PDA

View Full Version : Torchwood - Miracle Day

Neil
14-Jul-2011, 09:08 PM
Well, I was actually quite impressed with the first episode!

wayzim
14-Jul-2011, 10:59 PM
Well, I was actually quite impressed with the first episode!

I was as well ( see my earlier thread - Showtime's Torchwood; Miracle Day )
And we even had a moment in the show ( well a few others, but this one was pretty ROTLD ) that all the zombie freaks could get into.

I don't know what it is about Eve Myles, but Gwen was a bit of all right; even with a baby on her hip and a machine gun in the other hand.
Welsh girls tend to be knockouts or other, but she falls nicely in the middle ground.

Wayne Z

"None of the contestants managed to summarize Proust, so we give the award to the girl with the biggest Tits. "
Monty Python, don't ya know?

Danny
15-Jul-2011, 12:32 AM
bit too much set up and not enough questions asked for my liking but more torchwoods better than no torchwood.

Neil
15-Jul-2011, 09:59 AM
bit too much set up and not enough questions asked for my liking but more torchwoods better than no torchwood.

Plenty of time for that in the next nine episodes :)

MinionZombie
15-Jul-2011, 10:01 AM
Watched it last night and I enjoyed it. It breezed along nicely too - didn't feel like an hour-long show - and it's an interesting idea. Yeah, there's a lot of set-up, but there are numerous characters to introduce (and re-introduce), and many Americans need introducing to it for the very first time etc etc etc.

Anyway, nifty idea, I look forward to seeing how it pans out. I too, as a zed head, got a ROTLD vibe from one scene (perhaps it's just us, but whatever) ... indeed it's almost a zombie story. :p

I also agree that Gwen Cooper's a bit of alright. ;)

Had to laugh at Mekhi Pfifer moaning about the Severn Bridge. :D

It's good that they've decided to make Torchwood the actual 'Doctor Who for adults' - rather than rely on prurient rudeness and silliness (like so-often plagued the first two series, bar a handful of episodes - particularly in series 2 - that took things properly seriously and went for chilling, even fucked-up, ideas) - what with Children of Earth (in 2009), and now this, they're going for a adult level of seriousness in the subject matter - pick an idea that's so goddamned chilling/scary/terrifying (Children of Earth's notion of 'gives us 20% of your children' and how the government had to go about carrying out that order is exactly the sort of thing Torchwood should be doing - ideas that are far too grown up for children, and provide the moral dilemma's and "no way!" disbelief).

So all-in-all, a good start.

Neil
15-Jul-2011, 11:15 AM
^^ Yes! It does indeed seem to be exploring some very interesting areas!

And the clip from a future episode of a dismembered human arm, still wriggling around, is very ROTLD :)

Rancid Carcass
17-Jul-2011, 12:17 AM
Apparently some of the make-up effects were done by Greg Nicotero so that might explain a few things.

:cool:

Neil
17-Jul-2011, 08:31 AM
Apparently some of the make-up effects were done by Greg Nicotero so that might explain a few things.

:cool:

Well... Well... Well...

wayzim
23-Jul-2011, 11:46 AM
Third episode in, alot of room for this series to hang itself since it's jacked up my expectations. Fortunately the scribblers are making Miracle Day into a creditable nasty.

There was one thing, about the casting, which kept giving me several 'Who is That Gal? " moments, and it was the actress who plays the PR agent, Jilly Kitzinger. Something about calculatingly cute, red headed, superfically ditzy front women that's extra creepy to me.
She's played by Lauren Ambrose (Six Feet Under, Can Hardly Wait, In & Out ) and is so seriously glammed up for Torchwood I didn't recognize her. I always liked Lauren, thought she was nice and a cool performer, but wow!

She's defintely carbonating my hormones( A Bloom County Joke ), for sure.

Wayne Z

MinionZombie
23-Jul-2011, 12:04 PM
Aye, I recognised her after a minute - I was like "oh it's Claire from Six Feet Under" ... the character's name was Claire, wasn't it?

We're only on episode two here in the UK - you Americalanders get it before us by several days (we see it on the following Thursday to you guys).

wayzim
30-Jul-2011, 03:08 AM
Aye, I recognised her after a minute - I was like "oh it's Claire from Six Feet Under" ... the character's name was Claire, wasn't it?

We're only on episode two here in the UK - you Americalanders get it before us by several days (we see it on the following Thursday to you guys).

And the nasty keeps getting ratcheted up, but I wonder if the shock value will wear off before the finale( which is episode ten? Or so I'm lead to understand. )

And the whole, 'I'm Putting My Family Ahead of the World. ' angle, creditable or not, it's gotten old real fast. If you save the whole world, you've a better chance at saving your family - I would think.

Oh, and for all this talk about the Dead as walkin talkin disease carriers, Did Lady Doc ask Rex to wear protection? Like Maybe a full body condom?

Just wondering.

Way Zim

Danny
30-Jul-2011, 03:25 AM
just watched episode 3, wow, how bad did the writing take a dive? the scene where they explain nobody can go unconscious, not even if they are a head from a blown up corpse and immediately after that gwen nocks a guy out by whacking his head on a car door? Then the random boomerang character development of the pedo guy, and jacks terrible speech at the end. It seemed to be davis worst from the early tennant era doctor that was a double negative speech that was utterly nothing but bad guesswork, and jack decides to stop investigating to go get pissed and have sex? can he not do these things any other day when this isnt going down?

The whole thing doesnt make sense scene by scene and it tries to rewrite its rules as it goes on. Im guessing the writer had a pitch idea then sat down to write it and nobody really gave it a clean up rewrite so as he went on those "oh!, this might be cool" bits they add later arent retconnned into coherence.

MinionZombie
30-Jul-2011, 10:22 AM
I'd have to agree - episode three was a dud. It felt like one of the bad episodes of Torchwood from series 1 or 2, and all that controversy about the gay sex scene - what a damp squib - nothing happened (they only trimmed the scene for the UK, stupidly enough, but what did they trim? Sod all was happening anyway).

Yeah, episode three was a duff one.

wayzim
07-Aug-2011, 11:16 PM
And the nasty keeps getting ratcheted up, but I wonder if the shock value will wear off before the finale( which is episode ten? Or so I'm lead to understand. )

And the whole, 'I'm Putting My Family Ahead of the World. ' angle, creditable or not, it's gotten old real fast. If you save the whole world, you've a better chance at saving your family - I would think.

Oh, and for all this talk about the Dead as walkin talkin disease carriers, Did Lady Doc ask Rex to wear protection? Like Maybe a full body condom?

Just wondering.

Way Zim

Ok, I sort take back the complaint about the whole "Family before World. " angle (at least where Gwen's Dear Old Ded/Dead is concerned ) still the ick factor has already reached the point where there's not much left to surprise me. Last week, with what PhiCorp did to the Dead is Dead spokes gal( a cameo by Mare Winningham, St Elmos Fire -etc -for those who didn't notice. )was pretty cool.
Also I give a Gold Star to Lauren Ambrose for playing Jilly as a credible Grey Area character.

I hope they wrap everything, because honestly the overall revelation isn't shaping up to be anything amazing at this point.

Wayne Z

MinionZombie
08-Aug-2011, 10:27 AM
Episode 3 was a dud for me - the overwhelming sense of "ooh, a big bad private corporation being all evil" just made me groan ... it feels so stock and off-the-shelf, and it feels more like a rant by people who piss and moan about capitalism, yet directly work within it and profit from it.

Episode 4 (which was on a few days ago in the UK) was better than 3, but the first two episodes were much better ... Bill Pullman is still really good in it though. He's relishing every minute of screentime as that character.