PDA

View Full Version : Melancholia (Apocalyptic film)

krisvds
29-Aug-2011, 05:41 AM
Very different take on the 'end of the world' scenario by Lars Von Trier.
Beautifully shot the film focuses on the relation between two sisters (Kirsten Dunst and Charlotte Gainsbourg). We meet them at the wedding of Justine (Dunst) where we quickly come to know that this young woman is suffering from a serious depression. The wedding party soon turns to the party from hell; awkward speeches, the most cynical mother figure ever, ... Her sister Claire (Gainsbourg) and her family seem to be more balanced (and not to mention filthy rich) and try to help Justine after the doomed party.
At the same time there is talk of a planet entering our solar system. This planet, 'Melancholia' will do a close 'fly-by' of the earth, or so the scientists say. It becomes apparent that this is not the case, the two planets will collide effectively ending all life on earth. This realisation triggers a change in the relation between the two young women.

Very artistic, brilliantly acted, and deeply brilliant. An absolute must-see!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzD0U841LRM

JDFP
29-Aug-2011, 05:00 PM
I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly wouldn't be feeling "Melancholia" no matter the situation if Kirstin Dunst was around me. She's just a fine, fine lady in more ways than one, ahem. :D

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing this one, but with that said "Anti-Christ" by Trier was one of the most overly pretentious films I've ever seen so I'm a bit "ehh..." with this to see how it goes. And I'm a guy who generally loves independent/low-brow films.

j.p.

rongravy
29-Aug-2011, 08:28 PM
I'd check it out. But one thing: wouldn't even a fly by planet that didn't actually suck us into a collision with it pull us out of our current orbit around the sun, messing our schnizz up anyway?
I read where it said the other planet was larger than us.
Just wondering...

krisvds
30-Aug-2011, 06:28 AM
I think you are right Ron. The physics are passed over rather quickly in the film. But it doesn't really matter in the end, it's a doomsday fantasy that is more about how humans deal with depression and mortality. This sounds a bit heavy handed but this may well be Von Trier's most accessible effort ever.

@JDFP: There's at least one scene in the film that you, as a fan of Dunst, will really like. I believe there is a snippet in the trailer where you see the actress naked, lying in the grass, bathing in Melancholia's blue glow... It's still Von Trier though, quite arty. Might irk some people. But believe me, some scenes near the end of the film when we see the approach of the planet and the inevitable conclusion will stay with you for a long time.
And what's this about Antichrist? To me that's the best cabin in the woods film in a long time. I recommend it to every person who holds romantic opinions on motherhood and/or the power of rationality over emotion: ;-) Then again, I'm a Von Trier fan.

AcesandEights
30-Aug-2011, 06:33 PM
But one thing: wouldn't even a fly by planet that didn't actually suck us into a collision with it pull us out of our current orbit around the sun, messing our schnizz up anyway?

You can thank Hanna-Barbera for today's education:

LhAobPugvsk

rongravy
30-Aug-2011, 07:36 PM
Dooooood, Thundarr like a mofo. One of my favorite all time cartoons.
Embedding was disabled on the video, but that opening will always be embedded in my brainpan.

EvilNed
13-Nov-2012, 10:05 PM
Just saw this,

boy what a disappointment. What a bore. It's not even that pretentious. Just boring. Nothing happens for 1h and 40 minutes, and the final 20 even less keeps happening.

rongravy
14-Nov-2012, 12:42 AM
I thought I already posted after seeing it way back when. I liked it, but I was semi bombed when I watched it. My kid was annoyed that I kept asking her over and over what she would do if another planet was coming to smash us to bits.
Yeah, it was slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww in parts, but it looked pretty dang sweeet on my big screen. It's streaming on Netflix, I think. I've been meaning to rewatch it, probably alone, since everyone else seems to think it's a snoozefest.

ProfessorChaos
14-Nov-2012, 04:08 AM
i watched this a while back, and it was okay, but kirsten dunst's character was incredibly unlikeable throughout, especially after what she did at the wedding reception....and none of the other characters were worth a crap either, come to think of it.

like others have said, pretty to look at (particularly when ms. dunst in laying around nude in the middle of the night), but awfully boring and almost instantly forgettable.

krisvds
14-Nov-2012, 06:05 PM
Just saw this,

boy what a disappointment. What a bore. It's not even that pretentious. Just boring. Nothing happens for 1h and 40 minutes, and the final 20 even less keeps happening.

While I can understand Von Trier's films not being to everyone's tastes this is just plain wrong. A lot is going on in this film; the two sisters and the way they deal with life, hope and depression IS the plot ... Again, not everyone will enjoy this, but to me not every film needs to be 'entertaining'...

EvilNed
15-Nov-2012, 07:29 AM
I'm aware that this film has received praise. It just wasn't my cup of tea. I didn't get anything out of this, not even a sense of depression or anxiety as I would from for instance Michael Haneke's films. I just got boredom.

First part of the film was the best, I guess. Before the planet entered the plot in a rather unspectacular way. I might have cared more about the sisters had Kirsten Dunsts character been likeable (as ProfessorC pointed out).

krisvds
16-Nov-2012, 04:05 AM
First part of the film was the best, I guess. Before the planet entered the plot in a rather unspectacular way. I might have cared more about the sisters had Kirsten Dunsts character been likeable (as ProfessorC pointed out).

Fair enough Ned. I've always been fond of European cinema in general and Danish in particular. Hence the Von Trier admiration. The new Vinterberg 'Jagten' is also very good and if you have ever seen and liked Festen definitely one to check out.

On the Kirsten Dunst character: I don't believe it was ever the intention to make her 'likeable'. People going through a depression like that never are. I have seen it first hand myself a couple of times with some close friends and must say her performance was pretty stellar. I enjoyed (so to speak) her performance and found the interaction with the diametrically opposed sister a fascinating watch. To each his own I suppose.

Out of curiosity: which Haneke filmd did you like? I'm quite partial to The White Ribbon myself. It's one of the best 'see how fascism is born' hate letters to religion I have ever seen...

EvilNed
16-Nov-2012, 07:07 AM
Favorite Haneke films would be: Funny Games and Time of the Wolf. Caché and Bennys Video were Ok as well, but not as brilliant. I Haven't seen the Pianist or the White Ribbon.

Purge
23-Nov-2012, 04:15 PM
i watched this a while back, and it was okay, but kirsten dunst's character was incredibly unlikeable throughout, especially after what she did at the wedding reception....and none of the other characters were worth a crap either, come to think of it.

Her character suffered from severe depression, and her mother and boss were both acting like *ssholes. It stood to reason.

Great atmosphere, photography and acting all around. Kirsten was close to being one of my favorite actresses, and seeing her in this sealed it.

ProfessorChaos
23-Nov-2012, 05:29 PM
^

not sure i buy that. what exactly was it that her boss or mother did that would drive her to fuck some random kid she just met on the day she just got married? seemed to me like her husband was understanding and accepting as to who she was, but she didn't have to go and do something like that. i think her character may have been much more likeable had she not done that.

krisvds
23-Nov-2012, 05:34 PM
^

not sure i buy that. what exactly was it that her boss or mother did that would drive her to fuck some random kid she just met on the day she just got married? seemed to me like her husband was understanding and accepting as to who she was, but she didn't have to go and do something like that. i think her character may have been much more likeable had she not done that.

You really haven't been around people suffering from severe depression have you? There really is no 'reason' to some of the things she does in the film. It's not as simple as that. She was suffering from mental instability before the film got started.

ProfessorChaos
23-Nov-2012, 05:41 PM
i've been around some people dealing with depression, but none of them i would call "severe". however, you'd think that with a family as wealthy as the one in the film, she'd have some resources as far as anti-depressants or something.

it also makes me kinda sick that people who seem to have so much can be so morose and depressed, perhaps that's something that irked me about her character. i mean, there's obviously lots of money in that family, she's gorgeous, has a well-paying job, etc.

MoonSylver
23-Nov-2012, 10:44 PM
Haven't seen the flick, but I can tell you that's one of the sucky things about severe depression: it has no reason. Also, even when treated with anti-depressents, you can still have episodes & or relapses. It doesn't get rid of it 100%, just makes it manageable or tolerable. Also, after awhile they will lose effectiveness & you'll either have to up the dosage or switch to a different one. :|