PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my 'Day of the Dead' DVD

BrotherD
25-Jun-2006, 07:46 AM
Does anyone else have problems with their Day of the Dead DVD? I've goen through two copies of it now (both from Amazon.com), and they are some glitches and skips in the movie at aroudn the same spot . . .

MinionZombie
25-Jun-2006, 10:53 AM
1) Which version of the DVD is it?
2) Sure it's not just a skip on the DVD where the video changes levels?

More detail for the second one - DVDs have multiple layers on the discs, so when the video changes from one level to the next, there is a slight pause at the moment of switchover, which usually occurs at a specific scene change chosen by the DVD authors. If it's happening in the same place, that's most probably what it is.

Of course, not seeing the problem with my own two eyes I can't be completely sure, but I reckon it's just a layer change pause, which is a common thing with DVDs.

Philly_SWAT
25-Jun-2006, 11:58 AM
On the newest release of Day, the yellow one with Bub on the cover, it is known that there were audio/digital problems with it. I own a copy, but have yet to unwrap it, so I dont know if mine has the problem or not. I watched the one my friend has, and his did not have any problems.

MinionZombie
25-Jun-2006, 12:19 PM
You mean the Divimax edition? I've got that, and I've certainly had no problems with it. Must have been the first batch that got sent out or something, but my copy of the Divimax DVD is certainly clean with no glitches etc.

theCaptive
25-Jun-2006, 03:46 PM
I have the Divimax version and have had no problems with it.

Phildogger
25-Jun-2006, 04:53 PM
Just bring it to Best Buy, say you just bought it, and want to exchange it. Repeat until fixed!

BrotherD
25-Jun-2006, 05:14 PM
It is the Divimax edition of the DVD that I'm having trouble with.

The first go around, the movie started falling out of sync and froze up just after Rhodes kills Fisher. In order to continue watching the movie, I had to skip ahead in the scene selection, passing over Logan's death, and moving on from there.

Because the DVD was something I purchased from Amazon, and I had been sitting on it for too long before actually opening it to watch it, it was too late to return it. I ended up buying another copy.

This time, the DVD starts to skip around the same point in the movie, but at least it doesn't completely lock up. (The disc was brand new and this was the first time it was played . . . )

Regardless, it was pretty frustrating.

And, of course, I waited too long to check this second version, so it's too late to return it again . . .

creepntom
25-Jun-2006, 05:15 PM
i'm going with operator error for $1000 Alex :p

BrotherD
25-Jun-2006, 05:24 PM
i'm going with operator error for $1000 Alex :p

Just out of curiousity, you don't think I checked both the DVD and the DVD player for errors, dust, dirt, scratches, obvious visible flaws, etc. before posting here . . . ?

AcesandEights
25-Jun-2006, 06:54 PM
I don't know man, but I believe I have this same edition and have not had any problems.

How old is your DVD player?

MaximusIncredulous
25-Jun-2006, 09:33 PM
It's probably your player. Do you have a different player or DVD-ROM to try it out in?

BrotherD
26-Jun-2006, 02:18 AM
I have tried the DVDs in multiple players . . .

I may just be the victim of an unfortunate coincidence . . . Two discs . . . similar problems . . . Just plain weird . . . :|

creepntom
26-Jun-2006, 03:14 AM
jeesh, some people have no sense of humor these days

you could have just gotten a bad one, could have been a bad batch, who knows

there was a bad batch of hostel dvd's out there when it was released, so it is possible

Eyebiter
26-Jun-2006, 10:40 AM
Try both DVD's in another DVD player, see if the problem follows the disks.

I've got an old Toshiba dvd player that cuts out on occasion watching certain movies. From searching the internet it's a known issue with that model. Google your DVD player and see if there are similar problems with it. Might be time for a progressive scan upgraded model. You can get a decent dvd player with remote now for under 50 bucks.

DjfunkmasterG
26-Jun-2006, 10:57 AM
I had a similar problem with Cinderella Man. I went through 2 copies before I found a working one. The problem now is the machines used to make DVD's are ten years old so they are going to start churning out more junk with each pressing.

Two have 2 discs with the same problem in the exact same spot tells me it is a pressing issue at the manufacturer. Or something happened to the master copy right before pressing.

MaximusIncredulous
26-Jun-2006, 09:04 PM
Try contacting Anchor Bay for replacements. Some DVD studios are real good are replacing defective discs, even older ones. I had a problem with Universal's Psycho, which I bought back in '98, that wouldn't play anymore. They were quick to replace it with a new release. Hopefully Anchor Bay will do the same for you.

http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/index.asp?p=Contact_Us

BrotherD
27-Jun-2006, 01:10 AM
Two have 2 discs with the same problem in the exact same spot tells me it is a pressing issue at the manufacturer. Or something happened to the master copy right before pressing.

That's what I suspected, which is why I posted here in the first place . . . I wanted to see if anyone else had a similar problem . . .

Try contacting Anchor Bay for replacements.

I did contact them the first time around, and never heard back from them.

Ah, well. The Divimax version of Day of the Dead isn't THAT expensive . . . I can always buy another one! (And check it this time before too much time passes so I can exchange it if I need to . . . )

MinionZombie
27-Jun-2006, 10:17 AM
Buy it from somewhere else too (you got the first two copies both from Amazon right?), go somewhere like this Best Buy place I keep hearing you Americans talking about. Maybe Amazon have a reet dodgy batch...

DjfunkmasterG
27-Jun-2006, 11:43 AM
Best Buy is great for buying DVD's on the cheap when they are first released. After the 1st week they jack up the price so it is best to head over to Wally World and start digging through the $5.00 bin which is where you find a lot of titles now a days.

I was in Wally World last night. I found DAWN 2004 and SHAUN of the DEAD on the $9.99 rack and LOTD is now on the $14.99 rack. Dawn 04 and Land are also available as a 2 pack DVD buy, only in Full Screen though.

Since I was hunting down some cheap films I picked up L.A. Confidential, and a replacement for my broken True Lies DVD for $5.88 a pop. :D

MinionZombie
27-Jun-2006, 12:18 PM
Geebus, they're STILL producing films in fullscreen?! Why bother?!

*ARGH* I f*ckin' despise pan & scan, it's like celluloid rape!