PDA

View Full Version : what the hell arkansas?

Danny
19-Jul-2011, 09:34 PM
http://gawker.com/5822031/is-arkansas-town-now-the-least-democratic-in-the-usa

So the mayor of this american town is campaigning because the council has tried to fire him and has instated a law saying no groups can be formed without their permission. political discussion groups to book clubs, nothing. No public speaking about politics or anything is allowed. it is now as illegal as tying to rob a family at gunpoint.

This is like the 4th U.S town ive read about doing this sort of thing this month.

When the hell did 'land of the free' turn int an ironic, sarcastic comment? isn't this completely antithetical to your constitution? i mean this is the kind of thing that should piss off the left and right wing in equal measure but its taken as kosher enough to pass? that is supremely fucked.

imagine watching the news in the pub and some arsehole politician comes on and a local cop hears you go "what a twat", now he has grounds to arrest you. think about that. On U.S soil you can voice your free speech and opinion on a political issue and be carted away by the police for thought crimes. WHAT. THE . FUCK. :eek:

this shit is freaky. like 1984 freaky. No questioning the political leaders in public? is it a democracy or soviet russia circa the 1940's?

MikePizzoff
19-Jul-2011, 11:43 PM
is it a democracy or soviet russia circa the 1940's?

Good question.

States/counties/municipalities are able to pass their own laws [to an extent] without going through congress. Sadly, sometimes the laws are obscene and asinine.

Legion2213
20-Jul-2011, 12:54 AM
I read the comments and most folk seem to think it's completely un-constitutional and will be shot down by the higher courts long before the idiots who passed it are shot down by angry citizens.

Mr. Clean
20-Jul-2011, 01:51 AM
Who cares....and don't worry, I doubt the dummy who came up with this law got paid very much to do so in the first place.

The town covers 1.5 square miles with a population of 1,305 in 2000.

That part of Arkansas is a shit hole anyways. If the stink from the papermill doesn't make you find the quickest way out of that county then I would imagine the crime rate probably will.