PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Still MMOing?

AcesandEights
02-Aug-2011, 02:28 PM
I was thinking of rolling casual on an MMO, as I've got a bit of the itch to play something that lasts a little longer than 40 to 60 hours of gameplay and offers some persistent world craziness.

I'm sure my fond remembrance of MMOs gone by will pass once I hit a level/gear ceiling or get ganked 50 times in a single gameplay sessions, but till then I figured it's easy enough to hop into a game, suck at it for awhile and see if it's fun or not. That said, I have no clue of the current state of affairs for the major ones and don't know what under-the-industry-radar options are available.

Anyone got the ear to ground on this gaming front?

Danny
02-Aug-2011, 02:59 PM
your best off waiting till the end of the year, the current decades gen of mmo's are all dying off, even wows subscriber base is steadily declining and many games are being shut down.

The 'next gen' or them are all starting to appear and they look neat. Personally as a long time wow player im sick of the tank-dps- healer and faction vs faction during an apocalypse bullshit. to be honest my ideal mmo would be fable online where we can all make heroes that literally affect the path of a world and what towns prosper and what becomes a swampy ghost town. They are getting there with phasing but the techs just not there yet. but heres some worth noting.

FjCehYrEbO0
guild wars 2 which is going to be free to play, gets rid of the tank-dps-healer mandatory trinity and adds things like blocking, dodging and self healing so each player actually is some rpg hero and not filling a special slot they cant deviate from.

E7WHHQokRGs
star wars the old republic, looks like a wow clone with voice acting and mass effect/dragon age conversation wheels so im not interested, but you know folks are chomping at the bit to own another game with star wars in the title.

woBJX-KSH_k
the secret worlds a survival horror rpg set in the 'real' world with zones like a zombie infested, lovecraftian new england town thats been trapped in fog they cant escape form for 2 years for example. theres no levels, armour or grinding. you play one of the illuminati, the catholic churches templars or the dragon, a mysticism based yakuza. promising a lot of worldwide locations like new york or paris it looks...interesting.

0CWp6SCHWLc
most neckbeardly of the lot, warhammer 40,000 online: dark millenium. gears of war meets world of warcraft. only criticism is you can only seem to be ultramarines, nurgle plague marines, imperial guard or orks right now. but i suppose a lone space marine from every chapter running around doesnt make sense when they are units of soldiers, not roaming heros.

AcesandEights
02-Aug-2011, 03:25 PM
Good to know, Danny. Thanks! I had been hoping there may have been something that slipped through I was unaware of, but it looks like anything I do in the meantime will probably just be filler.

Yeah, Secret World sounded so great when I first heard about, a type of game I've always wanted, but even then I wondered if it might end up as just vaporware. Now? If it gets released you know I'll give it a go. Small subscriber base? In this case, it would probably make me happy, all while being sympathetic to the devs.

Guild Wars 2...now that is on my list as a real possibility. The wait has been killing me, though I've barely even been paying attention.

Warhammer 40K, I just don't think they'll nail the feel from the perspective of game play choices.

MikePizzoff
02-Aug-2011, 06:19 PM
Minecraft. Notch is looking to start delving into the realm of RPG. It's already [semi] massive multiplayer.

AcesandEights
02-Aug-2011, 07:51 PM
Minecraft. Notch is looking to start delving into the realm of RPG. It's already [semi] massive multiplayer.

Good point, actually. Maybe I have to revisit that thread and find a server!

CoinReturn
02-Aug-2011, 08:29 PM
I've never really gotten into any MMOs, but damn does Star Wars: The Old Republic look killer. Might have to look into that one.

Danny
02-Aug-2011, 08:51 PM
also avoid world of warcraft, its not half the game it used to be. its literally all single content outside on instances and everybody just stands in the orc or human city in ques to be ported to random pug dungeons. they killed the world, pandered to farmville level casuals and care about subscriber numbers rather than story.

seriously, ive loved the warcraft games since orcs and humans back in the early 90's, it sad that its not not even as good as korean free to play cash shop mmos made by a skeleton crew and the story is mary sue fan fiction dogshit thats nothing but corruption of good guys and dragons getting raped.

not. joking.

clanglee
02-Aug-2011, 11:13 PM
KOTOR is looking GOOD!! It seems a nice combo of the single player style game they previously released and Multiplayer.

I played DC Heros for a month. I actually quite enjoyed it! It was a decent action type MMORPG. But I don't know anyone else that plays, so I quickly got bored.