PDA

View Full Version : "The Dead" (film)

Neil
05-Jul-2011, 02:32 PM
Review over at AICN rates it well...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50261

Legion2213
05-Jul-2011, 02:51 PM
Decided not to read the review due to spoilers...I'm still looking forward to this one!

Neil
05-Jul-2011, 03:11 PM
Decided not to read the review due to spoilers...I'm still looking forward to this one!

Seems to have been a looooooong time coming!

Sammich
07-Jul-2011, 03:41 AM
Description from imdb:

After a deadly plague rapidly wipes out humanity and transforms the dead into walking dead, a small band of survivors document their fight for survival through the lens of a camera, capturing what could be their last few days alive.

This is another cinema verite (blair witch type filming) movie that everyone and their mother is making nowdays.

First of all this IS a zombie movie, not a 28 Days Later rage virus caused apocalypse. Also set in England it follows a group of soldiers that are forced to leave their overrun base. There really isn't anything new or groundbreaking in this movie and parts of the story appeared to be borrowed from other horror films, like I Spit on Your Grave.

Critics of the fast moving or running zombies will be relieved to hear that there are none to be found in Dead End. Actually, this movie makes up for all of the runners for the last 7 years. You may ask "What are you talking about?". Let me put it this way. Remember in NOTLD 90 when Barbara says "They're so slow!"? Well, the zombies in Dead End shamble so slow, at times it looks like their feet are stuck to the ground. It is quite comical seeing soldiers hysterically shooting at stationary zombies only to be grabbed and eaten after unexplainably running into mobs of undead.

Dead End is an o.k. movie if you have nothing else to watch, but in the end will make you appreciate Diary of the Dead.

Oops. This was supposed to be a topic and not a response.

clanglee
08-Jul-2011, 01:22 AM
Been looking foward to "The Dead" for quite a long time now. It really has a nice Fulchi look to it. I had almost given up hope. . .Nice to see it getting some theater time finally soon.

AcesandEights
08-Jul-2011, 03:42 AM
Been looking foward to "The Dead" for quite a long time now. It really has a nice Fulchi look to it. I had almost given up hope. . .Nice to see it getting some theater time finally soon.

You know I feel the exact same way, Clang :thumbsup:

fulci fan
10-Jul-2011, 05:16 AM
Fulchi, huh? I do agree that the zombies move a bit like the master's.

Rancid Carcass
10-Jul-2011, 02:33 PM
I do agree that the zombies move a bit like the master's.

Wow, it's not everyday that a fan of Mr Fulci admits to it, but yeah, George is great isn't he? :p

krakenslayer
10-Jul-2011, 04:03 PM
It's also not every day a massive fan of Fulci misspells the director's name, especially when said word is correct spelled within the fan's own screen name :p

clanglee
10-Jul-2011, 08:15 PM
It's also not every day a massive fan of Fulci misspells the director's name, especially when said word is correct spelled within the fan's own screen name :p

I think he was mostly pointing out that I had misspelled it. . . . . mostly.

paranoid101
19-Sep-2011, 02:13 AM
Just watched it and its brilliant, stunning scenery, great effects and utterly terrifying zombies.

Had a real zombie flesh eater vibe to it and I must admit I jumped out of my skin a few times.

Been ages since I've seen slow moving zombies used so well.

Giving an 8/10

Sammich
19-Sep-2011, 09:28 AM
I only saw about half of The Dead and was very impressed. The zombies followed the Romero universe with no running and no loud dinosaur growls. During a scene where one of the main characters is frantically trying to fix a truck, the shamblers add a sense of desperation and fear. One zombie slowly approaches and is joined by more and more that close in around him.

The special effects are very well done and it doesn't appear to be using (or at least abusing) CGI.

This is a zombie movie that isn't composed of tired recycled Hollywood plots and the Africa setting is a breath of fresh air. I really want to see the whole thing from the beginning.

Neil
19-Sep-2011, 09:28 AM
It's been talked about for ages, but I've still not had the chance to watch it!

paranoid101
19-Sep-2011, 01:08 PM
The zombies in this film even though they are super slow are a constant threat.

The night scenes are scary as hell *shudder* total got creeped out after this film finished and that hasnt happened with a zombie film for a long time.

AcesandEights
19-Sep-2011, 04:07 PM
Can't wait to see this...just got to figure out how to legally see it.

paranoid101
19-Sep-2011, 04:57 PM
The zombies in this film even though they are super slow are a constant threat.

The night scenes are scary as hell *shudder* total got creeped out after this film finished and that hasnt happened with a zombie film for a long time.

Amazon have it for pre order so hopefully it will be soon, its going straight into my collection

AcesandEights
19-Sep-2011, 05:10 PM
Amazon have it for pre order so hopefully it will be soon, its going straight into my collection

Well, that's a hopeful sign!

Ragnarr
20-Sep-2011, 03:27 AM
Now that's cooking with gas! Looks great & can't wait.

kidgloves
20-Sep-2011, 06:28 AM
Watched this last night and it is excellent. Yes it has its problems but overall its the best zombie movie in years. As I was watching it I couldnt help thinking of WWZ. This would have made a great segment in a band of brothers style adaption of WWZ in a shortened form.

shootemindehead
20-Sep-2011, 10:40 AM
+1 from me.

The atmosphere is excellent and the sense of creepiness is top notch throughout. It's budget betrays it's potential success in certain places, but they did a great job with what they had. It's Sub-Saharan African setting is ripe for all sorts of war and AIDS allegory too and it has an incredibly bleak outlook, both in story and landscape.

The zombies are classic slow chaps (actually a bit TOO slow) and the make up is subtle for the most part, but unfortunately the actors have to wear those silly cataract contacts. But, they're creepy as f*ck and they look like dead people walking around. The effects are quite delightful too, splattery where it needs it.

The acting is generally well handled too. There's no silly heroics and everybody carries themselves like relatively real people.

There are some quite thought provoking scenes in there too.

I have to admit, my attention drifted in some areas, but may have something to do with the two bottles of Pinot Grigio I stuck in my face and the yabbering wife to my left.

paranoid101
20-Sep-2011, 11:51 AM
+1 from me.

The atmosphere is excellent and the sense of creepiness is top notch throughout. It's budget betrays it's potential success in certain places, but they did a great job with what they had. It's Sub-Saharan African setting is ripe for all sorts of war and AIDS allegory too and it has an incredibly bleak outlook, both in story and landscape.

The zombies are classic slow chaps (actually a bit TOO slow) and the make up is subtle for the most part, but unfortunately the actors have to wear those silly cataract contacts. But, they're creepy as f*ck and they look like dead people walking around. The effects are quite delightful too, splattery where it needs it.

The acting is generally well handled too. There's no silly heroics and everybody carries themselves like relatively real people.

There are some quite thought provoking scenes in there too.

I have to admit, my attention drifted in some areas, but may have something to do with the two bottles of Pinot Grigio I stuck in my face and the yabbering wife to my left.

It was wierd even though the zombies were super slow, how they were filmed it made them a constant threat, not once did It feel for me that it was safe to stop anywhere cause they were alway around and coming to get you.

The night scenes where even worse not knowing what was out there and being able to see them.

TBH I thought the zombie moved Just like the ones in zombie flesh eaters, real old school feel.

shootemindehead
20-Sep-2011, 12:10 PM
Yeah, there's no real complaints from me about the slowness of the zombies. That's grand AFAIC and yes they were a serious threat every time they were encountered. There are a few really tense "clock ticking" moments in the film.

Ragnarr
20-Sep-2011, 04:22 PM
Please to forgive what might be viewed as a dumb question, but where exactly do I find this flick? Google shrugged its shoulders as did the pimpley faced clerk at my local video store. Help me Obi wan Kenobi...

kidgloves
20-Sep-2011, 05:31 PM
Please to forgive what might be viewed as a dumb question, but where exactly do I find this flick? Google shrugged its shoulders as did the pimpley faced clerk at my local video store. Help me Obi wan Kenobi...

Cant help you out with the Amazon US version but heres a link to the UK one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Blu-ray-Rob-Freeman/dp/B005DZINEM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1316539601&sr=8-5

Its a British film so no suprise its out here first.

krakenslayer
20-Sep-2011, 10:47 PM
This is out now, is it? I was dying to see it but my interest has cooled since finding out that it's gone straight to DVD. I though the whole reason for the years-long wait was that they were holding out for theatrical. I wanted to experience this movie in a cinema, not on my shitty little monitor at home. Oh well...

Ragnarr
21-Sep-2011, 12:22 AM
Cant help you out with the Amazon US version but heres a link to the UK one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Blu-ray-Rob-Freeman/dp/B005DZINEM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1316539601&sr=8-5

Its a British film so no suprise its out here first.

AGH! Went to Amazon US and searched "The Dead". All that came up was a flick starring Anjelica Huston. My guess is they'll market it here by some other name. You brits get all the kool stuff dammit!

DOTD80
21-Sep-2011, 02:05 AM
This movie has been "saved" in my netflix queue since last summer. Guess I'll see it when I see it.....

Ghost Of War
23-Sep-2011, 07:15 AM
Yeah, there's no real complaints from me about the slowness of the zombies. That's grand AFAIC and yes they were a serious threat every time they were encountered. There are a few really tense "clock ticking" moments in the film.

Agreed. Also, I like the fact that the zombies aren't just in a scene when they're needed, but they're everywhere, all the time, in the background.
Great film, by the way, watched it yesterday. A couple of very touching moments, as well.

MikePizzoff
25-Sep-2011, 12:06 PM
So this movie is essentially with Diarrhea Of The Dead strives to be? Speaking of, exactly how many found-footage zombie films have there been?

shootemindehead
25-Sep-2011, 12:56 PM
No, it's a straight forward film. There's no "blair witch" nonsense going on.

MikePizzoff
25-Sep-2011, 02:11 PM
So Sammich is a liar!?!

http://toogeza.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/angry_girl.jpg

shootemindehead
25-Sep-2011, 03:57 PM
http://www.memestick.com/images/MULTIPIC/isay.jpg

That chap is talking about the wrong film!

Highly inappropriate.

krisvds
30-Sep-2011, 12:17 PM
Wow. Very impressed. One of the very best undead films in recent memory. One that is actually scary and has some very well executed moments of true suspense.When was the last time you saw that in a zombie film? Cinematography is great, at times referencing itallo westerns with it's wide shots of the desert and extreme close-ups of a brooding protagonist. The acting is more than adequate, there's no CGI in sight and the practical gore FX are fantastic as a result. The film uses slow shamblers really well. Way more tension here than in recent action fests featuring kung-fu using freaks. How people can find runners scarier than shamblers is beyond me...Especially if they are used as expertly as the directors do here. The film is love letter to classic 70s/80s genre classics but at the same time feels fresh. The African setting works wonders here. Heart of darkness indeed.
Very bleak, very scary and definitely a modern genre classic in my book. It's a real shame this doesn't get a wide theatrical release. Aren't kids interested in classic adventure-horrorfilms anymore?

krakenslayer
30-Sep-2011, 06:23 PM
Wait, but it hasn't been released yet... where are you...?

Oh...

There's some **taps nose**say no more**wink*wink** going on here, amirite? I wondered what all the peg legs and eye-patches were for... ;)

EDIT: Nevermind - ordered it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-DVD-Anjelica-Huston/dp/B000EWOO4C/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1317406755&sr=1-2 Pretty misleading cover, I must say! But I had not idea Angelica Huston and Dan O'Herlihy were in it. This should be good. Can't believe it got away with a U rating though! :p

krisvds
30-Sep-2011, 06:41 PM

Oh...

There's some **taps nose**say no more**wink*wink** going on here, amirite? I wondered what all the peg legs and eye-patches were for... ;)

I'm a geezer you know?

Oh, and I didn't need to hoist the jolly roger to get my butt over to Victoria station, nor to reach wonderful ICA...
Unbelievable how easy it is to reach London by train these days, I'm there in three hours tops. Used to be harder. ;-)
Anyways; planning on supporting this film if it ever reaches these shores as well, though a broad theatrical release seems out of the question.

Sammich
01-Oct-2011, 07:23 PM
I wrote the review for Dead End while I was watching a Dr. Phil show (I watch it every day to learn things on how to hook up with chicks) where the subject was about how chicks don't dig nice guys and go for the ones that treat them badly. What probably happened is that instead of starting a new thread, I had subconsciouly clicked on "Reply to Thread" which is a rebellious kind of act that women find attractive. I caught my embarassing error later on and was going to move the post, but I am still hoping one of the nice single chicks that read this forum would see it and want to hook up.

krisvds
02-Oct-2011, 07:27 AM
Chicks really dig guys who are being smartasses on the internet. Especially on a forum filled with zombiegeeks. There is hope Sammich!

Mike70
03-Oct-2011, 09:14 PM

Oh...

kraken, you will probably enjoy the hell out of this film. like i said in another thread about the movie, I've seen it twice already and really think it an excellent film. it is totally old school. it is quiet and very intense.

I also give it thumbs up for not wasting time in "character development", which to me takes a lot of the mystery and fun out of a film. i like being able to draw my own conclusions about characters and like a bit of an air of mystery around the main characters in a movie. I think "character development" ought to be saved for TV shows that can go on for season after season, not 90-120 min movies. it is also the main reason i lose interest in most TV shows that I give a chance.

I think it is easily the best zombie film in eons.

ryansson
14-Oct-2011, 08:23 AM
Finally got to see this flick last night and I loved it. A real tension builder, beautifully shot giving the zed's (even slower than GAR's) a stark and terrible contrast to the landscape, they stood out as real freaks of nature.

Only real gripe being, I would have liked the zed's colouring to reflect the fact that they were dead, some of them just looked too healthy, but after watching the 'making of' feature they can be forgiven this as it's a wonder the film actually was finished without somebody dying of malaria or the tech difficulties overcoming the whole project.

Another plus for me was the outbreak cause being left wide open and not just automatically put down to a virus as is prevalent in today's dead films, with a witch doctor in the film it almost gives that 'Zombie 2' voodoo possibility.

Acting was great, no pretty boys or girls thrown in to sell the film and the crappy one liners non-existent lending the movie a more realistic feel.

Am still not sold on the pale contact lenses though, think dead glassy eyes are way more creepy.

dracenstein
24-Oct-2011, 10:07 PM
Just got the blu-ray and watched it. I thought it was great and the African setting impressive. And there really is no getting away from them because they are everywhere. Had forgotten that it was a UK film too, even better!

Listening to the commentary was interesting. Everybody getting sick during the making of it, the lead actor almost dying of malaria, constantly being extorted out of money, the car being sabotaged all the time, it's amazing the film was made at all!

Legion2213
07-Nov-2011, 11:08 PM
This movie rocked! A few little niggles here and there, but overall, it was a great flick. Totally enjoyed this and will add it to my BD collection soon

(Some of the scenery was really nice as well).

Ragnarr
08-Nov-2011, 02:50 AM
Is there any hope of the film being released here in the land of New Joisey anytime soon? Otherwise, I must break my Big Ben piggy bank to see how many grotes I have versus how many grotes the movie will cost. :(

krisvds
12-Dec-2011, 01:58 PM
Here's Howard Ford talking about the film. It will be out on dvd in the states in February.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iD25-L27dFU#!

Neil
12-Dec-2011, 02:52 PM
^^ Seems like a nice guy! Good luck to them!

kidgloves
20-Dec-2011, 05:32 PM
^^ Seems like a nice guy! Good luck to them!

Agreed. This film definately deserves everyones support. Buy it. See it. Whatever you can do.

Legion2213
20-Dec-2011, 07:37 PM
"if people support the dead, we'll do it again"

They can count on my support, I'm getting the BD for Christmas. :)

They went through a fair bit of hard times to make this movie and delivered a real winner IMO. Would love to see them same crew back with a bigger budget and working on a second chapter. Brilliant stuff!

AcesandEights
20-Dec-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm just waiting for a chance to buy it here in the states! :D

I think its release date here is Valentine's Day...maybe I'll throw the wife a few hints :lol:

paranoid101
23-Dec-2011, 08:06 PM
Just ordered the blu ray off Play.com for the bargain price of £6.99

Heres the link....

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/20541511/The-Dead/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=the+dead&urlrefer=search

Mike70
23-Dec-2011, 11:59 PM
Acting was great, no pretty boys or girls thrown in to sell the film and the crappy one liners non-existent lending the movie a more realistic feel.

that is one of the most refreshing things about the whole movie. not having some idiotic sub-plot thrown in that deals with a model turned actress trying to look scared and/or tough.

paranoid101
25-Dec-2011, 06:22 PM
A few more horror blu rays in the play.com sale....

The Beyond £8.99

Dawn Of The Dead blu ray and 2 dvd £8.99

Day Of The Dead £8.99

City Of The Living Dead £8.99

Survival Of The Dead £4.99 not sure if thats a bargain or not lol

Some blu ray bargains to be had, think as in my other post that The Dead for £6.99 is a steal.

Neil
25-Dec-2011, 06:59 PM
A few more horror blu rays in the play.com sale....

The Beyond £8.99

Dawn Of The Dead blu ray and 2 dvd £8.99

Day Of The Dead £8.99

City Of The Living Dead £8.99

Survival Of The Dead £4.99 not sure if thats a bargain or not lol

Some blu ray bargains to be had, think as in my other post that The Dead for £6.99 is a steal.

If only that Dawn bluray was 100% bluray for all versions!

krakenslayer
27-Dec-2011, 08:45 AM
Well, I finally got around to seeing it and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cinematography was amazing and the characters interesting, with just the right amout of mystery to their pasts. The zombies were excellent, filling the back of almost every shot, filling scenes with a sort of subtle tension you don't often see anymore. My only qualms were the repetition of very similar set-pieces a few times, and also the ending really could have benefited from some more resolution. I realise they were going for an open ending, but it felt like it just ended in the middle of the scene. They manufactured some sort of meaning with the "hope" amulet and the kid, but it still felt like the film needed at least another five or ten mins to reach a conclusion.

Still though, I loved it and look forward to any sequels.

Mike70
27-Dec-2011, 02:53 PM
Well, I finally got around to seeing it and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cinematography was amazing and the characters interesting, with just the right amout of mystery to their pasts. The zombies were excellent, filling the back of almost every shot, filling scenes with a sort of subtle tension you don't often see anymore. My only qualms were the repetition of very similar set-pieces a few times, and also the ending really could have benefited from some more resolution. I realise they were going for an open ending, but it felt like it just ended in the middle of the scene. They manufactured some sort of meaning with the "hope" amulet and the kid, but it still felt like the film needed at least another five or ten mins to reach a conclusion.

Still though, I loved it and look forward to any sequels.

i knew you'd dig that movie. the quiet sense of doom, the slow shamblers, the mystery about the entire outbreak, the mystery about the characters and their pasts (something i love by the way - i don't like knowing too much about characters), all adds up to a pretty damn good movie.

krakenslayer
27-Dec-2011, 08:06 PM
i knew you'd dig that movie. the quiet sense of doom, the slow shamblers, the mystery about the entire outbreak, the mystery about the characters and their pasts (something i love by the way - i don't like knowing too much about characters), all adds up to a pretty damn good movie.

Totally! The film is so unique and has so much character.

Its limitations, which I mentioned above, are obviously the results of a very difficult, dangerous and stubbornly dogged shoot in some of the most hostile conditions on earth (politically, socially and in terms of climate), so even these kind of add to its appeal in an odd way.

daz of the dead
05-Jan-2012, 07:55 PM
i got this one for christmas and i have to say, i enjoyed it alot, nice simple story, great mood and atmosphere, and the closest thing to creepy zombies since, well 'zombie'. definatly one of the better zombie movies of recent years.

kidgloves
31-Jan-2012, 07:15 PM
A review of the bluray for our American brothers

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6178/the_dead.html

From the Ford brothers, 'The Dead' is arguably one of the best zombie flicks we've seen in years, or at least one which die-hard fans can really sink their teeth into. Set in West Africa, the story is very simple as two men journey northward in search of family and a way out, but the immense beauty of the landscape is part of the film's enjoyment and play an ironic role in an ugly, violent tale of survival. The Blu-ray edition arrives with strong picture quality and slightly better audio. A couple of new supplements sets this package apart from its U.K. counterpart, but remains a bit of a disappointment. All in all, devoted followers of the zombie genre will be happy with the purchase, and others should give it a rent

AcesandEights
31-Jan-2012, 08:24 PM
A review of the bluray for our American brothers

Yeah, if I recall correctly, it's supposed to be released on Valentine's Day!

So, I'm going to make some advanced reservations, take my wife out for a nice dinner, wine her, dine her and then take her home and tell her there's just one thing I want to do that night...watch my new blu-ray copy of 'The Dead'. :D

Andy
01-Feb-2012, 07:27 AM
Just caught this film last night and im quietly impressed, maybe there is hope for modern movies?

Its a great story, good characters, great zombies..

The first zombie you see walking on its broken leg with the bone actually sticking through, actually made me cringe!! (in a good way)

..Unfortunately once again im late to the topic and really dont think i can add anything that previous posts havnt covered but a thoroughly enjoyable zombie movie, got the same sense of doom and actually quite dark atmosphere that i got from NOTLD.

Especially when murphy finally reaches his base on the radio and asks for reinforcements only to be told that the zombie outbreak is wider spead than he thought and there are no reinforcements!

Highly recommended watch.

Christopher Jon
01-Feb-2012, 10:12 AM
Yep. Very cool film.

Shows that slow ass zombies can still be creepy.

Some tighter editing. Cutting certain scenes and putting more emphasis on others would have made it a great film.

Ragnarr
15-Feb-2012, 11:06 PM
Enjoyed the movie thoroughly and I recommend it highly. I give it an "8" on a scale of 1-10.

Problems I had with the flick are few but hand-to-forehead obvious:

-the shamblers are relatively easy to kill, so how hard is it to get enough folks together with make-shift clubs to beat the bejeezus out of the zombies when they get into your walled african compound? Why run about screaming like sheep as they take people down one by one?

-it's not very hard to make an efficient perimeter using chopped brush and young trees with the trunks pointed inwards and the branches outwards, all layed out in a circle. A trip wire or cord with tins cans tied to it is only good for letting a NON-SLEEPING SENTRY KNOW THAT SOMEONE'S SHAMBLING INTO YOUR SECURE AREA and never if everyone within the perimeter is sleeping and hope not to get munched.

-it's Africa guys. Climb a tree to sleep (yes I remember that dude did after the tin-can foobar)

Neil
16-Feb-2012, 08:44 AM
-it's not very hard to make an efficient perimeter using chopped brush and young trees with the trunks pointed inwards and the branches outwards, all layed out in a circle. A trip wire or cord with tins cans tied to it is only good for letting a NON-SLEEPING SENTRY KNOW THAT SOMEONE'S SHAMBLING INTO YOUR SECURE AREA and never if everyone within the perimeter is sleeping and hope not to get munched.
Yes, that was an example of characters behaving unrealistically. You'd think one would always be on watch. Maybe they should have showed them doing that, but the one awake, slowly drifting off (due to exhaustion)...

shootemindehead
16-Feb-2012, 09:10 AM
Enjoyed the movie thoroughly and I recommend it highly. I give it an "8" on a scale of 1-10.

Problems I had with the flick are few but hand-to-forehead obvious:

-the shamblers are relatively easy to kill, so how hard is it to get enough folks together with make-shift clubs to beat the bejeezus out of the zombies when they get into your walled african compound? Why run about screaming like sheep as they take people down one by one?

-it's Africa guys. Climb a tree to sleep (yes I remember that dude did after the tin-can foobar)

1. Fear. It's the biggest breaker to logical, rational thinking. When the panic starts, it is extremely difficult to organise anything. Remember also, that this film appears to be showing the beginning stages of an outbreak. So, people aren't sure at all what to expect.

2. Don't remember any Doh moments re: perimeters etc. I'll have to watch again.

AcesandEights
16-Feb-2012, 01:35 PM
I tried to pick this up yesterday, since Tuesday was the date of the US release, but looks like I'll have to order it off Amazon.

Mike70
16-Feb-2012, 06:03 PM

i think that is why shamblers are far more scary than runners. because they don't look threatening. they are easy to dismiss because they move slow and at first there aren't too many of them, so no takes them seriously. next thing you know, there's 100 of them where there 2 or 3 a few hours ago and you suddenly have very real problems about how to keep yourself from becoming human tartar.

Ragnarr
16-Feb-2012, 09:02 PM
That first maimed zombie was awesome shambling. I liked the cracking sound and weird twisting of its right leg. Also like the maimed crawlers. The several zombies on the beach had 1 or 2 crawling, something that many zombie flicks never seem to do.

Perhaps the biggest flaw I see yet again is that zombies can bite through clothing as if their teeths (aka. "teefs") are razor sharp. Happened to Roger in the original DotD, a few others and in a couple of scenes with TD (The Dead). Still really liked the morbid hopeless feel of this shambling flick. :)

shootemindehead
17-Feb-2012, 08:36 AM
Yeh. The biting through clothes thing has always been an issue for me as well, but I spose you have to let it go.

All one would have to do is gear up in leather. A bikers outfit would do. No zombie teeth getting through that. It would be useful armor against small numbers.

Of course, if your overwhelmed, you're buggered anyway.

Mr.G
17-Feb-2012, 12:27 PM
I ordered the Blu of the Dead and Blue Underground's Zombie yesterday. Everyone send good vibes that I get them by next weekend....when the wife is away and I can enjoy both in 1080P glory!

Ragnarr
17-Feb-2012, 05:24 PM
Good vibes coming your way from here bro! ***WRRRrrrrRRRRRrrrrrRRRRrrrrr***

AcesandEights
20-Feb-2012, 02:10 PM
Bwahahahah! Picked up a copy this weekend, finally! The Wife is down in SC visiting her parents for the next few days, so I'll watch it soon enough :D

Mr.G
21-Feb-2012, 12:08 AM
I ordered the Blu of the Dead and Blue Underground's Zombie yesterday. Everyone send good vibes that I get them by next weekend....when the wife is away and I can enjoy both in 1080P glory!

Amazon ships fast and the good vibes worked! Just got both today...may have a late night a head of me.

AcesandEights
21-Feb-2012, 01:40 PM
Amazon ships fast and the good vibes worked! Just got both today...may have a late night a head of me.

Watching it, myself, right...now (the last half of it anyway).

-- -------- Post added 21-Feb-2012 at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was 20-Feb-2012 at 09:21 PM ----------

Wow, that was soul grindingly relentless horror. Loved it!

rongravy
23-Feb-2012, 07:11 PM
It just came in the mail from Netflix. About to get superbaked and watch it totally alone and uninterrupted. Noticed it is bare in the special features department.

Mr.G
26-Feb-2012, 12:44 PM
Solid movie. Ending was a little 'eh' but something I could look over. Loved the traditional FX and slow zombies. Wish GAR could make something like this.

Thorn
27-Feb-2012, 05:31 PM
Yes, that was an example of characters behaving unrealistically. You'd think one would always be on watch. Maybe they should have showed them doing that, but the one awake, slowly drifting off (due to exhaustion)...

This was my one complaint about the movie, other than them both sticking their faces int the door way for the shock moment with the boards. Other than that I really loved this film.

"You hear that?" pause for dramatic affect "That's them"

AcesandEights
27-Feb-2012, 07:40 PM
I agree it was a misstep, but it's not a big mood or story killer for me.

I see the film as more like a fever dream and less like a tactical exercise or videogame. I just assume they were so overwhelmingly tired, in shock and falling into some sort of lull from having actually been able to eat and sit for a bit that they succumbed to the shock they'd both been exhibiting symptoms of.

-- -------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

The biting through clothes thing has always been an issue for me as well

I know what you mean and have brought it up in what-if threads before, but it's basically a convention of the genre at this point.

-- -------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Wish GAR could make something like this.

One of the things I loved about the film, and believe me there were a lot of things I loved about it, was how much of the film lent itself to discussion on the topic of social commentary without there being much in the way of overt, in-your-face efforts in that direction. Less is more :)

A good, haunting story in a great setting was all that was needed and I think this film delivered a shed load in that area.

MoonSylver
27-Feb-2012, 10:21 PM
I got to watch this last week & it f'ing rocked. I don't have enough time to read the whole thread, but at a quick glance I saw the "tin can alarm", which was my biggest gripe, but other than that, I loved nearly every minute.

Loved the setting, the zombies & how they were handled. This slow creeping relentless advance that seemed to pop out of nowhere when you lowered your guard for a second & made doing even the simplest tasks nearly impossible.

I very much read the zombies as a metaphor for death itself, & some of the comments on the commentary seemed to confirm. Just great stuff.

Ragnarr
01-Mar-2012, 09:15 PM
I got to watch this last week & it f'ing rocked. I don't have enough time to read the whole thread, but at a quick glance I saw the "tin can alarm", which was my biggest gripe, but other than that, I loved nearly every minute.

Loved the setting, the zombies & how they were handled. This slow creeping relentless advance that seemed to pop out of nowhere when you lowered your guard for a second & made doing even the simplest tasks nearly impossible.

I very much read the zombies as a metaphor for death itself, & some of the comments on the commentary seemed to confirm. Just great stuff.

Roger that Moonslayer! "The Dead" was one of the best zombie flicks in a long long time imo. And yuppers, their tin-can perimeter was nuts especially when considering that the lead characters were both military dudes. Maybe it's all the ancient military historical reading I do, but fortifying your encampment for the night is as easy as pancakes. The next time you go walking through a wooded environment, just try to walk over or through bushes or fallen young trees in a direction against the direction they grow in. One would very quicky come to a grinding halt while shouting something that sounds like, "HELP ME SOMEBODY!! I'M STUCK OVER HERE... LITERALLY!!" lol

Sticker bushes are another obstacle one could use to their advantage as are shallow pits dug into the ground. Again, easy as pancakes at IHOP on a sunday morning. :)

krisvds
02-Mar-2012, 07:57 AM
Not only is The Dead one of the best zombie films ever, I think it's the best in the genre since Romero's Day of the dead. Some on this forum said TWD holds that candle, but I can only presume they havent seen this film yet. It's that good.

It's way better than Romero's last three undead offerings, though I do not despise them as much as a very vocal group posting here.
Still GAR should be taking notes:

- This is how you do subtext and social commentary. It's all there in The Dead for those who see(k) it. It's not shoved in your face like he did in Diary. The voice over in that film treated the audience as imbeciles. I was shouting at the screen: 'I get it George and I agree now shut this woman up!'

- This is how you deliver dread and suspense. The Dead contains a multitude of suspense moments. The opening on the beach with the main character trying to get to the weapons with the undead slowly advancing is like a textbook example of 'how to do suspense.' George should have read when dealing with the scenes on the boat in Survival. So much wasted potential with a setting like that.

- This is how you do Horror: not by means of cheap CGI but by practical effects. The budget is no excuse, The Dead is as low budget as they come.
Those 'gag' kills in Diary and survival were just plain stupid.

I hope enough people support this film so they can do a sequel on a bigger budget. They deserve it. Surprising really the film isn't a bigger succes; Is it a bit too old school? If I were a teenager now i'm pretty sure I'd like it a whole lot better than those awfull Saw/Final destination/ what have you - franchises.

Mike70
02-Mar-2012, 01:24 PM
Not only is The Dead one of the best zombie films ever, I think it's the best in the genre since Romero's Day of the dead. Some on this forum said TWD holds that candle, but I can only presume they havent seen this film yet. It's that good.

i'll second this. "the dead" isn't a family drama masquerading as a zombie show. it is a straight up, old school horror movie that reminds me of the grand old days. i like just about everything about "the dead." it is a quiet, doom filled flick that doesn't rely on cheap ass, weepy family moments or drama to tell its story or make a point.

after giving it another chance, i've decided that TWD is just not my cup of tea and am no longer wasting my time on it. in fairness to TWD, i usually do not enjoy TV shows. there are precious few modern shows that i've ever watched from start to finish without losing interest in them. B5 and star trek: enterprise are probably the only two in my adult life that i've followed from start to finish.

i prefer the old stuff. give me the twilight zone, the outer limits, night gallery, boris karloff's thriller.

AcesandEights
02-Mar-2012, 01:32 PM

Well, first off, let me say that I think The Dead is probably the best zombie film since Day, but that's just personal taste and my desire for serious, dread-filled scenes in my zombie movies.

That said, The Dead and TWD the tv series don't present favorable means for comparison, in my eyes...at least not close comparison and labored fanboy wars over which is better. TWD has to conform to a long-form narrative arc, create consistency, cater to tv execs, cater to a huge audience with massive expectations (to keep it's budget and existence going) and be kept somewhat tv-friendly, so it has a lot keeping it from reaching its full potential; it has to do all that and has still managed to blow the doors off most zombie media put to film--pretty major accomplishment.

krisvds
02-Mar-2012, 02:47 PM
Well, first off, let me say that I think The Dead is probably the best zombie film since Day, but that's just personal taste and my desire for serious, dread-filled scenes in my zombie movies.

That said, The Dead and TWD the tv series don't present favorable means for comparison, in my eyes...at least not close comparison and labored fanboy wars over which is better. TWD has to conform to a long-form narrative arc, create consistency, cater to tv execs, cater to a huge audience with massive expectations (to keep it's budget and existence going) and be kept somewhat tv-friendly, so it has a lot keeping it from reaching its full potential; it has to do all that and has still managed to blow the doors off most zombie media put to film--pretty major accomplishment.

Sure. But, as Mike pointed out; The Dead is way closer to seventies/eighties horror than anything else recently. And it wasn't me who stated 'TWD is the best thing in the genre since day.' Its an opinion shared by many people and i was reacting to that. I do not dislike TWD but to me the best the zombie genre had to offer these past few years is The Dead.
i can heartily recommend it to any TWD fan who wants to experience some old school horror not bound by tv regulations and what have you.

AcesandEights
02-Mar-2012, 03:16 PM
Sure. But, as Mike pointed out; The Dead is way closer to seventies/eighties horror than anything else recently. And it wasn't me who stated 'TWD is the best thing in the genre since day.' Its an opinion shared by many people and i was reacting to that.

I actually felt that way about TWD, and still think it's is pretty damned awesome, but the Dead is scarier, more bleak and that's what I respond to.

I think the biggest strength TWD may have in comparison would probably be the scope of the post-apocalypse, which is a given in a continuing storyline with its budget.

krisvds
02-Mar-2012, 03:25 PM
I actually felt that way about TWD, and still think it's is pretty damned awesome, but the Dead is scarier, more bleak and that's what I respond to.

I think the biggest strength TWD may have in comparison would probably be the scope of the post-apocalypse, which is a given in a continuing storyline with its budget.

True. It's why i like the comic so much and to a lesser extent the tv series. The fact that we keep following these characters through zombie apocalypse for a long time hasn't been done before and is really cool. That and the fact Kirkman isn't afraid to kill off his main characters (though in the tv series they are a bit more coy about this, maybe soon ...)

Mike70
02-Mar-2012, 04:19 PM
but the Dead is scarier, more bleak and that's what I respond to.

i know you can't hear it in NY but that got a full on, encore level clap out of me.

in my opinion, "the dead" is the movie we've been waiting for for eons. sure it has its quirks and isn't perfect (what the hell is in this frakked up 'verse) but is far more representative of what i want to see in a horror movie in the zombie genre than TWD could ever be. that is simply my view on it. it is neither right nor wrong and if you prefer TWD fine. if you prefer "le horde" fine (that's a great flick too by the way). in the end, subjective things like art come down to the taste of viewer. my taste leans far more towards the bleak, quiet desperation of "the dead" than the histrionics on display in things like TWD.

slickwilly13
02-Mar-2012, 04:28 PM
Do you know what sucks? I was the one, who discovered this movie and the first to post about it. But I will probably be the last one on here to view it.

Mike70
02-Mar-2012, 04:34 PM
Do you know what sucks? I was the one, who discovered this movie and the first to post about it. But I will probably be the last one on here to view it.
:lol:

sorry slickster, i couldn't help a chuckle over that. that does suck. but i'll assure you that once you see the movie you'll be even more pissed off that it took you so long to see it.:evil:

it has finally been released over here.

AcesandEights
02-Mar-2012, 04:55 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I only just saw it over the last week. It's finally out for purchase in the US, so hopefully you'll get a chance to see it soon(ish)!

Ragnarr
06-Mar-2012, 12:17 AM
Again, the only things I would tweek concerning "The Dead" would be getting rid of the glowing eyes (what could possibly cause eyes to glow anyway), and two trained military dudes making some in my opinion very "unmiltary" decisions (e.g. the infamous tin-can perimeter idea).

Knighty
06-Mar-2012, 05:47 PM
Saw this two years ago at Frightfest (really should get the DVD and rewatch). Loved the unfamiliar landscape the film was set in and the suspense that was built up throughout. But I do remember feeling the film began to drag by the end and thinking the ending was a little muddled. Nice to see a different setting for a change and remember the crew being really passionate about their film at the Q&A after.
Looks like the directors have written a book called 'Surviving The Dead' about the experience Of making the film (which sounds as horror packed as the film)

Legion2213
06-Mar-2012, 08:06 PM
Again, the only things I would tweek concerning "The Dead" would be getting rid of the glowing eyes (what could possibly cause eyes to glow anyway), and two trained military dudes making some in my opinion very "unmiltary" decisions (e.g. the infamous tin-can perimeter idea).

What else could they do...they were both exhausted and needing rest IMO. Not saying it was ideal, but I don't see what else they could have done if they were both totally knackered.

Mr.G
06-Mar-2012, 08:15 PM
What else could they do...they were both exhausted and needing rest IMO. Not saying it was ideal, but I don't see what else they could have done if they were both totally knackered.

Seeing how they are in Africa maybe they could have found a tree to climb?

Neil
07-Mar-2012, 07:41 AM

Don't you know gravity is stronger in Africa, being hotter and all, therefore making it impossible to climb trees!

krakenslayer
07-Mar-2012, 09:28 AM
Don't you know gravity is stronger in Africa, being hotter and all, therefore making it impossible to climb trees!

Ah, but the earth spins faster around the equator, so a small hop and the planet's centrifugal force will send you flying up into the trees!

Legion2213
07-Mar-2012, 06:41 PM

I have no response to this.

Bloody smart arses! :D

Wrong Number
09-Mar-2012, 12:38 PM
I watched this yesterday and my feeling is it's decent, but kinda more of a "one fight to the next" than real story. A big issue I hate was how there seemed to be so many zombies even out in the bush. Every time they stopped for two seconds it seemed a horde would appear no matter where they were. I had a hard time dealing with that and I'm sure it's why it felt like a bunch of zombie encounters strung together. That said, I thought the acting, direction and effects were all good. Worth watching once, but I don't see much replay value.

WN

AcesandEights
09-Mar-2012, 02:05 PM
I watched this yesterday and my feeling is it's decent, but kinda more of a "one fight to the next" than real story. A big issue I hate was how there seemed to be so many zombies even out in the bush. Every time they stopped for two seconds it seemed a horde would appear no matter where they were. I had a hard time dealing with that and I'm sure it's why it felt like a bunch of zombie encounters strung together. That said, I thought the acting, direction and effects were all good. Worth watching once, but I don't see much replay value.

WN

I think you're right that some of the plot could have been tweaked, perhaps, to make the film more than just one fight to the next, but I actually loved the omnipresent threat of the dead. To be fair, Western Africa in the area of Ghana is actually fairly well populated and spread out in small villages, so the population levels and spread of zeds didn't really bother me much, but it was a little crazy...still, that was a key part of what made the movie for me.

Mr.G
09-Mar-2012, 02:10 PM

WN

I can see how you get that opinion and even though I've never been to the dark continent, my perception is there are a ton of people & medical service is poor which made the constant zombies believable. I really wanted to see an elephant, lion, rhino or hippo take a group of zombies out...but that wouldn't exactly fit with the tone.