PDA

View Full Version : Songs you get crap for liking...

MikePizzoff
19-Jul-2011, 06:52 PM
Everyone has those songs they love, but all of their friends absolutely can't stand and make fun of them for listening to it. I figured it'd be fun to share our songs here. I'll start it off.

I have loved this song since I first saw it on a Levi commercial in the 90's. My friends loathe it. My favorite part kicks at around 4:20 (huhuhuh)

adywROr6puk

bassman
19-Jul-2011, 07:34 PM
Pretty much anything from The Talking Heads. All of my friends despise them.

Also any of the songs or the very mention of The Rocky Horror Picture show. I used to not like the songs/movie myself, but my wife's a huge fan and turned me around. Science Fiction Double Feature is great, imo...

G5MHNvOVl8Y

Bring on the insults. :lol:

Legion2213
19-Jul-2011, 09:47 PM
Talking Heads are one of the greatest bands ever.

Legion's Verdict: Kill your friends (or at least slap them around until they confess to being philistines).

KsksSWOxq2Y

JDFP
19-Jul-2011, 10:36 PM
Everything from the 80's New Wave that I absolutely dig. The 80's are my favorite decade when it comes to music and all my friends pick on me for it. One of my personal favorites would have to be The Fixx's "The Sign of Fire". Cy Curnin was DEFINITELY on some fine Colombian candy when this video was shot!

vHJatlXEUG4

j.p.

clanglee
19-Jul-2011, 11:24 PM
Talking Heads are one of the greatest bands ever.

Legion's Verdict: Kill your friends (or at least slap them around until they confess to being philistines).

Agreed. . . .tell your friends to put down the Dwight Yoakam CDs and be ready for some fisticuffs!! ;)

Danny
19-Jul-2011, 11:31 PM
kim wilde- kids in america.

haters gonna hate.

MikePizzoff
19-Jul-2011, 11:37 PM
Jason - What's wrong with your friends? Even my friends (rowdy punks/thrashers) love Talking Heads!

JP - I've always loved 'One Thing Leads To Another'

Danny - A limey punk band that I love, The Toy Dolls, have covered that but changed it to 'Kids In Tyne And Wear'

Eyebiter
19-Jul-2011, 11:37 PM
19 by Paul Hardcastle

5XQnlK_FT70

AcesandEights
20-Jul-2011, 12:39 AM
uQqs-Cno5Bc

What can I say? It speaks to me.

Legion2213
20-Jul-2011, 12:47 AM
The 80's rocked for shamefull music that folks secretly like.

I have the likes of Alphaville, A Flock of Seagulls and various other dodgy stuff in my CD collection...and I fucking love it! :p

8COJPsHiVH8

wayzim
20-Jul-2011, 11:13 AM
Jason - What's wrong with your friends? Even my friends (rowdy punks/thrashers) love Talking Heads!

JP - I've always loved 'One Thing Leads To Another'

Danny - A limey punk band that I love, The Toy Dolls, have covered that but changed it to 'Kids In Tyne And Wear'

Speaking of Talking Heads.
A few days ago, there was this little culty film directed by/starring David Byrne on cable.

True Stories (86 ) centers on a small Texas town and its eccentric population. Among the featured players are John Goodman as a lonely guy looking for Love and Swoosie Kurtz as the woman who never gets out of bed.
Really only for fans of the band whose songs are the soundtrack and for folks who like laidback wierd films.

Wayne Z

"Sitting on - Pins and Needles. Things Fall Apart - It's Scientific. "
Wild Wild Life.

"From the age of the dinosaurs - cars have run of gasoline.
Where, where have they gone?
Now, it's nothing but Flowers. "
Nothing But Flowers.

Legion2213
20-Jul-2011, 01:01 PM
to date there is still no UK release of "True Stories" on DVD. I had to import my copy from the US.

It is a very neat movie, and the version of "dream operater" performed by the "Kay Culver" character is worth the price alone.

BqCp_cmQ-IE

shootemindehead
20-Jul-2011, 01:17 PM
Jesus...where to start.

David Soul - Silver Lady
yVRb9m06tUQ

Bondage Fairies - He-Man
ry6ji91X5FA

Desireless - Voyage Voyage
6PDmZnG8KsM

Burzum - Dunkelheit
9Bm-kdLwBVc

Or anything by 'The Beautiful South', 'Cardiacs', 'Immortal', 'Napalm Death' or 'Carcass'.

The wife says "How can you go from Suzanne Vega to Napalm Death?"

That's when she her 'Basement Jaxx' CD across the head. :evil:

-- -------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

Pretty much anything from The Talking Heads. All of my friends despise them.

Eh... ?

MikePizzoff
20-Jul-2011, 04:35 PM
Shootem, I had no idea you were into metal? Carcass is one of my favorite bands. You and I seem to be the same person (we have other things in common), from different parts of the world.

shootemindehead
21-Jul-2011, 06:58 AM
Into loads of things these days Mike. If I like it, I like it. That's the way I see it.

Started listening to metal in my early teens, back in the 80's. I'm old. :( It was Iron Maiden's fault. I heard Live after Death and then got hooked. Later on then, got into Metalica, Slayer, Kreator etc, until it all started getting mad leading to the likes of Napalm Death and Carcass. Around the mid 90's I tuned out though, as things all started to get a bit stale. Kind of rediscovered it in the 2000's for a short while, when got hold of some of that Norwegian Black Metal stuff. Immortal, Burzum and Darkthrone and that sort of gear.

However, I mainly listen to metal for more nostalgic reasons these days and I tend to only listen to the er..."classics" from the 80's period, like "Symphonies of Sickness" or "Leprosy".

Reliving my youth I spose :D

What amazes me these days is how the entire stack of vinyl I had years ago can fit onto one MP3 player. :eek:

Trin
21-Jul-2011, 02:09 PM
First things first...

The Fixx is awesome and "Sign of Fire" is top notch. I have everything I can get my hands on of The Fixx. I loved "Climb the Hill" off of Ink. "Deeper and Deeper" which only appeared in studio cut on the Greatest Hits since it was from a movie soundtrack.

"19" by Paul Hardcastle is a really catchy song. I've listened to it repeatedly.

And mine...

Anything/everything by Devo... I have to listen to all my Devo discs in the basement in the dark after everyone has gone to bed. Speed Racer is probably the worst song ever that I love. But there are tons of Devo songs that qualify. Smart Patrol, Race of Doom, Explosions, Pink Jazz Trancers, etc.... But they also have some that, while still shameful, are pretty kick butt songs... Beautiful World, Doctor Detroit, Agitated, That's Good, Going Under, etc. And, no, I didn't mention Whip It cause that isn't one of my favorites. Devo has a new disc out called "Fresh" and there are a couple good songs on it.

MikePizzoff
21-Jul-2011, 02:43 PM
What amazes me these days is how the entire stack of vinyl I had years ago can fit onto one MP3 player. :eek:

What do you mean HAD?!?! I worship my vinyl collection. It's great seeing the looks on friends' faces the first time I show them original pressings of my Kill Em All picture disc, Age Of Quarrel, Extreme Aggression, Morbid Visions, etc etc etc.

Anything/everything by Devo... I have to listen to all my Devo discs in the basement in the dark after everyone has gone to bed. Speed Racer is probably the worst song ever that I love. But there are tons of Devo songs that qualify. Smart Patrol, Race of Doom, Explosions, Pink Jazz Trancers, etc.... But they also have some that, while still shameful, are pretty kick butt songs... Beautiful World, Doctor Detroit, Agitated, That's Good, Going Under, etc. And, no, I didn't mention Whip It cause that isn't one of my favorites. Devo has a new disc out called "Fresh" and there are a couple good songs on it.

You should check out my buddies' band, The Bad Doctors. Very Devo-esque. http://baddoctors.bandcamp.com/album/distractions?permalink

shootemindehead
22-Jul-2011, 02:18 PM
Yep, it's past tense for a lot of my old LPs now. My limited edition "Ace of Spades" 12 inch died a few weeks ago too. The nephew decided he was going to use a pen on it.

I've no turntable now anyway, so it makes little difference.

Still got Scream Bloody Gore and Leprosy though. ;)

AcesandEights
22-Jul-2011, 02:59 PM
My limited edition "Ace of Spades" 12 inch died a few weeks ago too. The nephew decided he was going to use a pen on it.

While I don't bow at the alter of vinyl, that's rough. Many sympathies.

blind2d
22-Jul-2011, 07:23 PM
I have just one vinyl, 'Dark Side of the Moon', thanks to my uncle.
Am I forgiven since I'm only 21 and not huge into non-CD's (includes MP3s. Screw those)?

MinionZombie
23-Jul-2011, 11:17 AM
Everyone has those songs they love, but all of their friends absolutely can't stand and make fun of them for listening to it. I figured it'd be fun to share our songs here. I'll start it off.

I have loved this song since I first saw it on a Levi commercial in the 90's. My friends loathe it. My favorite part kicks at around 4:20 (huhuhuh)

adywROr6puk

I can't think of a song off the top of my head, it never really comes up, but I'm sure there's some songs that I love that my friends would go "huh?" at.

Anyway - ah I remember that Mr Oizo track fondly from back in the day during my teens. In fact, I've still got the CD Single stashed away. :)

And did you know that Mr Oizo is the dude who made that movie "Rubber" (about the killer car tyre)?

bassman
26-Jul-2011, 05:23 PM
The name "Oizo" just made me think of Oingo Boingo. That's another one that none of my friends or family really like. I remember once having a conversation with a friend in which he said he can't stand Danny Elfman's voice. I then remembered that he's a huge Nightmare Before Christmas fan. I guess he didn't read the credits? He didn't believe me when I told him...

Anyway, I love Oingo Boingo and nobody around me seems to feel the same. But I get the feeling most of them only know of 'Weird Science'.

s7PGHF_kza8

Trin
27-Jul-2011, 03:29 PM
Anyway, I love Oingo Boingo and nobody around me seems to feel the same. But I get the feeling most of them only know of 'Weird Science'.
The sad thing is that Weird Science both made Oingo Boingo famous and killed them at the same time. No one knew them for anything but that and imho it's not one of their better songs. I like Private Life and Stay better by far.

I will say that when I get sick of them being on my iPod it's because of the unique singing style, not the music. I'm not saying it's bad... and the band wouldn't be who they are without it... but it gets tiresome.

bassman
27-Jul-2011, 04:05 PM
Yeah....Boingo was all over 80's movies. Chainsaw Massacre 2, Back To School, Fast Times, Weird Science, etc. Although I knew of 'Weird Science', it was actually "Flesh N Blood" on the Ghostbusters 2 soundtrack that first caught my attention. After looking them up, I've liked them ever since. It's a damn shame they couldn't keep going. I would love to hear how they could have evolved.

Their Farewell Concert album is a must own. Great stuff. I don't have the video of the concert, but you can easily find it on the net. Matter of fact....off I go to watch. :cool:

MinionZombie
27-Jul-2011, 06:15 PM
I should try and listen to more Oingo Boingo - beyond the obvious Weird Science, I'm a big fan of the song "No One Lives Forever" from TCM2. I seriously dig that track (and that movie). :cool:

Mike70
27-Jul-2011, 06:52 PM
I

Started listening to metal in my early teens, back in the 80's. I'm old. :( It was Iron Maiden's fault. :

ditto here. iron maiden is responsible for my interest in metal. that interest has seriously waned over the years but i'll still listen to the "classic" bands from time to time.

and now for my crap taste in 90s music:
I've always wondered what the fuck the camel had to with this song.

fwJazZIWNgg&ob=av2n

MikePizzoff
27-Jul-2011, 06:54 PM
I have just one vinyl, 'Dark Side of the Moon', thanks to my uncle.
Am I forgiven since I'm only 21 and not huge into non-CD's (includes MP3s. Screw those)?

No, you aren't forgiven! Seriously, though, vinyl isn't for everyone and I get it. However, I'm only 26 but I've been collecting vinyl since I was 12 (thanks to the older punx in high school).

And did you know that Mr Oizo is the dude who made that movie "Rubber" (about the killer car tyre)?

No way! Now I really gotta see that movie! Did he happen to do any of the soundtrack?

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2011, 10:19 AM
Mike - yeah he did the music too.

Although the film is half-good and half-utter-horse-shit, so you should lower your expectations as a result. Below is what I made of it.

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2011/05/hextuple-bill-mini-musings-art.html

Rubber:
The movie about a killer car tyre - who the hell wouldn't want to see it?! Well, half of it anyway. The half that follows the tyre discovering its powers and exploding heads is enjoyably daft ... but the other half is an eye-rollingly pretentious load of old bollocks, that is so self aware it's not in the slightest bit funny, witty, or entertaining. If all that wasn't in the movie, it'd be a spiffing 40 minutes - or personally, I would have gone in a different direction with such an idea as a killer car tyre.

The opening monologue, about "no reason", is apparently supposed to be ironic. Now, is that because none of the examples given demonstrate "no reason" at all, or is it ironic for another reason and the annoying monologue is actually being serious? I enjoyed the silliness of the cop arriving in the trunk of a police car, which knocked over a series of chairs in the middle of a road, but for goodness sake I didn't need the poncy-arsed bullshit that came afterwards and was dotted throughout the movie. So it's a very split flick - one half of it is total crap that thinks far too much of itself, and the other half is an enjoyable askew idea of a killer car tyre blowing up people's heads in and around the desert motel that was memorably featured in Rob Zombie's wonderful The Devil's Rejects.