PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King's "The Stand" as three films?

Neil
15-Jul-2011, 10:01 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Harry-Potter-s-David-Yates-May-Do-Stephen-King-s-The-Stand-25700.html

bassman
15-Jul-2011, 12:22 PM
I don't know too much of his work because I'm not a fan of the Potter series, but I would love to see a new version of this story. I watched the TV miniseries recently and while it's still enjoyable, it also hasn't aged very well. A modern big budget version could be great with the right actors.

JDFP
15-Jul-2011, 01:08 PM
I don't know too much of his work because I'm not a fan of the Potter series, but I would love to see a new version of this story. I watched the TV miniseries recently and while it's still enjoyable, it also hasn't aged very well. A modern big budget version could be great with the right actors.

I can't really tell a difference between '94 when "The Stand" was made and today so it really hasn't aged any to me. The 90's to me were like yesterday and I can't really tell much of a difference in styles, clothes, etc. today as opposed to then. The only big distinction I can make from the mid-late 90's to now is that music sucks far, far more than then and people are more paranoid in a 9/11 world.

I remember I was in 6th grade when it originally aired in '94 and was so excited to be able to record it on my new and first VCR I owned I had received for Christmas in '93. Man, that was a great year in starting middle school and really starting to come to know myself. Indirectly, I hit puberty that year too which was really exciting. :D

If "The Stand" today was done they'd have to turn Larry Underwood into a hip-hop/rap artist for "Baby, can you dig your man?" and change it to "Baby, can you dig yo 'bitch?" instead as there really aren't that many rockers still around any longer (or at least making it big anyway) and music has basically gone to hell in the last 15 years or so (in my opinion).

j.p.

Danny
15-Jul-2011, 01:20 PM
and music has basically gone to hell in the last 15 years or so (in my opinion).

j.p.

so 30 is the year people turn into the older generation now :p

JDFP
15-Jul-2011, 01:38 PM
so 30 is the year people turn into the older generation now :p

Get off my lawn, Danny! :p;)

j.p.

bassman
15-Jul-2011, 02:18 PM
I can't really tell a difference between '94 when "The Stand" was made and today so it really hasn't aged any to me. The 90's to me were like yesterday and I can't really tell much of a difference in styles, clothes, etc. today as opposed to then.

It's not so much the clothing or hair styles as it is the overall production value. Some of the decisions were clearly made in a low budget "its for TV" setting and they feel like decisions of the time, if that makes any sense at all. Aside from some poor special effects, which is to be expected, it just gives off the feel of something that would be dated quite quickly.

Again, it wasn't horrible but it just wasn't as great as I remember thinking upon it's initial release.

Can't wait to see what they come up with for the big budget trilogy. Shit....bring back Gary Sinise. :thumbsup:

AcesandEights
15-Jul-2011, 02:30 PM
Again, it wasn't horrible but it just wasn't as great as I remember thinking upon it's initial release.
I thought the beginning was great, the middle okay and the ending pretty bad. I keep hearing this is the way most Stephen Books are, but I've read so few I don't feel I can properly judge.

Shit....bring back Gary Sinise. :thumbsup:
That'd be awesome! :thumbsup:

JDFP
15-Jul-2011, 02:32 PM
It's not so much the clothing or hair styles as it is the overall production value. Some of the decisions were clearly made in a low budget "its for TV" setting and they feel like decisions of the time, if that makes any sense at all. Aside from some poor special effects, which is to be expected, it just gives off the feel of something that would be dated quite quickly.

Can't wait to see what they come up with for the big budget trilogy. Shit....bring back Gary Sinise. :thumbsup:

Yeah, that makes sense, can't really argue with you on it as you're right.

"The Stand" has a special place of nostalgia for me though, so I easily overlook the more mediocre parts of it. The casting was fantastic though, from Laura San Giacomo as Nadine (and yes, I'd still hit that!), to Gary Sinise to "My Favorite Martian"/Judge Henry Bone Ray Walston to Jamey Sheridan who I thought was great as Flagg. There was a great deal of love put into the mini-series even if the $$$ wasn't there.

j.p.

rongravy
15-Jul-2011, 11:37 PM
I know it's a bit dated, but the guy playing Flagg was the bomb diggity. I'm going to check this out, but it's going to be hard not wishing the characters were the same people as the miniseries, as they were perfectly cast. I always feel kind of teary when Rob Lowe bites it.
I seriously need to read the book, I bet it's at least as good as IT was.

Neil
16-Jul-2011, 08:51 AM
I seriously need to read the book, I bet it's at least as good as IT was.

The book is one of King's best IMHO, apart from the ending, which like so many of King's ending seems to fall a bit flat!

rongravy
16-Jul-2011, 02:16 PM
The book is one of King's best IMHO, apart from the ending, which like so many of King's ending seems to fall a bit flat!
I thought that was just the movie adaptations...
Seriously, though, I got into his books as an early teen in the 80's. Alot of them I reread many of them later and wasn't as impressed. Alot of his stuff is cheese, and he cusses like a sailor, I think at times to sell more books. Maybe this is why I loved The Stand and It, since they had to clean it up for regular TV.
I think when you're a kid, he's easy to grab onto, but when you find deeper horror, he's easily dropped from your faves. Admittedly, I haven't read everything he's done, but when I repicked up Salem's Lot, among others, I was like, "Uhhhh, what's the big deal about him again?"
I've always been more a Clive Barker fan, but some King is pretty decent. He just seems like the nerd who is trying too hard sometimes, and those damned cameos...
OK, ramble over, but I'd still like to read this book. The miniseries was pretty superb.
Randall Flagg like a mofo.

Danny
16-Jul-2011, 02:36 PM
call bad taste on me if you want but i think christine is a better book than the stand. haters gonna hate.

JDFP
16-Jul-2011, 02:48 PM
call bad taste on me if you want but i think christine is a better book than the stand. haters gonna hate.

"Christine" is actually my second most favorite horror film of all time (after "Day"). I thought King's novel was excellent but I thought Carpenter's film was true perfection and brought the story to life. I need to re-read "Christine" as it has been years since I've read it, but I remember I thought it was excellent.

j.p.

AcesandEights
16-Jul-2011, 03:35 PM

Which Stephen King book about murderous automotive vehicles is that again?

Talk about wringing a premise dry.

Danny
16-Jul-2011, 03:56 PM
"Christine" is actually my second most favorite horror film of all time (after "Day"). I thought King's novel was excellent but I thought Carpenter's film was true perfection and brought the story to life. I need to re-read "Christine" as it has been years since I've read it, but I remember I thought it was excellent.

j.p.

well that stands good but has a lot of deus ex machina bullshit thats unrelatable. Christine interlaces the paranormal monster car story with the very real, very relatable notion of a guy seeing one of his friends lose himself to an obsession- and lets be honest most of us know a guy around our high school years who got his first car and had a random personality change to a bit of a douchebag.

-- -------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Which George Romero film about murderous autonomous corpses is that again?

Talk about wringing a premise dry.

just sayin'

Legion2213
16-Jul-2011, 07:27 PM
Honestly don't see that much wrong with the original, I enjoyed it. Thought the cast were all pretty good as well (even the skinnier Harrold).

"don't screw with my disco, Nadine!"

Russ7187
21-Jul-2011, 07:32 PM
Looking more and more like this may be happening. If it's done like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, I could see this being the next big film franchise. http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/07/harry_potter_dark_knight_rises.html

clanglee
21-Jul-2011, 07:50 PM
Since Universal pulled the plug on the Dark Tower. . .it'll be nice to see this happen.

rongravy
21-Jul-2011, 07:56 PM
I could see this being the next big film franchise.
I'd love it if they'd redo Battlefield Earth with the same treatment. That book was wayyyyyy too kickass to be done as wrong as it was by Travolta. Some things just can't be condensed. Or pissed on...

Neil
11-Aug-2011, 08:33 AM
Moving forward - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50764

'Potter' masterminds Steve Kloves and David Yates reunite for 'The Stand'

Neil
22-Oct-2011, 09:48 PM
Ben Affleck to direct? Http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/node/51690

bassman
22-Oct-2011, 09:58 PM
Affleck's first two films are great, so i'm game! Let's hope his first attempt at science fiction can be as great as his crime films.

Mike70
22-Oct-2011, 10:30 PM
3 films makes sense. that would be a logical way to divide up such a huge story and have a proper Act I, II and III.

JDFP
22-Oct-2011, 11:18 PM
This could be great. Of course, I'll always have a soft spot for the '94 miniseries in my heart, but this could be something really special if they focus on story and not f/x / CGI nonsense. I agree Affleck's "Gone Baby Gone" was excellent so I have high hopes for this.

Wouldn't actually mind seeing Kurt Russell as Randall Flagg, I think he'd be great in the role.

j.p.

Legion2213
22-Oct-2011, 11:36 PM
Shit....bring back Gary Sinise. :thumbsup:

Now old enough to cameo as General Starkey, watching the world go to shit perhaps?

-- -------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

Wouldn't actually mind seeing Kurt Russell as Randall Flagg, I think he'd be great in the role.

That would work, that would work very well...good call!