PDA

View Full Version : St Trinian Remake, Actually pretty good

wayzim
24-Jul-2011, 06:01 PM
Having been a huge fan of the original late 50's movies (with the always enjoyable Alastair Sim in drag as the head mistress, and also as her shiftless brother ), when I'd heard they were updating the series for 2007, I imagined how many ways it could be messed up.
Even with press shots of the older girls properly tarted up, and Rupert Everett (well known Poof ) in the Alastair Sim role, I thought 'No way is this gonna turn out well. '

A few years later, and I finally sat down to watch it on cable, and - it was a whole lot of fun.
Two of Englands National Treasures (Talulah Riley) Annabelle is dumped at St Trinians school for girls by her no good father Carnaby(Rupert ), a disaster area run by her aunt Camilla(also Rupert )
She soon discovers that Anarchy rules, from the grubby faced first years booby trapping the halls and making moonshine, to the upper classgirl cliques running thier own operations - supervised with sardonic affection by the Head Girl(another pair of Britains best, Gemma Arterton(this is listed as her first film, there is a God. ), Kelly.
The plot(something about Colin Firth seeking to shut down the school, and a mortgage due, and an art theft. ) - is secondary to the mayhem concocted by the girls on either side of the puberty line, and even Russell Brand ( as St Trinian's con man go between ) is probably better here than in any of his Hollywood ventures.

So if you're a fan of Girls Gone Wild films, this ain't one of them since it's strictly PG-13, but Girls of All Ages Engaging in Crazy Capers and just general Mayhem? It's done with great fun and a wink n a nod to the originals.

Now I just have to find St Trinians 2.

Wayne Z