PDA

View Full Version : Beetlejuice 2?

bassman
06-Sep-2011, 06:54 PM
The idea has been tossed around since the first film's release, but now they've hired writers to actually begin working on a "reboot"/sequel (http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/beetlejuice-sequel-rises-from-the-dead).

Warner Bros. has just signed a first look feature producing deal with David Katzenberg and Seth Grahame-Smith. That may not mean anything to you, but the end result is likely this: We're getting another BEETLEJUICE movie.

The Deadline article is scant on details, but is adamant that one of two new projects the duo is working on will in fact be another BEETLEJUICE film. The word is that this will not be a "remake" but a " reboot by advancing the storyline of the original" or in other words, a "sequel." And here I've always thought a reboot was closer to a remake than a sequel.

A BEETLEJUICE sequel has been rumored since its release in 1988, but no one ever really thought that would ever happen. But here in 2011, Hollywood has been out of ideas for a while now, and it's time to sequelize everything mildly successful that never got the treatment.

I'm a big fan of the original so I would definitely give it a shot. My only real problem is that Tim Burton has lost his mind in recent years. If he were to return, would he bring in something as classic as the original or make another Alice in Wonderland?:dead:

Michael Keaton is also a must. If they try to re-cast Beetlejuice with Johnny Depp, i'm going to go on a killing spree. I don't have anything against Depp, but it just has to be Keaton. What's he doing these days, anyway?...

I guess the best part of this news as that the original may finally get the special edition treatment it deserves. What say yee?

JDFP
06-Sep-2011, 07:08 PM
Sequel? Absolutely yes. And if my future wife Winona Ryder is in it even better.

Reboot/Remake? No thanks. I'm done with 95% of remakes. Or at least paying money for them.

j.p.

kidgloves
06-Sep-2011, 07:38 PM
I rewatched Beetlejuice recently and i don't think its aged very well. Was kinda bored with it if im honest

bassman
06-Sep-2011, 07:48 PM
Bored with Beetlejuice? GTFO. :p

Someone posted this on another site. Looks like Keaton is already interested in revisiting the character:

S7et6-ZuTVg

MikePizzoff
06-Sep-2011, 10:33 PM
As long as Keaton, Davis, and Baldwin are on board, I'm all for it. Wouldn't be very bummed if Winona were left out.

DjfunkmasterG
06-Sep-2011, 11:53 PM
FOr me... No Keaton... No Dice.

Danny
06-Sep-2011, 11:55 PM
As long as Keaton, Davis, and Baldwin are on board, I'm all for it. Wouldn't be very bummed if Winona were left out.

not gonna lie, i though rider died of a drug overdose like ten years ago or something.

rongravy
07-Sep-2011, 12:28 AM
Baldwin would have to trim down quite a bit since they were dead in the original. Can't be aging ghosts, so I would be happy with Winona in it instead. Maybe a quick cameo from them, that's about it.
I say do it, but yeah, Keaton's gotta play the man. He could still pull it off.

ProfessorChaos
07-Sep-2011, 01:25 AM
If they try to re-cast Beetlejuice with Johnny Depp, i'm going to go on a killing spree.

http://www.ponychan.net/chan/collab/src/131432257566.gif

rongravy
07-Sep-2011, 02:36 AM
http://www.ponychan.net/chan/collab/src/131432257566.gif
I'm third on this. Give me the plan, I will be the 2nd wingman. If Depp is the new Beetlejuice, we know one of them is fucking the other, beyond believable reality.
Is this like the best Brit comedies?!?!?
Leave us hanging? Give us nothing more than a shard of it all, yet worse?!?!?
I'd like to think Keaton could easily do one more. After the original White Lines and Afterlife, he's made nothing but shit if at all. Come on, man. Make me proud of something other than Night Shift. Don't be another pre-Tom Hanks, you bastard.

bassman
07-Sep-2011, 12:01 PM
After the original White Lines and Afterlife, he's made nothing but shit if at all. Come on, man. Make me proud of something other than Night Shift. Don't be another pre-Tom Hanks, you bastard.

Although the movie itself was hit or miss, I thought his return to comedy in 'The Other Guys' was fantastic. Probably one of my favorite parts of that flick. "Now you're just quoting TLC." "Huh? I don't know what youre talkin about. Nope....not at all.":lol:

LouCipherr
07-Sep-2011, 01:19 PM
If they try to re-cast Beetlejuice with Johnny Depp, i'm going to go on a killing spree.

You know damn well if Burton is involved (no, not Jack Burton, Tim! :lol:) then this is going to happen if we want it or not. It seems he and Depp are twins attached at the hip at this point. Ugh....

blind2d
07-Sep-2011, 01:21 PM
Sidekicks was a good movie...
Yep, we'll see.
Remember when Jet Li made good movies? Like... a few years ago?

bassman
07-Sep-2011, 01:28 PM
You know damn well if Burton is involved (no, not Jack Burton, Tim! :lol:) then this is going to happen if we want it or not. It seems he and Depp are twins attached at the hip at this point. Ugh....

True, but don't forget that Keaton was Burton's original Depp. If that makes any sense. :lol:

So i'm hoping Burton may still have some gray matter in his noggin to remember that Keaton MADE that movie...

not gonna lie, i though rider died of a drug overdose like ten years ago or something.

With exception of playing Spock's mom, it was her career that died....

LouCipherr
07-Sep-2011, 01:46 PM
True, but don't forget that Keaton was Burton's original Depp. If that makes any sense. :lol:

True, but I don't remember him being as obsessive about Keaton as he is about Depp. Or maybe I'm just getting to old to remember.. :shifty:

:lol:

AcesandEights
07-Sep-2011, 02:08 PM
Even though Keaton could still handle this role, I hope the project dies a stillborn death. If not, I hope there's some damned good writing, directing and imagineering that goes into it.

The first is a very singular film and a standout in many respects, to me anyway...though it isn't something I revisit a lot, it definitely has an original and, I think, respectable flair.

Neil
14-Feb-2012, 12:17 PM
Little bit of an update here - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/53530

ShockTillYouDrop met up with author Seth Grahame-Smith, whose Tim Burton Produced ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER book-to-screen adaptation just got trailered (see it HERE), and talked to him about another project he's working on with Tim Burton.

Namely: a BEETLEJUICE sequel. Grahame-Smith describes his recent meeting with Michael Keaton, who we'd previously heard would (likely) reprise his 1988 Beetlejuice role in this new picture.

"We talked for a couple of hours and talked about big picture stuff. It's a priority for Warner Bros. It's a priority for Tim."

Grahame-Smith describes Keaton's interest as...

"Huge," the writer added, "he's been wanting to do it for 20 years and he'll talk to anybody about it who will listen."

There's more insight about Grahame-Smith's meeting with Keaton HERE, as well as some sense of the author's reverence for the original source material.

bassman
14-Feb-2012, 12:26 PM
Whoa! Sounds like this thing may actually happen. Kinda hard to believe.

As with any sequel decades after the original, it has the potential to be a major bomb(especially with Burton's recent track record), but the thought of Keaton back in that suit has me very interested. Even if the movie itself is bad, just seeing Keaton play the character again will be worth the price of admission.

rongravy
14-Feb-2012, 08:18 PM
As with any sequel decades after the original, it has the potential to be a major bomb(especially with Burton's recent track record), but the thought of Keaton back in that suit has me very interested. Even if the movie itself is bad, just seeing Keaton play the character again will be worth the price of admission.

Keaton in it will definitely keep it from failing. They'd have to get someone like whoever wrote Dumb and Dumberer to make something this awesome eat poo.
Otherwise, I don't see how it could be anything but kickass.

bassman
28-Sep-2012, 03:19 PM
While doing his rounds with the press for Frankenweenie, Burton is being asked about Beetlejuice 2:

"Right now, the writer is writing something and I have no idae when it's coming. I didn't give him too much direction because I want to try to not have a lot of preconceived ideas about it. Sometimes you want to be surprised, but I love the character and if it's a good script, then great. But there's no point really for me thinking about it until I see it."

I like the idea of Burton just waiting to see the script with limited input. He can add his little touches later, but a fresh persepctive to kick it off sounds like a good plan. It worked for the original, anyway.

Winona Ryder and Catherine Ohara are also doing press for Frankenweenie and they both say they're interested in returning. I'm wondering if Baldwin and Davis will be back. Baldwin is pretty big these days with 30 Rock and whatnot...