PDA

View Full Version : West Memphis 3 finally freed!!!

MikePizzoff
19-Aug-2011, 07:02 PM
As an avid follower/supporter/donator of these guys, today is a great day!

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/08/19/arkansas.child.killings/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gNkkUPnrFXOXTnk2yuE0QC3MCCcQ?docId=e94b345d0 4af4b1ba4257eb03a03d698

AcesandEights
19-Aug-2011, 07:28 PM
I read about this this morning, good to see follow up on it. It's a shame they had to basically plead guilty to, from what I've heard, avoid state liability for wrongful incarceration.

acealive1
19-Aug-2011, 08:38 PM
our justice system failed them for so long.

MikePizzoff
19-Aug-2011, 08:59 PM
I read about this this morning, good to see follow up on it. It's a shame they had to basically plead guilty to, from what I've heard, avoid state liability for wrongful incarceration.

Yeah, it is a shame, but there was some weird loophole where they were able to plead guilty while upholding their stance on being innocent.

The biggest shame is that we'll probably never know who the real murderer(s) was and the West Memphis PD will never be reprimanded for the shit show they put on in 1993.

Mr. Clean
20-Aug-2011, 01:36 AM
Yeah, it is a shame, but there was some weird loophole where they were able to plead guilty while upholding their stance on being innocent.

The biggest shame is that we'll probably never know who the real murderer(s) was and the West Memphis PD will never be reprimanded for the shit show they put on in 1993.

It was Jury Trial though. Actually two jury trials. The PD isn't the only problem with this case. Also, I'm sure behind the scenes some elected official(s) was putting pressure on the PD and the prosecution to get a conviction.

As for the loophole to plead guilty to get out of jail I think it is bullshit. Perhaps they do not belong in jail but they were put in jail by a jury then they should be released by a pardon from the Governor or retrial by a jury. The loophole should not exist.

-- -------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Addition: I do not know if I would have admitted guilt for freedom. It's possible that I would have because freedom is something of great value but by doing so....you piss away any chance of a payout by the state for wrong doing.....years down the road they will possibly regret this decision and we will hear non-stop bitching about how they were screwed.

Good luck getting a decent job after prison time aswell... :|

Kaos
20-Aug-2011, 02:19 AM
Those boys need to get their asses out of the bible belt, pronto.

blind2d
20-Aug-2011, 01:44 PM
Anyone remember when Zero did some decks to help these guys out a few years back? Nice to see that wasn't for naught.

MikePizzoff
20-Aug-2011, 05:18 PM
It was Jury Trial though. Actually two jury trials. The PD isn't the only problem with this case. Also, I'm sure behind the scenes some elected official(s) was putting pressure on the PD and the prosecution to get a conviction.

Yeah, I know it there were juries. However, if it weren't for the PD mishandling everything, bullying a "confession" out of a mentally challenged kid, then hiring their own prosecution to mislead the juries, there wouldn't be much blame to put on the juries. That's just the way I look at it.

I wore my FREE THE WM3 shirt last night, getting a lot of "You know they're free, right?" :rolleyes:

shootemindehead
20-Aug-2011, 10:26 PM
Have you seen 'Paradise Lost' Mike?

MikePizzoff
21-Aug-2011, 01:03 PM
Have you seen 'Paradise Lost' Mike?

Yeah, I've seen both of them. Anticipating the 3rd one's release. I've also read/own The Devil's Knot.

Did a presentation on these guys for one of my classes a couple years ago.

rongravy
21-Aug-2011, 04:28 PM
My personal jury is still out on the whole thangie. I saw the docs way back on HBO, and everyone, including the 3 doods accused, were some weird ass people. I gave up on wondering who did it. It could've been anyone: them, the one's stepdaddy with no teeth, the ice cream man, Mr Freakin' Bojangles...?!?!?
And those docs were very on the sides of the 3. I'd say that swayed alot of the public alone, without bothering to dig deeper into the facts. Experts, schmexperts.
I'm just saying...

MikePizzoff
21-Aug-2011, 04:38 PM
The book isn't biased, like those documentaries. Neither is the new evidence they found, which points to one of the victims' father and his friend. Oddly enough, they aren't doing shit about it.

rongravy
21-Aug-2011, 04:53 PM
The book isn't biased, like those documentaries. Neither is the new evidence they found, which points to one of the victims' father and his friend. Oddly enough, they aren't doing shit about it.
Yeah, I saw something about that guy. Never read the book, and I'm definitely not saying I'm ANY kind of expert on it. Just that everyone involved in this was weird as all get out, lol.

bassman
21-Aug-2011, 05:12 PM
Wow....never expected to see that headline...

MikePizzoff
21-Aug-2011, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I saw something about that guy. Never read the book, and I'm definitely not saying I'm ANY kind of expert on it. Just that everyone involved in this was weird as all get out, lol.

Well, it IS [kinda] backwoods south.

shootemindehead
21-Aug-2011, 09:05 PM
My personal jury is still out on the whole thangie. I saw the docs way back on HBO, and everyone, including the 3 doods accused, were some weird ass people. I gave up on wondering who did it. It could've been anyone: them, the one's stepdaddy with no teeth, the ice cream man, Mr Freakin' Bojangles...?!?!?
And those docs were very on the sides of the 3. I'd say that swayed alot of the public alone, without bothering to dig deeper into the facts. Experts, schmexperts.
I'm just saying...

I can't imagine that the three kids did anything. Sure they could act wierd, especially Echols. But really, he was only acting like a dumb teenager would act. Christ, I was a bit like that myself at 17.

However, Byers? That guy's away with the fairies. He's as mad as a box of frogs, weapon obsessed, extremely violent, has a serious criminal record, possessed with a religion and is a proven liar.

Why he was never fully investigated is a farce.

Neil
22-Aug-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm just saying...

You mean:-

The material included hair from a ligature used to bind Moore and a hair recovered from a tree stump near where the bodies were found, Arkansas Supreme Court documents said.

The hair found in the ligature was consistent with Branch's stepfather, Terry Hobbs, while the hair found on the tree stump was consistent with the DNA of a friend of Hobbs, according to the documents.

Does seem odd this evidence being at the crime scene?!

And this from elsewhere:-

DNA was found on the murder scene from one of the stepfathers, Terry Hobbs. Hobbs is an alleged child abuser and violent person with sexual deviant tendencies. The ex-wife of Hobbs and her family are convinced that he had something to do with the murders. The hope is that this case will not be brushed under the rug and that the pursuit for the real killer(s) will continue.

Neil
02-Dec-2011, 09:25 AM
Paradise Lost 3 - Best Documentary

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52139

Mike70
05-Dec-2011, 05:21 PM
this whole case was the poster child for one of the most important life lessons you can ever learn: don't EVER and i mean EVER talk to or give a statement to the police without an attorney present.

jesse misskelly's (hope that spelling is right) "confession" is a classic example of a false confession. take someone with an IQ of like 80 or so (i believe jesse's IQ was in that range, if not lower), without any education, without any legal advice/representation, put them in a room with cops trained in interrogation and that person will end up admitting to just about anything in the world, most of the time simply to please the interrogators.

the shit thing is that so much time has passed that the chances of actually catching the monster that perpetrated this abomination have diminished to near zero.

-- -------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Why he was never fully investigated is a farce.

because the police already had their devil worshipping teens. that sort of shit sets off all manner of panic, bells and alarms in the american south (esp. the so-called bible belt) and is absolutely great fodder for the media. hey, with such a fuckin' circus already in swing who needs an actual, professional investigation.

Neil
22-Dec-2011, 11:07 AM
I must get around to watching these documentaries!

EvilNed
22-Dec-2011, 11:24 AM

Everything is bias.

Mike70
22-Dec-2011, 10:00 PM
Everything is bias.

understanding is a three-edged sword.

EvilNed
22-Dec-2011, 10:08 PM
*Tries to picture a three-edged sword*

rongravy
23-Dec-2011, 02:17 AM
You know what?
Maybe they're innocent. Maybe that one guy's toofless stepdaddy did it. But alot of times, most of the time, people plead retarded after they confess, just to get out of it, much later after the fact.
Unless we build a time machine we'll never know.
No one can be sure those idiots didn't do it.
Stoopid people do stoopid things and then recant it. I know I have/haven't.

Mike70
23-Dec-2011, 06:43 PM
*Tries to picture a three-edged sword*

B5 reference- a vorlon saying. i was agreeing with you. in any argument/debate etc. there is your side of the story, the other side of the story, and then the truth which lies somehwere in the middle and is never, ever reflected either in the pro or con side.

childofgilead
24-Dec-2011, 05:04 AM
*gasp*

In Valen's name! Another Lurker!

Mike70
24-Dec-2011, 08:30 PM
*gasp*

In Valen's name! Another Lurker!
greatest damn show ever.

Tricia Martin
31-Dec-2011, 07:04 PM
I'd been following their story for years! I was so happy they finally got released! My heart goes out to them for all they had to endure.

bassman
19-Jan-2012, 04:12 PM
New documentary produced by Peter Jackson....

vFSuAI1ao8A

Neil
15-Jun-2012, 12:50 PM
Time for the film - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Devil-Knot-Casts-Role-West-Memphis-Three-Damien-Echols-31415.html