PDA

View Full Version : LOTD sequel thought

Graebel
25-Jun-2006, 09:20 PM
I liked LOTD except for the hero who did embody the word bland. I mean give me Ken Foree any day.

I think the sequel would be way better if they scrapped the crummy parts - death by awesome zombie carnage comes to mind - and got a stronger cast behind the trip north.

Plus I'd love to see an odd hero like Charlie could be.

Join up with survivors from Cleveland?

And cut out the crummy FX blood shots. They don't look like real blood anyway. The squirting didn't have enough gravity/viscosity to it.

Zombie animals? I don't know but that would be seriously effed up. Dogs have been done, but I see horses as eminently threatening. And squirrels maybe....:lol:

IMHO:rockbrow:

Debbieangel
10-Jul-2006, 01:20 AM
I liked LOTD except for the hero who did embody the word bland. I mean give me Ken Foree any day.

I think the sequel would be way better if they scrapped the crummy parts - death by awesome zombie carnage comes to mind - and got a stronger cast behind the trip north.

And cut out the crummy FX blood shots. They don't look like real blood anyway. The squirting didn't have enough gravity/viscosity to it.

Zombie animals? I don't know but that would be seriously effed up. Dogs have been done, but I see horses as eminently threatening. And squirrels maybe....:lol:

I agree they could do something with Rileys character juice him up a bit...I would love for them to stop near my neck of the woods on their way up to North from Pittsburgh. I sure hope they make another one only make it different.

Philly_SWAT
10-Jul-2006, 05:10 AM
Whenever I saw Riley, I couldnt help but think of another part that he played, the gay-actor-wannabe from L.A. Confidential. That was such a high profile movie, and listed on imdb as in the top 20 of all time. That and Dennis Hopper took away from the "unknown cast makes it more believable" aspect of GAR's three earlier dead films.

Graebel
10-Jul-2006, 01:36 PM
Whenever I saw Riley, I couldnt help but think of another part that he played, the gay-actor-wannabe from L.A. Confidential. That was such a high profile movie, and listed on imdb as in the top 20 of all time. That and Dennis Hopper took away from the "unknown cast makes it more believable" aspect of GAR's three earlier dead films.

John Leguizamo and Asia Argento aren't exactly unknowns either. And while I've seen Robert Joy in other movies, he is always a character actor.

bassman
10-Jul-2006, 02:18 PM
Hasn't this all been covered? Numerous times?:confused:

This poor, beaten horse.....

:p

Personally, I thought Baker played a pretty good leader/protagonist. I hope he is back for the sequel.

Graebel
10-Jul-2006, 06:28 PM
Hasn't this all been covered? Numerous times?

Not to be nasty, but if you've read the discussion before. Don't open the thread.

bassman
10-Jul-2006, 07:56 PM
Not to be nasty, but if you've read the discussion before. Don't open the thread.

Chill sis....it was a joke.

Sort of, anyway...:D

AcesandEights
10-Jul-2006, 09:29 PM
So, not to hijack this thread, but I just had to make sure I understand this: you ladies didn't like Riley because he was a 'nice' guy and so boring (what with saving that hooker, killing zombies, counting coup on Kaufmann's flunkies, taking back Dead Reckoning and some how finding time to brood about humanity's inability to build a better tomorrow and learn from our mistakes)?

Pffft, don't go out of your way to break any stereotypes :p

OddDNA
11-Jul-2006, 01:14 AM
LOTD 2 they find out Riley was played perfectly bland and emotionless because it turns out he is also a zombie.

(Maybe Big Daddy planted him in the green as a spy? Smart, Tricky zombies)

Graebel
11-Jul-2006, 01:40 AM
you ladies didn't like Riley because he was a 'nice' guy and so boring

Big Daddy had more personality then Riley.:p Expressionless does not equal nice. I like nice guys. Boring, no.

creepntom
12-Jul-2006, 08:33 PM
while the obvious would be to follow where the zombies or riley's gang go,

which way do you think Foxy went?

granted the guy playing foxy isn't marquee caliber, but it's another option into what direction the next film could follow

Graebel
12-Jul-2006, 08:39 PM
while the obvious would be to follow where the zombies or riley's gang go,

which way do you think Foxy went?

granted the guy playing foxy isn't marquee caliber, but it's another option into what direction the next film could follow

He was headed to Cleveland.

AcesandEights
12-Jul-2006, 09:56 PM
He was headed to Cleveland.

Ahhhhh, Cleveland. This could be Cleveland's one opportunity to be an interesting town to visit ;)

That said, it'd be nice to see some other examples of post-rising reclaimed settlements.

zombiegirl
12-Jul-2006, 10:09 PM
I think it was stated in the movie that no one had heard from cleavland in a while leaving me with the impression that it was probably over run. I think that would still kinda leave things open for him. (maybe, it's been a while since I watched land)

AcesandEights
12-Jul-2006, 10:14 PM
I think it was stated in the movie that no one had heard from cleavland in a while leaving me with the impression that it was probably over run. I think that would still kinda leave things open for him. (maybe, it's been a while since I watched land)

I believe you're correct, but cross-country communication in a zombified world would be undependable at best.

Graebel
13-Jul-2006, 08:53 PM

Yeah, but maybe they could shoot in Pittsburgh and pretend that it was Cleveland. (You know since Toronto was Pittsburgh.):clown:

He couldnt' have gotten far after dropping Cholo off. Maybe he went back and hooked up with the others.

Moon Knight
17-Jul-2006, 05:18 PM
I Really did like Riley's character, considering that Peter from Dawn of the Dead is still my all time favaorite hero, Riley was a different character so that made it feel like I wasn't watching the same "badass" type hero.

Earlier Heroes in the prior films were only exposed to the crisis for a short period of time. I mean it's been at least a year for poor Riley. I mean, c'mon, if we were all exposed to all that horror we be a lil gray to.

I would love to see another flim from GAR exploring these same characters. It may be a bit refreshing.

bassman
17-Jul-2006, 06:22 PM
I Really did like Riley's character, considering that Peter from Dawn of the Dead is still my all time favaorite hero, Riley was a different character so that made it feel like I wasn't watching the same "badass" type hero.

Earlier Heroes in the prior films were only exposed to the crisis for a short period of time. I mean it's been at least a year for poor Riley. I mean, c'mon, if we were all exposed to all that horror we be a lil gray to.

I would love to see another flim from GAR exploring these same characters. It may be a bit refreshing.

Intresting idea. I never thought about the fact that he had been dealing with it for a longer period of time.

I agree with you, though....Riley was a pretty good character.

But I do think we're in the minority on this one...

OddDNA
17-Jul-2006, 08:29 PM
Character as much as the actor.

Brubaker
10-Sep-2006, 10:11 PM

Does anyone here have any idea why they'd need to be talking to Cleveland? What would they talk about?

-How many zombies have been wasted in the past few days.
-How many humans have been bitten the past few days.
-How we're doing on supplies.
-Is there light at the end of the tunnel in this outbreak?
-Any other outposts still running?

Cleveland probably got tired of hearing from their ass. You'd run out of things to talk about sooner or later.

Don't you think other outposts would be pissed about taking on new members from places that are wiped out? As greedy as everybody was in the Green (the rich and most of the poor), would a place like Cleveland want a mass exodus of folks from the Green, regardless of their social class? Only so many supplies and space to go around.

jim102016
11-Sep-2006, 06:57 PM
Who's to say there are any other outposts left besides the 'Green' in that particular geographic part of the United States? When Cleveland fell (if it did) perhaps the last of the living non-Green citizens in that part of the country perished with it. Being only about 115 miles between the two cities, there is a real possibility that the only truely living humans remaining were behind the guarded walls of the Green.

Had the Green had a different leadership structure, could they could have taken more advantage of the Cleveland enclave before it was too late...maybe even saved it?

Now that I think about it, in all of LOTD, there is no talk or mention about the Green's policies/laws about mmigration into the city. We see some woman in the begining being introduced to how the security perimeter is set-up and maintained...but she could very well be starting a new job only.

What if some strangers were to show up at the Green, how would a Stalinist man like Kaufman view it? A threat or a value to his society? It would be interesting to know how many people he turned away in addition to how many he had killed while he was numero uno.

hseiken
11-Sep-2006, 07:43 PM
I would think that Kaufman would say 'Hell no'. The less of the have nots there are, the more the haves can have. Not like he's doing them any favors or anything...I'm kind of interested in any threads dealing with ideas of HOW he came into power...and the general politics of who he decides gets a nice living and who doesn't (other than if you were an errand boy, you get squat).

darth los
27-Jun-2007, 12:45 AM

Not only was the hero bland, he did his best to make himself unlikable. I don't know if this was a product of GAR wanting us to sympathize more with the ghouls than the humans or not, but could he have been any bigger an asshole?

bassman
27-Jun-2007, 12:54 AM
I think i'm the only one around here that likes Riley.:shifty:

darth los
27-Jun-2007, 12:58 AM
I think i'm the only one around here that likes Riley.:shifty:

Lol. Don't get me wrong. I want to like land in the worst way. I just haven't been given a reason to. I know i talk alot of junk about it, but like they say the worst gar zombie film is still better than 99% of the crap that's out there.
I just hold gar to a higher standard.

bassman
27-Jun-2007, 01:01 AM
I was just talking about the character of Riley and Simon Baker's portrayal of the character. I liked it....and I think i'm the only one.

At least I don't like Eugene Clark's acting as Big Daddy........I don't think ANYONE likes that....

darth los
27-Jun-2007, 01:03 AM
I was just talking about the character or Riley and Simon Baker's portrayal of the character. I liked it....and I think i'm the only one.

At least I don't like Eugene Clark's acting as Big Daddy........I don't think ANYONE likes that....

We're in agreement on that atleast. ;)

Like i said, i think it was purposely done to Transfer our sympathy from the humans to the stenches. Every movie has someone to root for right? Come to think of it asia argento's character wasn't exactly Ms. Congeniality either.

bassman
27-Jun-2007, 01:10 AM
We're in agreement on that atleast. ;)

Like i said, i think it was purposely done to Transfer our sympathy from the humans to the stenches. Every movie has someone to root for right? Come to think of it asia argento's character wasn't exactly Ms. Congeniality either.

Aside from the effets and some of the social commentary, she's one of my favorite parts of the flick while watching it these days.:p

darth los
27-Jun-2007, 01:12 AM
Aside from the effets and some of the social commentary, she's one of my favorite parts of the flick while watching it these days.:p

oh, there's no doubt she's good eye candy. I was just refering to the lack of likeable characters in the film. After all liking a chick is not a pre requisite to shagging her right? :D

bassman
27-Jun-2007, 01:17 AM
Definite eye candy.:D

http://www.lahiguera.net/cinemania/actores/asia_argento/fotos/822/asia_argento.jpg

darth los
27-Jun-2007, 01:22 AM
I wonder where that tatoo leads. :elol:

EvilNed
27-Jun-2007, 01:26 AM
I don't think she's hot at all. And that tattoo just makes it worse.

And I like Eugene Clarks acting. Well, maybe like is a strong word. But I don't mind it, and he has the perfect looks for the role.

darth los
27-Jun-2007, 01:44 AM
And what would those looks be? Anybody playing a zombie can be made up to "look" the part.

Danny
27-Jun-2007, 01:54 AM
to reply to the past 2 pages:

yes riley sucked, he was as bad as the guy like him who got bitten at the end of dawn 04'

i actually liked big daddy and his performance gave him the feel of a neolithic tribal chief when he roared usually over the way his kind were being treated, he was savage but he had purpose, he was meant to be more as a person weras bub was more the comic relief without the comedy, not to say bub was bad, it just meant you could empathise with him and most people jsut expected hissing ghouls that they want to see get shot but like usual romero didnt go with the flow,but the we have it.

i didnt like land at first either los, i keep comparing it to the origional trilogy ,but view it as a stand alone film which more than a few people who saw it did and its entertaining, good location, good plot that has a commentary on the time it was made and for the price the doovde costs its a great action movie;) and i for one would love to see romero do a sequel, or a series spin off when dairys done.

^ and bassman, blatantly.:lol:

bassman
27-Jun-2007, 01:59 AM

Hey now.....I don't get wood over the film. It's definitely the least of the series. I'm just able to view it as a stand alone film, just as you said, and it's an entertaining film.

But if you're talking about Asia.....then...well....yeah.:lol:

darth los
27-Jun-2007, 02:00 AM
i didnt like land at first either los, i keep comparing it to the origional trilogy ,but view it as a stand alone film which more than a few people who saw it did and its entertaining, good location, good plot that has a commentary on the time it was made and for the price the doovde costs its a great action movie;) and i for one would love to see romero do a sequel, or a series spin off when dairys done.

Well like it or not we're stuck with it. I think i'm going to have to take it out of the context of the trilogy, that's the only way it's ever going to grow on me. Me and MZ were discussing this in another thread. Dawn is gar's epic. The crown jewel in his career. Anything he did from that point on paled in comparison, including day, which from what i hear some people dislike as much as land. So i'm going to try and give it another shot. On the subsequent viewing i will try and put the other 3 films out of my mind.

EvilNed
27-Jun-2007, 01:05 PM
And what would those looks be? Anybody playing a zombie can be made up to "look" the part.

Different kind of actors look good for romantic, action or such and such roles. Eugene Clark looks good as a zombie. Plain as that!

bassman
27-Jun-2007, 01:13 PM
Different kind of actors look good for romantic, action or such and such roles. Eugene Clark looks good as a zombie. Plain as that!

How was he good as a zombie? His walk wasn't consistent and the only thing that made him resemble a dead person was Nicotero's make up effects. The character of Big Daddy would have been much better off with either a new actor or Clark giving the role the time and consideration that it deserved.

EvilNed
27-Jun-2007, 01:40 PM
How was he good as a zombie? His walk wasn't consistent and the only thing that made him resemble a dead person was Nicotero's make up effects. The character of Big Daddy would have been much better off with either a new actor or Clark giving the role the time and consideration that it deserved.

I don't imagine a zombie at that stage would have a consistant walk, seeing as he is becoming more and more aware of himself. And his facial features are very outlined, giving him a skull like look (which was then further enhanced by Nicoteros make up). So thus, he looks the part!