PDA

View Full Version : Capcom to Kill Used Game Sales With One-Save Game

darth los
27-Jun-2011, 11:47 PM
First off, let me preface this by saying ( shit, I almost said hells! LMAO! ) Danny first spoke about this in the shoutbox but i thought it would be more appropriate to expand upon it in a thread, So kudos to him for finding it.

Second off, WTF man!?! As we would say in the projects, " Is these niggas serious !?!" :rolleyes:

I mean is anyone at capcom even really a gamer? They have made some dubious calls with the directions in which they're taking some of their flagship franchises in the past few years, most notably RE. However, this one takes the cake. I can see the boardroom meeting where this clusterfuck/brain fart of a decision was hatched now:

"Ok gentlemen, we have come down to two finalists for ideas to in the war on gamers. 1) We implement a one game save 2) upon completion of the game the disc will spontaneously combust." ( not mine) :duh:

" Now let's see a show of hands!"

Fucking rediculous. And I've stuck by these guys as they have turned my beloved RE franchise into a farce, but this is crossing the line.

A couple of examples where this would suck balls. Ahem:

1) My first time through the original RE i was trigger happy with the magnum rounds and were using them to kill hunters and chimeras. Why? Because I had no more grenade launcher ammo because once i got them i was using them on zombies. The result? I was left to fight tyrant with like 3 magnum rounds. But not to worry I just went back to the save before i got the magnum and made sure to save enough of them for the big fight. Thnx to this new system that will now not be an option. Good luck killing Tyrant with your baretta rounds buddy.

2) My first run through dead rising 2. I was sightseeing before i had to get to a very critical part of the story where i believe it was my first confrontation with TK. ( the part where you chase him through the tunnels on the bike.) However, due to my careless time management there was no way to beat that scenario in time. No worries, I Just went back to the previous save and didn't jerk off this time. Also, no longer an option. ( Beating the scenario, not jerking off people. That will always be an option.)

Also, with games like RE and DR who the hell does or sees everything in one playthrough? What about bonuses like infinite launchers if you beat the game in under 3 hours and the like? Say goodbye to that as well.

In short, these guys are tools.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/86994/capcom-to-kill-used-game-sales-with-one-save-game/

:cool:

Danny
28-Jun-2011, 12:43 AM
to be honest, its not the one save per game bullshit to make us buy only new games that bugs me.

What bugs me is what happens say..5 years after resident evil 6 comes out and new copies are no longer produced how do people play it if they havent before? and how about digital direct to drive downloads like games on demand?

EvilNed
28-Jun-2011, 10:13 AM
I don't get it. How is this supposed to kill the used game markets? How is this supposed to get people to not buy used games?

Tricky
28-Jun-2011, 10:39 AM
Gamings become way too much about big corporations making profit at the expense of the community, the soul of the games & the gamers themselves. Selling on used games never used to be a problem, the companies made their profits with the original sale of the game so when did that change or is it just greed? Personally I keep all the games I buy, and as such have quite an extensive back catalogue over various systems that I occasionally go back & play, but I also like to pick up second hand bargain games that I missed the first time around, wheres the harm in that? Its bad enough that they leave content out on the discs now so you have to register & download extra files from the net before you can play!

bassman
28-Jun-2011, 12:09 PM
Capcom released Dead Rising, right? Yeah....their save systems have been f*cked for quite some time now. :p

EvilNed
28-Jun-2011, 12:20 PM
So they make their game shittier so nobody will buy them? Is that their logic? I just don't get this idea. One save game slot? How does that harm a used game and not a brand new game?

darth los
28-Jun-2011, 02:22 PM
Read the user comments after this article. They seem to explain it way better than the article itself.

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/06/capcom-tries-to.php

Trin
28-Jun-2011, 02:27 PM
I can only imagine the fights they are going to cause between angry parents and the game retail stores.

As a gamer and a parent of gamers I can say that I'd be royally po'd if my kid brought me a game that I just bought him saying he couldn't start over and he'd gotten himself stuck. It's bad enough if the answer is that they have to start over... imagine if the game is absolutely value-less? I'd be ready to go ballistic.

And if the only place that information is divulged is in the manual? I feel that selling a game without divulging that on the outside of the box would be misleading to the consumer. I'd be writing the better business bureau and consumer reports, as well as petitioning the game retailers to warn consumers of the deficits in the products, if not take them off the shelves entirely.

And let's talk about the "getting stuck" problem. How will that affect game design? Will they still pack challenging levels and resource constraints into games? What happens when half the players get stuck a quarter of the way through and the angry letters start to pile up. Do they advise players to just go buy a new copy and try to do better next time? Or are they forced to wuss-ify their games to the point that 90% of the consumers can beat the game on the first playthrough.

Just what are they protecting themselves from anyway? The after-market on games is total junk. You might get 10% of the purchase price back and then the after-market retailers jack it up to 50% of purchase price for resale. It's just easier to keep the game and hope you want to play it again sometime in the future.

The only ones who win are the other game manufacturers... they have to be rejoicing that Capcom is going to hand them their business on a silver platter.

Exatreides
28-Jun-2011, 03:28 PM
Capcom is dead, long live capcom.

Seriously though, the industry seems to continue to head in this direction. I think they watched what EA has done with their used games. That is forcing people to purchase codes to play the games online if they get them used. Yeah, I gameflyed dead space 2 and was pretty disappointed that i couldn't try it online with out forking over extra cash. I was going to keep my purchase, but I'll be sending it back because of that.

The only viable option a consumer has against a company is the boycotting of a good or service in order to change it. We don't buy the game that they poured thousands and thousands of dollars into because of this, and they will quickly change it.

Oh, and speaking of gamefly, I guess games like this completely remove them from the equation.

shootemindehead
28-Jun-2011, 03:30 PM
Capcom's been dead for some time now. Hopefully this'll put the final nail in the coffin.

Another great idea by the suits in an industry where they don't belong.

Rancid Carcass
28-Jun-2011, 04:31 PM
Another great idea by the suits in an industry where they don't belong.

Yeah, I think these people need to spend some time at the rear end of a Human Centipede...

slickwilly13
28-Jun-2011, 04:45 PM
Simple solution. We do not buy their games. Remember when Capcom use to make high quality games? Let them shoot themselves in the foot and lose a huge fortune.

darth los
28-Jun-2011, 08:44 PM
Simple solution. We do not buy their games. Remember when Capcom use to make high quality games? Let them shoot themselves in the foot and lose a huge fortune.

Agreed. That is really our only recourse as consumers. It's the same with dlc and these fucking COD map packs that come out every 2 months or so At 15 bucks a pop. If someone bought all of that they'd be in about $110 bucks for a game people! A GAME ! As long as idiots with no self control keep shelling out for this shit nothing is going to change. If we just stuck together and bought no dlc for 6 months - a year we would break them.

And while I'm on the subject games are too expensive nowdays anyway. I gamefly everything and if i choose to keep it i get it for 15 bucks of the the original price. Do you have any idea how many times before gamefly I bought a 60 dollar game only for it to be shite? Too many Brothas. Nowdays if it's not GF and it's not a triple A title i wait for the price to come down 20 or 30 dollars then i go for it.

This one save thing is like Ford saying we'll sell you a car, but if you want to sell it one day yourself fine go ahead but but good luck finding a buyer because the lights and brakes won't work. If they tried that they'd get their pants sued off. They'd be making a product that is for all intents and purposes un re-sellable. So how game capcom do it?

Yes i know it's an unorganized post but i'm on the move, cut me some slack.

slickwilly13
30-Jun-2011, 06:31 AM
Capcom finally talks about it.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6321800.html

shootemindehead
30-Jun-2011, 08:01 AM
What utter bollocks.

darth los
30-Jun-2011, 04:32 PM
Capcom finally talks about it.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6321800.html

This user post says it all.

That's a lame excuse from Capcom, unlockable like arcade machines... There is no unlocking characters or levels in arcade machines and keeping them unlocked. Any arcade game that had special missions or characters you could unlock was always dependent upon certain actions you took in game and those actions would have to be repeated everytime you came back to the machine. There is no save file in an arcade machine. This is just them getting caught in a cost saving decision or, as everyone expects, a discouraging move against second market sales.

-- -------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

Update peeps:

And the plot Thickens....

http://www.gamercenteronline.net/2011/06/28/eb-games-australia-refuses-to-sell-resident-evil-mercenaries-3d/

From the same article.

Update – It seems that GameStop won’t be accepting trade-ins of The Mercenaries 3D because of the irremovable saves situation. According to different sources, it seems that the conduction will be a company wide policy. In addition, Gamefly won’t be pushing the title for rent.

SymphonicX
04-Jul-2011, 11:29 AM
this is why I sold my xbox

but in iteration of the idea of this - this is just applying to 3DS games right now - it will NEVER apply to the xbox 360 nor the ps3 - I think we can safely say this - as those machines aren't exactly equipped with DVD burners - and not every xbox is internet connected so....this is probably a thing for the next gen.

Which will basically be like an ipod with good graphics - and "like" and "dislike" will be the only two buttons on the controller.

Apple iCunt it'll be called, no doubt.