PDA

View Full Version : Most promising actor?

SymphonicX
24-Aug-2011, 05:58 PM
Who do you feel is the actor with the most promise that you've seen recently?
For me the most obvious choice is Tom Hardy - without a doubt a fantastic performer. But someone who's stood out to me more and more recently is the wonderful Michael Sheen. What a fantastic actor - Frost/Nixon is a particularly great example of pure acting at it's finest - both the seasoned Langhella and Sheen are amazing.

Even with smaller parts such as Zeus in Tron: Legacy - Sheen's brilliant style shows through. Playing it as a campy, over the top evil club-owner, he totally nails the character with his short screen time. Unfortunately this character type has popped up in countless movies (the sharky-lawyer-business type guy who inevitably becomes cannon fodder for the bad guy) but with Sheen, he just perfects it. It's the subtle nuances of his performances which set him above most other performers of his peer group/nationality.

He is without doubt an actor well above his station - a true thespian GENIUS performer and has done more in two scenes than the pretty boys like Jude Law have done all their careers...

Although Jude Law aint bad, by any stretch of the imagination....

bassman
24-Aug-2011, 06:17 PM
I think Michael Shannon is about to get the large scale attention he deserves with Man of Steel. Fantastic actor.

SymphonicX
24-Aug-2011, 06:23 PM
He'll be the saving grace of that movie, no doubt about it!

Danny
24-Aug-2011, 07:30 PM
by the end of the potter films i am convinced the harry and hemrione two will always be "the potter kids who think they're toffs" but i will bet you good money rupert grint is the next robert carlyle in terms of 'brit flick' actors.

acealive1
24-Aug-2011, 07:33 PM
anthony mackie from the adjustment bureau and eagle eye

blind2d
25-Aug-2011, 01:22 AM
I wanna say Steve Buscemi.

shootemindehead
25-Aug-2011, 06:38 AM
But someone who's stood out to me more and more recently is the wonderful Michael Sheen.

Yep, agree on Sheen. I don't know where you're from and if you're from out side of England it mightn't mean much to you, but he played a brilliant Brian Clough in a film called 'The Damned United'.

The only "sports" film worth a damn in my opinion.

Eyebiter
25-Aug-2011, 06:28 PM
I wanna say Steve Buscemi.

His big break was Reservoir Dogs back in 1992.

bassman
25-Aug-2011, 07:30 PM
His big break was Reservoir Dogs back in 1992.

I would say the early Coen Brothers films put him on the map before Reservoir Dogs, but yeah.....he's been a major actor for decades. Where you been, blind? :p

Although he's kinda already well known, I really dig Ryan Gosling. I think he's still got something really huge coming in the future.

blind2d
26-Aug-2011, 12:47 PM
What I'm saying is... I don't like anybody new, basically. And I'm on a Tarantino kick right now.
Uma Thurman?

Mike70
12-Sep-2011, 06:15 PM
tom hardy kicked ass (literally at times) in "Bronson", which if you haven't seen drop what you are doing and get on netflix.

i'm just glad no one listed seth rogan or michael (the human piece of cardboard) cera. i might just have to track you down and shoot you in the eye with a BB.