up front, I will screen movies prior to giving them my $$. This is the main reason hollywood keeps pumping out sh*t movies, because sheeple keep paying to see them, even the god awful ones.

..and most of this is a moot point anyway, 'cause I liked the movie and will probably go take my son to see it this weekend. :p

DjfunkmasterG
26-Jun-2006, 07:44 PM
Dj, you need to be quiet. :D Your work probably paid you to go see Cars, so i don't even wanna hear it from you. :lol: Not only that, who requested a copy of that movie from me so they could watch it 10 times at home?

Yep they did, but I would have paid my $10.00 :p

Oh and thanks for the copy. I have watched it 12 times. :D

LouCipherr
26-Jun-2006, 07:46 PM
:lol: :p

DjfunkmasterG
28-Jun-2006, 12:52 PM
:lol: :p

I admit I am leech to the extreme, but I will plop down the cash for something if I like it enough. Even if the company didn't take all of us to see cars, I would have gone myself. It was THE newest pixar film released and i am a pixar whore.! :D

LouCipherr
28-Jun-2006, 02:57 PM
Oh, I know - you love your Pixar movies.. :) Me too, which is why I will probably be bringing my son to go see it this weekend. It was a damn good movie.

I'm a leech to the extreme too - one look at my monthly bandwidth useage through Giganews will show anyone that. :lol:

"I'm tellin' ya man, every third blink is longer.." :lol:

HLS
28-Jun-2006, 03:11 PM
Oh, I know - you love your Pixar movies.. :) Me too, which is why I will probably be bringing my son to go see it this weekend. It was a damn good movie.

I'm a leech to the extreme too - one look at my monthly bandwidth useage through Giganews will show anyone that. :lol:

"I'm tellin' ya man, every third blink is longer.." :lol:
Pixar always puts out a good flick. I think i will wait for the dvd to come out. i can not bring myself to see a movie about cars. I believe they also made Monster Inc. and Finding nemo? They were fantastic flicks.

OddDNA
29-Jun-2006, 06:28 AM
I would go 2 out of 5 stars.

I didnt like it much...

I did like the incredibles and monsters inc but that is it from pixar.
Both of those I liked very much.

This was not a good movie in my opinion, but the scenes during the credits were funny.

Personally for kids movies I like Madagascar and Ice Age 2 more as far as new stuff goes.

(I didnt see finding Nemo BTW)

DjfunkmasterG
29-Jun-2006, 10:46 AM
I would go 2 out of 5 stars.

I didnt like it much...

I did like the incredibles and monsters inc but that is it from pixar.
Both of those I liked very much.

This was not a good movie in my opinion, but the scenes during the credits were funny.

Personally for kids movies I like Madagascar and Ice Age 2 more as far as new stuff goes.

(I didnt see finding Nemo BTW)

Ummm, Like The Incredibles, and Monster's Inc, Cars is a Pixar film. And to be honest, most of dreamworks CGI cartoons are horrible. Ice Age 1 & 2 weren't very funny, and Madagascar was unwatchable.

Graebel
29-Jun-2006, 11:26 AM
Wow. I'm not sure how you can even compare Madagascar or Ice Age 1-2 to Pixar.

I laughed so hard in the field scene that I almost fell out of my seat. The guy in front of me snorted soda out of his nose onto his wife and daughter. The entire theater giggled for five minutes. And then again later in the town....I was beside myself.

Of course all that missed my son. He just liked Lightning and Doc.

Definitely worth our $25. :)

DjfunkmasterG
29-Jun-2006, 11:53 AM
Wow. I'm not sure how you can even compare Madagascar or Ice Age 1-2 to Pixar.

I laughed so hard in the field scene that I almost fell out of my seat. The guy in front of me snorted soda out of his nose onto his wife and daughter. The entire theater giggled for five minutes. And then again later in the town....I was beside myself.

Of course all that missed my son. He just liked Lightning and Doc.

Definitely worth our $25. :)

I don't know how he did it either. Dreamworks will always ride the coat tails of Pixar. DWA throws junk out every five minutes, at least when PIXAR releases a film they release a quality product, not something just to make a quick buck.

I have to say the whole field scene was riot as well. My fave characters from the film are Luigi, Mater, and Filmore. :D

MinionZombie
29-Jun-2006, 04:36 PM
I loved the bit when Mater was going on about 'they're sad cos you went off to live your dreams', cos they all think he's left, but he's sat there beside Mater and it takes that rusty old truck ages to figure it out ... that was the big laugh for me.

DjfunkmasterG
29-Jun-2006, 05:10 PM
That is another great moment in the film... My other fave is

When Filmore the army jeep are sitting at flo's watching the blinking light and Filmore comments on how every third blink is slower.

BTW, cars is doing ok at the box office. I believe it is up to $165,000,000 in US box office alone. I think with the Euro $$$ it will be another successful outing for Pixar.

On a weirder note...

I was looking at the number of replies vs. the number of views for a topic. Everytime I see a high view/count and reply count I think of it like box office gross for a film. Cars the thread is doing pretty well. :D

I know corny, but it gives me a reason to check in on the boards everyday.

OddDNA
29-Jun-2006, 06:18 PM
Pixar or Dreamworks movies are very funny. I dont think I ever laughed out loud ever. I do grin once in awhile. (the every 3rd blink is slower made me smile). So maybe I just look at the movie differently. My son thought there were some funny parts.

I just dont think they are funny, my humor is more along the lines of...Famiy Guy, ATHF, Mr Show, Chappelle show...so maybe I just dont like that kind of innocent humor.

BTW i hope you guys know I am not downing you for liking this movie or Pixar in general...they top the box office consistently so they must be doing something the public likes.

DjfunkmasterG
29-Jun-2006, 07:51 PM
Pixar or Dreamworks movies are very funny. I dont think I ever laughed out loud ever. I do grin once in awhile. (the every 3rd blink is slower made me smile). So maybe I just look at the movie differently. My son thought there were some funny parts.

I just dont think they are funny, my humor is more along the lines of...Famiy Guy, ATHF, Mr Show, Chappelle show...so maybe I just dont like that kind of innocent humor.

BTW i hope you guys know I am not downing you for liking this movie or Pixar in general...they top the box office consistently so they must be doing something the public likes.

Oh I know you're not downing us... I just thought it was werid you liked Ice Age over any Pixar films. EVerything comes down to taste.

OddDNA
29-Jun-2006, 08:51 PM
I said I liked Ice Age and I like Monsters Inc and The incredibles both those pixar movies I think are great and better than Ice Age or Madagascar...as far as kids movies go they are great...up there with The Princess Bride (if such a good movie can be considered a kids movie) and some old Disney stuff....I always like Disneys cartoon Robin Hood.

MinionZombie
29-Jun-2006, 09:12 PM
Some of the humour in the Pixar films can be quite adult though, I don't mean dirty, but there's usually a lot of stuff in there that only adults will understand. Mind you, was it just me, or did Toy Story have a few eyebrow raising gags thrown in, some revolving around Mr Potato Head...

Rock on Pixar!

Graebel
29-Jun-2006, 11:45 PM
I dont think I ever laughed out loud ever. I do grin once in awhile. (the every 3rd blink is slower made me smile). So maybe I just look at the movie differently.

Ummm, totally personal question. Haven't you ever smoked pot?

Not that I am espousing the use of narcotics in any manner whatsoever. But I've had those kind of nights. And days. And....well you get my point.:D

Maybe the jokes were kind of insider style. Hence, the field scene killed me since I grew in Minnesota (a very long time ago) and we went 'tipping' after too much banana schnapps. It didn't work, I was 12, and I can't eat bananas anymore.:barf:

Oops. Off my ramble now.

Adrenochrome
30-Jun-2006, 11:36 PM
I think i will wait for the dvd to come out. i can not bring myself to see a movie about cars.

wha wha what!!!???
So, which is it?...............oh my

bassman
10-Nov-2006, 01:41 PM
So I bought "Cars" for my little nephew the other day and sat down to watch it with him........it's just a good as Toy Story, I'd say.

It had me cracking up the whole time. And the really wierd thing is that I hate that Larry the Cable Guy f*cker....but Mater was friggin hilarious.

The little nod to the earlier pixar films during the credits was great. "Does this guy do voices in all of their movies?!?":lol:

Definitely an A+.