PDA

View Full Version : Ghostbusters 3

JDFP
13-Aug-2011, 03:37 AM
So is it, or is it not, ever going to happen?

Sorry, no news updates here (as of yet), but please feel free to post your speculations, complaints, whining, and just general good frolicking in the woods comments below.

Personally, I'd love to see a sequel if giving the proper respect to the original two. Then again, in today's time and age it would probably be butchered by petty bullshit CGI (of course, you all know my feelings towards CGI, and if you don't I'll sum it up by this -- I despise it) and silliness like crotch jokes as opposed to attempting to tell a good story.

Ultimately, I hear it's up to Bill Murray. And Bill, "Lost In Translation" and "Broken Flowers" were both beautiful and excellent films, but c'mon man, get with Sigourney Weaver who I hear would love to do it and bring Rick Moranis out of retirement and bring back Annie Potts ('cause face it, what the hell else does she have going on?) with the rest of the cast and tell the damn story.

If it doesn't happen the next few years, I'll make a prediction it will never happen.

And I'll be the first to state you're damn right I'll boycott any "Ghostbusters" REMAKE as absolute bullshit mockery. To hell with a "remake", I would absolutely refuse to watch it unconditionally, I want a sequel damnit!

j.p.

rongravy
13-Aug-2011, 03:51 AM
I listened to a call in by Bill to Howard Stern the other day, not sure how old it was. Bill said the script was laying on his desk, and he wasn't in a hurry to read it. I'd like to see another movie, but I don't want them passing off the torch to the next generation of Ghost Bustin' doods. Maybe if they did like Indy 4 and at the end they were like, "Nahhhhh, we're keeping the suits!!!"
I heard at one time it was going to be an animated thangie. Glad they aren't doing that anymore at least.

Danny
13-Aug-2011, 09:00 AM
eh, i played the game on the xbox from last year, thats good enough. i dont really expect gold if they make a 3rd. infact i predict something worse than evolution.

bassman
14-Aug-2011, 02:49 PM
Yeah, it's all waiting on Murray. He's repeatedly lashed out against a third film, but also said that he feels like he owes it to Reitman for getting his film career started. He also said voicing the video game reminded him how much he loved the character and is now open to the idea. He just doesn't want it to be another Ghostbusters 2, which he hates.

This is a really great article covering the creation process and "failure" of Ghostbusters 2: http://icantgetlaidinthistown.blogspot.com/2011/07/summer-of-89-part-3-hundered-million.html

And don't kid yourself with the "remake" thing. Ghostbusters 3 has always essentially been a reboot. It will have the original guys, but the entire purpose of the idea is to introduce a new group of comedians to carry the potential franchise into the future.

I also agree with Danny. The video game is the third movie. Go play it and you've got a pretty good trilogy on your hands.

ProfessorChaos
28-Aug-2011, 05:04 PM
here we go again:

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/26/dan-aykroyd-ghostbusters-3-is-officially-on/?hpt=hp_bn5

AcesandEights
28-Aug-2011, 08:19 PM
Maybe if they did like Indy 4...

Please, no. Indy IV had a beginning, middle and end....that's about as close as I'd want a 3rd GB film to get to following its lead. :)

Neil
14-Feb-2012, 08:51 AM
More talk but seemingly still no progress...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Dan-Aykroyd-Threatens-Recast-Venkman-Probably-Nonexistent-Ghostbusters-3-29411.html

Aykroyd suggested to Empire that they could bring in another actor to play Venkman. He also said there's still more work to do on the script, so it doesn't seem like they've made any actual progress in the last, oh, three years or so. But none of that has ever stopped Aykroyd from plugging the movie that doesn't seem to be at all close to existing, even though, after taking a role in the Will Ferrell- Zach Galifianakis comedy Dog Fight, he's got a real film to work on. Akyroyd denied the recent, hilarious rumor that Murray had sent him back a copy of the new script after passing it through the shredder, but that's the version of things I'll continue to believe-- the script in tatters, and the almighty fury of Bill Murray preventing the movie from ever, ever happening.

Danny
14-Feb-2012, 09:55 AM
i read on some sites lists of rumoured replacements akaroyd thought about 'just in case', and in a sea of seth rogan a likes jim carrey was the only competant actor who could pull pete venkman off other than bill himself, of course.

bassman
14-Feb-2012, 11:59 AM
Murray should use GB3 as a way to secure funding for whatever personal projects he wants to make. The entire reason he did the first film is because they agreed to fund his pet project, Razor's Edge. So he's actually never had much faith in the franchise, even from the start...

AcesandEights
14-Feb-2012, 01:38 PM
The unfortunate thing is, something like this could work and work well. The upshot is, given it's a return to an old and geek-honored IP, it probably wouldn't get the care and tender hand it would need from conception through scripting to directing, and would be more likely to suck than to kick ass. And any GB follow up at this point should kick total ass, or just not be made.

Danny
14-Feb-2012, 03:58 PM
And any GB follow up at this point should kick total ass, or just not be made.

tell that to ghostbusters 2...

AcesandEights
14-Feb-2012, 04:04 PM
tell that to ghostbusters 2...

I was going to say the same thing--have said it before--but didn't want to go there :)

Danny
14-Feb-2012, 04:38 PM
I was going to say the same thing--have said it before--but didn't want to go there :)

why not? looking back on it without nostalgia ghostbusters 2 is as bad as the first is good. the slime gets more screen time than the ghostbusters, they use the power of good cheer to save the day, the token black guy- with certainly more acting ability than egon gets barely any lines or screentime and the whole movie is basic fanservice as its worst.

i love the ghostbusters. i do NOT love ghostbusters 2, frankly the game was a better sequel.

bassman
14-Feb-2012, 04:40 PM
Ghostbusters 2 isn't so bad. Sure it's a bit of a rehash and doesn't have the same spark as the original, but it's still got some classic jokes.

AcesandEights
14-Feb-2012, 04:55 PM
why not?

I got the hounds released on me last time :)

But, yes, I agree with you, a poor follow up of a film that doesn't stand very well on its own and fails pretty hard to even be propped up by its association with its classic predecessor.

bassman
14-Feb-2012, 05:20 PM
You'd be surprised how many hardcore Ghostbusters fans actually prefer the second film over the original...

AcesandEights
14-Feb-2012, 05:24 PM
You'd be surprised how many hardcore Ghostbusters fans actually prefer the second film over the original...

It's got some quirky so-bad-its-funny sort of stuff going on, but the idea does shock me.

I was flipping channels a couple months back and heard a priest quoting Vigo at a funeral: "Death is but a doorway, time is but a window, I'll be back." which to me was funny as hell. Unfortunately, for me, it was funnier than the actual whole of GB2.

MinionZombie
14-Feb-2012, 05:27 PM

Now that I find hard to swallow - but to each their own - GB1 is, in my mind, clearly superior to GB2 ... however, despite GB2's failings I still love it and I dig it as part of the first movie so-to-speak. It's like a slightly more concentrated version of BTTF1 vs BTTF3 ... the third is the weakest of the three, but it compliments the other two movies as part of a trilogy arc well.

bassman
14-Feb-2012, 05:34 PM
It turns out Aykroyd never suggested anything about recasting Venkman. The original article was picked up and altered like a bad high school rumor. Here's the original quote from Empire:

welsh_evs says: Is it true that Bill Murray sent a Ghostbusters 3 script back shredded with a note that said: "No-one wants to pay money to see fat, old men chasing ghosts"?

Bill Murray is not capable of such behaviour. This is simply something that would not be in his nature. We have a deep, private personal relationship that transcends business. We communicate frequently and his position on the involvement in Ghostbusters 3 has been made clear and I respect that. But Bill has too much positive estimation of my writing skills to shred the work.

Original source: http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1460

And while you guys have made it clear that you dislike GB2, he also says that it's heading to Blu Ray with special features and commentaries. I'm looking forward to that.

Trancelikestate
14-Feb-2012, 11:37 PM
I still play GB on XBL almost everyday and have encountered many who like GB2 more. Personally i do not but as mentioned how BTTF3 compliments the others well GB2 in fact does this VERY well and perhaps more so if you have played the single player campaign as many times as i have and know the story as i do. Matter of fact, I'm #28 on the XBL leaderboards. Should i admit that? :p

Danny
15-Feb-2012, 04:57 AM
Ghostbusters 2 isn't so bad. Sure it's a bit of a rehash and doesn't have the same spark as the original, but it's still got some classic jokes.

eh, i just find the jokes forced, like "guys i shouldnt be representing you, i got my law degree at night school" "thats okay lewis, we were arrested at night". compared to things from the original like "wait, quiet!- you smell that?" they just dont compare. The first just has far more clever writing.

I dont hate it, its just nowhere near as good as the classic that preceeded it.

MinionZombie
15-Feb-2012, 08:46 AM
For me GB2 became almost indistinguishable with GB1 when I was a kid because I'd watch both movies so often, so they kind of melded together in my mind ... so sure, it does go over a lot of the same ground here and there, but I dig it just the same. :)

And yes - the Ghostbusters Videogame rocked socks alright - I must give it another spin (I've already done so twice), as it was really enjoyable and struck a perfect line between providing the fans the opportunity to kind of 'play the movies' (or more 'play the first movie' really) and also get a follow-up to the movies. :cool:

Danny
15-Feb-2012, 01:12 PM
And yes - the Ghostbusters Videogame rocked socks alright - I must give it another spin (I've already done so twice), as it was really enjoyable and struck a perfect line between providing the fans the opportunity to kind of 'play the movies' (or more 'play the first movie' really) and also get a follow-up to the movies. :cool:

Honestly? i kind of want a 2nd game more than a 3rd movie. the cast can voice these still middle aged ghostbusters so it doesnt need to be the generic 'WHY WE SO OLD PASSAGE OF TIME!' wild hogs em up.

MinionZombie
15-Feb-2012, 02:51 PM
Honestly? i kind of want a 2nd game more than a 3rd movie. the cast can voice these still middle aged ghostbusters so it doesnt need to be the generic 'WHY WE SO OLD PASSAGE OF TIME!' wild hogs em up.

I definitely agree that I'd love to have another videogame ... perhaps they could have a level involving old train tracks, sewers, and slime (that'd be cool for the fans) ... but yeah, I'd totally be up for another GB videogame!

bassman
15-Feb-2012, 02:59 PM
There won't be a second game. At least not involving the actors. While GB:TVG was successful in a sense, it didn't do as great as Sony and TR had hoped. Most likely because of the high fees involved with the actors' voices.

MinionZombie
15-Feb-2012, 03:03 PM
There won't be a second game. At least not involving the actors. While GB:TVG was successful in a sense, it didn't do as great as Sony and TR had hoped. Most likely because of the high fees involved with the actors' voices.

A damn shame ... aye, I'd figured it was unlikely to happen when it was followed up by an XBLA title that was that sort of 3/4 overhead view ... a damn shame though. GB:TVG was excellent.

Trancelikestate
15-Feb-2012, 08:34 PM
Yeah 2and game would be fun but i'd be happy with dlc at this point. Speaking of a slime level check out this abandon concept art. As you know i converted the models to gta. I plan on creating a small map using this art as inspiration. Prob won't turn out nearly as cool and you couldn't bust ghosts but i could make some people drool on youtube.
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h422/trancelikestate1/6a00d83452033569e20133ecd19a1f970b-800wi.jpg

MinionZombie
16-Feb-2012, 10:11 AM
Yeah 2and game would be fun but i'd be happy with dlc at this point. Speaking of a slime level check out this abandon concept art. As you know i converted the models to gta. I plan on creating a small map using this art as inspiration. Prob won't turn out nearly as cool and you couldn't bust ghosts but i could make some people drool on youtube.
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h422/trancelikestate1/6a00d83452033569e20133ecd19a1f970b-800wi.jpg

Pretty nifty ... it would have been nice to have a 'slime level' in the game. But nevermind, the game we got is still excellent.

krisvds
03-Aug-2012, 04:58 AM
So it's a go without Murray? Why even bother?

http://www.chud.com/102449/aykroyd-bill-murray-not-in-ghostbusters-3/

bassman
03-Aug-2012, 12:11 PM
Without a confirmation from Sony, I'm not buying it. This is most likely Aykroyd manipulating the headlines in an attempt to scare Murray into joining.

Besides....they can only make the movie with Murray's blessing or if he sells away his portion of the rights.

Danny
03-Aug-2012, 01:08 PM
^ aye this, after aykroyd stopped mid advert for his vodka to talk about ufos ive kinda not taken him on his word on everything :lol:

bassman
03-Aug-2012, 01:29 PM
^ aye this, after aykroyd stopped mid advert for his vodka to talk about ufos ive kinda not taken him on his word on everything :lol:

If you've got netflix, look up "Dan Aykroyd Unplugged on UFOS" for a few kicks. It's a "documentary" with nothing more than an interview in his tour bus discussing UFOs. The guy REALLY believes in all things not of this Earth. It's unintentionally funny...

EDIT: It's on youtube :lol:

lqyNh0k0dtU

Neil
26-Feb-2014, 08:02 AM
Still talk of this happening - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/66317

The report does specify that Ramis had only been scheduled to have a cameo role along with Aykroyd and apparently Bill Murray so his passing won’t affect the script (the one written by Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky is still being used) in any major way. Bill Murray has consistently said that he won’t appear in GHOSTBUSTERS III, so I am a little confused as to why this report seems to make it seem that he is signed for a role in the film.

bassman
26-Feb-2014, 12:14 PM
After getting back into character and renewing his love of the franchise while voicing the video game, I had hoped Murray would return. Now that Ramis is gone, I have less hope that it'll happen. Just count the video game as the third film, which it is, and let it go.

If for some reason they do go through with a third film, I don't think it would be disrespectful to have a ghost that pays tribute to Ramis. In fact, I believe it was his idea to have Murray return as a ghost in an older draft of the script. He probably would've liked that idea.

MoonSylver
26-Feb-2014, 04:59 PM
Meh. I kind of wish they wouldn't proceed with a third one now. Haven't been real thrilled since I learned that the leads would just be reduced to bit parts anyway. Now with Ramis gone...:( A ghost cameo could work if done respectfully, & like Bass, I think he would have liked it, but still...:|

blind2d
27-Feb-2014, 03:20 PM
Meh. I kind of wish they wouldn't proceed with a third one now. Haven't been real thrilled since I learned that the leads would just be reduced to bit parts anyway. Now with Ramis gone...:( A ghost cameo could work if done respectfully, & like Bass, I think he would have liked it, but still...:|

Exacta-Moon-do.

Neil
19-Mar-2014, 01:08 PM
More talk of it starting production next year - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26643855

Ivan Reitman, who made the first two Ghostbusters films, says he will not direct the third instalment following the death of its star Harold Ramis.

Speaking to Deadline Hollywood, Reitman said he made the decision after attending Ramis's funeral last month.

"It was really moving and it made me think about a lot of things," he said.

He will remain on board as a producer, helping Sony to find a new director. The film studio hopes to start shooting Ghostbusters 3 in early 2015.

bassman
19-Mar-2014, 01:25 PM
Strange that Ramis' death actually inspired Reitman to push the film further. I still don't think it will happen, but if for some reason it does, it's nice to hear that Reitman feels it's forming organically and could retain the spirit of the original film. With Spengler(Ramis) being the creator of the equipment, I hope they just retain the original equipment and don't have some new character that creates new packs. After all, the proton packs are so iconic it would be foolish to reinvent them...

MoonSylver
19-Mar-2014, 03:29 PM
Heard last night that Reitman wasn't directing...:(

Still really don't know how to feel about this one anymore. Have to go into total "just wait & see" mode now I suppose.

bassman
21-Mar-2014, 12:08 PM
Directors of 21 Jump Street and The Lego Movie in talks to direct? http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/phil-lord-chris-miller-reportedly-being-sought-to-helm-ghostbusters-3