PDA

View Full Version : Rise of The Planet of The Apes Trailer

wayzim
16-Jul-2011, 01:35 AM
Went to see the Harry Potter finale today (which I thought ended the franchise nicely. ) and they had the trailer for this abomination of a movie. Did the producers hire that proverbial roomful of monkeys with typewriters, hoping for Shakespeare?

Man, this looked more like a sequel to Deep Blue Sea than any kind of ape movie and the CGI? The makeup for Tim Burton's little misfire at least had real people behind it, and the latest Kong is still light years ahead of this crap.

This is a run don't walk from this turkey, and this is just from the trailer. It's just plain bad.

Wayne Z

"As God is My Witness, I thought Turkeys could fly. "
WKRP in Cincinnati

JDFP
16-Jul-2011, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I saw the trailer too and the whole time I was thinking: "What the hell are those furry CGI things? Are those supposed to be apes???"

I've never understood Hollywood's obsession with CGI as it almost always looks like shit to me. I hate CGI and think it's cheap. Films made back in the 70's/80's when they used models/plastic prosthetics seem more realistic to me in many cases as opposed to CGI. I miss the days when things looked "real".

j.p.

bassman
16-Jul-2011, 03:24 PM
I think it still has potential. I would have preferred make up on humans rather than CGI, but it's just not very realistic to expect that these days. CGI is more efficient so they're obviously going to go that direction. Not to mention this is the "Rise" of the apes, so they need to be like the apes we have now rather than the more human-like apes of the original series.

Most of the CGI actually looks pretty good, imo. The close shot of Ceasar looking around his cage looks great. The rest I imagine they'll be working on right up until the release. Much like Green Lantern, people were concerned with the poor CGI in the trailers but that was definitely improved upon in the final release. It turned out to be least of people's problems with that film.

So yeah....i'm willing to give it a chance. I'm a huge fan of the original films so i'm hoping for the best. It may surprise us in the end. I would love for a continuing series. Maybe if it does well the sequels will change into the more human-like apes of the past.

AcesandEights
16-Jul-2011, 03:33 PM
Weird, I thought thew cgi was fine. Much better than rubber masks for what they're trying to accomplish.

blind2d
16-Jul-2011, 05:02 PM
I keep seeing this on TV! Sick of it!
Other than that, I guess it looks good, but... I'm sorry, I just can't care. Another movie with a lot of special effects about something that was new decades ago. Not really appealing.

Eyebiter
16-Jul-2011, 06:12 PM
Have you read the online Rise of the Planet of the Apes prequel comic yet? http://www.apescomics.com/

Purge
16-Jul-2011, 10:17 PM
The trailer makes it look like the apes are still in an early developmental stage and can't really talk yet. So it's basically just gonna be a bunch of monkees attacking humans. Fun, fun, fun.

blind2d
17-Jul-2011, 01:05 AM
Hey Hey we're the Monkees! And people say we monkey around!
Gosh, they're cool.
Oh yeah... Tim Burton DID do a Planet of the Apes movie, huh? Completely forgot about it...

Eyebiter
24-Jul-2011, 01:10 AM
Noticed a difference between the US and International versions of the Rise trailer.

Why does the US trailer mention the "cure" while the international trailer references the phrase "cure for Alzheimer's" ?