PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting Day of the Dead on DVD.

UndeadChicken
19-Aug-2011, 03:32 PM
Tom Savini's remake of Night of the Living Dead is probably not only my favorite zombie movie but my favorite movie of all time too. It was really awesome when I managed to get it on DVD, but now I'm thinking about getting my second favorite zombie movie: George Romero's original Day of the Dead.

While I didn't think the plot of Day of the Dead was as good as Night of the Living Dead, I loved this movie because of the special effects used on the zombies and because it was the first movie to explore the idea of a zombie apocalypse aftermath. The opening where you see the abandon Florida city with all the zombies swarming the streets is probably my favorite scene in the entire movie.

So yeah, hopefully when I get some money I will be able to order it online. :)

AcesandEights
19-Aug-2011, 03:55 PM
I definitely love my copy and it was pretty affordable and easy to find. I think I even bought it out out a big box store when I happened upon it. Decent extras too.

UndeadChicken
19-Aug-2011, 04:09 PM
I remember seeing it at Walmart years ago, it's really too bad I didn't buy it back then because now I can never seem to find it at Walmart. I've discovered that ordering movies online is the best way to find specific movies you can't find in stores.

Andy
19-Aug-2011, 05:35 PM
I absolutely LOVE day of the dead, its my second favorite Romero movie right after NOTLD and right in my top 5 horror movies ever. It has a great atmosphere, great acting, great effects and a great story and imho is romeros strongest movie right after NOTLD.

Personally, this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Day-Dead-DVD-Lori-Cardille/dp/B000EBFOTW/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_3) is my favorite DVD of day, you americans will need a region free DVD player for this one as its a UK release but definitely worth it i think. I remember sending a copy of this over to axlish a while ago.

UndeadChicken
19-Aug-2011, 05:44 PM
Well it's not that I think the plot of Day of the Dead was bad or anything, but I felt that the most interesting parts of the movie happened in the beginning and end. Of course that was when we got to see some actual zombie action and got to look at the brilliant make-up effects Tom Savini used on the zombies. I just kind of felt that the middle of the film spent too much time being about nothing, just soldiers and scientists being assholes to each other. But I still loved the movie because it had a very dark and despairing feel to it, and the zombies were indeed more terrifying than they were in any other Romero film I can think of.

rongravy
19-Aug-2011, 10:11 PM
Personally, this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Day-Dead-DVD-Lori-Cardille/dp/B000EBFOTW/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_3) is my favorite DVD of day, you americans will need a region free DVD player for this one as its a UK release but definitely worth it i think. I remember sending a copy of this over to axlish a while ago.
What's different on it than, sayyyy, the one I have that has the velcro thangie connecting the opening flap and has Bub on the cover, with the booklet, 2 dvds, and some sweeet extras? Just wondering...
It didn't say what was really on the one you linked, unless I'm just a tard and didn't see it.

acealive1
20-Aug-2011, 01:29 PM
day of the dead is AWESOME on dvd. so many little things they threw on there that just make u feel good to be a zombie fan. i remember just one day blindly searching on amazon about 6 years ago and found day of the dead 2 disc and the remake of night for like $13 total. shipped. i jumped on that like some free pussy

AcesandEights
20-Aug-2011, 03:33 PM
the one I have that has the velcro thangie connecting the opening flap and has Bub on the cover, with the booklet, 2 dvds, and some sweeet extras...

This is the version I have and it does indeed kick shedloads of ass.

bassman
20-Aug-2011, 07:07 PM

Just never fall asleep with the menu music playing. It won't leave your head for weeks...

AcesandEights
20-Aug-2011, 07:15 PM
Just never fall asleep with the menu music playing. It won't leave your head for weeks...

Like I could sleep right after watching Day :duh: :D

bassman
20-Aug-2011, 07:20 PM
I used to do it all the time before my wife and I got together. I LOVED falling asleep with any of the original three films. They relax me. I dunno why...

rongravy
21-Aug-2011, 01:30 AM
Ok, what's the difference between ours and the one Andy has? Does his have kickass schnizz ours doesn't?!?!?

bassman
21-Aug-2011, 03:38 AM
I may be mistaken, but I believe the version andy's speaking of is the same as the 2 disc US version but includes a few short docs from a recent screening and Q&A with Pilato. I believe it was an Arrow release?

EDIT: This one (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?15960-quot-Day-quot-25th-anniversary-U.K.-dvd&highlight=day+arrow+dvd)?

rongravy
21-Aug-2011, 04:19 PM
I may be mistaken, but I believe the version andy's speaking of is the same as the 2 disc US version but includes a few short docs from a recent screening and Q&A with Pilato. I believe it was an Arrow release?

EDIT: This one (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?15960-quot-Day-quot-25th-anniversary-U.K.-dvd&highlight=day+arrow+dvd)?

Thanks for the clear up. I wonder if those that aren't on ours can be found on Youtube. I thought my copy was pretty badass, as Day is my fave of the trilogy. I like any docs on any of the 3 anyway.

GRMonLI
22-Aug-2011, 04:12 PM
I used to do it all the time before my wife and I got together. I LOVED falling asleep with any of the original three films. They relax me. I dunno why...

Me too!

Ragnarr
24-Aug-2011, 04:40 PM
Tom Savini's remake of Night of the Living Dead is probably not only my favorite zombie movie but my favorite movie of all time too. It was really awesome when I managed to get it on DVD, but now I'm thinking about getting my second favorite zombie movie: George Romero's original Day of the Dead.

While I didn't think the plot of Day of the Dead was as good as Night of the Living Dead, I loved this movie because of the special effects used on the zombies and because it was the first movie to explore the idea of a zombie apocalypse aftermath. The opening where you see the abandon Florida city with all the zombies swarming the streets is probably my favorite scene in the entire movie.

So yeah, hopefully when I get some money I will be able to order it online. :)

Yeah, I'm a fan of Romero's first three z-flicks and Savini's remake of NotLD also, and I agree that the opening florida street scene was awesome; the characters can hear that erie howling sound of thousands (if not millions) of zombies.

-- -------- Post added 24-Aug-2011 at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was 22-Aug-2011 at 03:42 PM ----------

Just watched Day of the Dead again last night and enjoyed it. I think my DVD copy was a lame version; there's no extra features like I'm gathering from this forum's posts. Are yours a 2-disc version?

bassman
24-Aug-2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah it's 2 discs. The R1 dvd with special features has bub on the cover in front of a crowd of zombies. Here:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQACHgGlBfjQy5I_F3c11My_j1jNq538 XgyUUAL7VLF0DzGwWdW_Q

This is the best version to get if you live in the states.

rongravy
24-Aug-2011, 04:54 PM
Yeah it's 2 discs. The R1 dvd with special features has bub on the cover in front of a crowd of zombies. Here:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQACHgGlBfjQy5I_F3c11My_j1jNq538 XgyUUAL7VLF0DzGwWdW_Q

This is the best version to get if you live in the states.

Yep, that's the one I've got. Does yours have the velcro cover thangie, with the booklet inside? I have to be careful sliding other dvds in next to it, so I don't muss it up. Trying to keep it in pristine condition here.
I thought about getting the better version of Dawn, but it just has different versions, most of which I read sucked anyway.
Day is my fave, so I wanted all the schnizz I could get.

bassman
24-Aug-2011, 04:57 PM
I've pretty much retired my dvd copy of Day. Moved on to the blu ray. The case was f*cked anyway. I loaned it to a friend who then ran over it while backing out of the driveway but the discs were fine.

As for Dawn, the best R1 version is the Ultimate Edition, which is fantabulous. All three edits of the film, feature length documentary, multiple commentaries, trailers, pictures.....just....EVERYTHING. Four discs of awesome. A must-own for any fan.

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/DawnOfTheDeadBox.jpg

Ragnarr
24-Aug-2011, 05:09 PM
Mine is the lame version dvd apparently; just the movie disc (1), no special features whatsoever. I'll just have to go to my local B&N to rough-up the pimpley-faced clerk and demand the awesome 2-disc version I suppose.

rongravy
24-Aug-2011, 09:58 PM
I've pretty much retired my dvd copy of Day. Moved on to the blu ray. The case was f*cked anyway. I loaned it to a friend who then ran over it while backing out of the driveway but the discs were fine.

That's one I don't lend out, like my South Park box sets. I try not to open the cabinet I put my numerous dvds in my entertainment center because people think I'm a fricking Blockbuster when I do. Then you gotta chase them down to get stuff back. People suck.

As for Dawn, the best R1 version is the Ultimate Edition, which is fantabulous. All three edits of the film, feature length documentary, multiple commentaries, trailers, pictures.....just....EVERYTHING. Four discs of awesome. A must-own for any fan.

I stand corrected. I have the one disc one, I'd like to have the deluxe then, maybe if I find it cheap somewhere...

bassman
24-Aug-2011, 10:43 PM
That's one I don't lend out, like my South Park box sets. I try not to open the cabinet I put my numerous dvds in my entertainment center because people think I'm a fricking Blockbuster when I do. Then you gotta chase them down to get stuff back. People suck.

I used to feel the same, but now I'll only loan out movies to a select few people. Some of them I actually swap back and forth with, so it works out for all parties involved.

I stand corrected. I have the one disc one, I'd like to have the deluxe then, maybe if I find it cheap somewhere...

You should be able to easily find it under 20 bucks. I believe I once saw it at a local Best Buy for 10 bucks. Looks like it's only 16 right now on Amazon. If you have a blu ray player, you can usually find both Dawn and Day under 10 bucks.

acealive1
25-Aug-2011, 01:47 AM

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/DawnOfTheDeadBox.jpg

i remember calling anchor bay when i bought mine telling them the dvd had a glitch where one of the features didnt work. the guy assured me it worked. then said give me ur info. so 2 weeks later after i had got my refund at best buy, i got a fed ex package with a glitch free copy of the set.