PDA

View Full Version : zombies on netflix

Mike70
07-Sep-2011, 05:57 PM
ok. i always knew there were a lot of zombie films out there but until i started using netflix, i don't think that the enormity of the genre struck home. there are so many zombie flicks out there now (97.8% of them total shit) that i wonder if there is anyone with a fricking video camera that hasn't shot one.

i've developed a simple system for immediately weeding out the chaff:

1. any film that is shot on either a hand held camera (something i despise in all movies) or looks like it was shot on a camera that i can get at Best Buy is nuked immediately.

2. any film that appears to star the director and his college pals gets nuked immediately.

3. any film with zombie "makeup" that equates to an 8 year old's halloween party gets nuked immediately.

in short, all i ask for is a proper movie - shot in the usual manner of films and has professionals in it using professional equipment.

bassman
07-Sep-2011, 06:13 PM
Yeah, I don't think i've ever seen a good zombie film on instant netflix. But as you say, and I would raise the number, 99% of the genre is pure crap.

And yes....anyone with a camera HAS made a zombie film. :p

Mike70
07-Sep-2011, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I don't think i've ever seen a good zombie film on instant netflix. But as you say, and I would raise the number, 99% of the genre is pure crap.

And yes....anyone with a camera HAS made a zombie film. :p

i think it might have been a lovely little flick called "Retardead" that brought home to me just how low this genre has sunk. the titanic is in shallower water for fuck's sake.

Ragnarr
07-Sep-2011, 11:42 PM
An old standby that usually works for me to predetermine if a movie is going to blow is if the director & cast have italian sounding names or hispanic sounding names. Not for nothing, but we're talking almost consistantly bad directing and/or acting here. I might have to change that filter for one Italian made movie I had seen the trailer for. Damn if I can remember the name of the zombie flick, but it looked half decent.

bassman
08-Sep-2011, 12:00 PM
An old standby that usually works for me to predetermine if a movie is going to blow is if the director & cast have italian sounding names or hispanic sounding names.

Fulci springs to mind. I'm not sure if his films are on instant netflix but man....the few i've seen are BAD. I don't see how some people can compare them to Romero's trilogy. Day, at least...

Mike70
08-Sep-2011, 03:19 PM
Fulci springs to mind. I'm not sure if his films are on instant netflix but man....the few i've seen are BAD. I don't see how some people can compare them to Romero's trilogy. Day, at least...

the only one of fulci's pieces of garbage i've seen on netflix is "new york ripper." i wouldn't waste 15 seconds on any of the dude's "movies."

ragnarr is on to something though. outside of mario bava and argento, most italian horror is quite terrible.

btw ragnarr - Captain Avatar as an avatar. awesome.

GRMonLI
08-Sep-2011, 05:39 PM
I liked "HORDE" on Instant Watch...a zombie film from France.

Mike70
11-Sep-2011, 06:03 PM
I liked "HORDE" on Instant Watch...a zombie film from France.

"the horde" is a damn decent little flick. i enjoyed that quite a bit. there seem to be quite a few folks on the board that like "the horde."

anyone who hasn't taken the time to see it, should really put it up at the top of their netfilxs queue. you probably won't be disappointed.

don't get me wrong - there are some good recent zombie flicks out there. they are just extremely few and far between.

as an add on: i liked the premise of "colin" but not the way it was filmed. it kind of ruined the movie a bit for me.

bd2999
12-Sep-2011, 04:16 PM
I agree with your groupings. My main issue is for the most part many of the zombie movies are very current. There are a few exceptions, I think Return of the Living Dead might have been watch instant but do not remember and maybe a few others, but for the most part they are pretty much what you describe.

Some of the people making these things really are fans of the genre. Problem is that they are fans but they are also some of the ones killing it. The movies have stories that pretty much do not exist, horrible acting and usually insane amounts of gore that runs the gauntlet from pretty good to horrible and is probably only there to try and mask the fact that there is no story or acting in the movie.

In general there is alot of bad stuff out there. In the horror genre in general. But since zombies have been hot recently it makes sense that they would get a ton of folks dipping their hands in. I mean in theory if you think about what a zombie movie is and what you need to make one it really is the poor mans monster in most ways. The problem is that people just seem to not grasp what made the better ones in the series effective. A low budget movie is not bad because it is low budget. Heck some of the best zombie films have had low budgets, but the people in charge got the most out of everything and actually told a story with it. Just making a zombie movie to make a zombie movie has the expected results of making a bad movie,

Trin
12-Sep-2011, 04:36 PM
I liked Ninjas vs. Zombies and I think it fails at least 2 of the 3 tests above.

Mike70
12-Sep-2011, 04:58 PM
I liked Ninjas vs. Zombies and I think it fails at least 2 of the 3 tests above.

i have been SOOOOO tempted to watch this based solely on the title alone. i haven't yet, but i am leaning towards a "why the fuck not" viewing of it.

MikePizzoff
12-Sep-2011, 05:31 PM
There ARE a shload of zombie flicks on Netflix and just about all of them DO look like complete garbage.

I know it's been brought up on the boards before, but I recently watched Deadgirl and dug it. I wasn't into it for the first 10 minutes, just because of how the characters were acting like idiots, but after that I thought it got pretty good.

Mike70
12-Sep-2011, 06:11 PM
I know it's been brought up on the boards before, but I recently watched Deadgirl and dug it. I wasn't into it for the first 10 minutes, just because of how the characters were acting like idiots, but after that I thought it got pretty good.

i attempted to watch "deadgirl" but didn't make it through it. the whole premise of that film sickens me.

DOTD80
12-Sep-2011, 08:43 PM
If you don't mind subtitles, Mutants is on netflix instant watch and was pretty decent.

clanglee
12-Sep-2011, 08:57 PM
If you don't mind subtitles, Mutants is on netflix instant watch and was pretty decent.

I second this. It's a bit dry. . but there are some great moments.

Mike70
12-Sep-2011, 11:04 PM
I second this. It's a bit dry. . but there are some great moments.

don't mind subtitles at all but what do you mean about it being dry?

clanglee
12-Sep-2011, 11:32 PM
don't mind subtitles at all but what do you mean about it being dry?

The story was really about this couple, their love and concern for each other. He gets infected and she has to deal with protecting him and herself etc etc.

I liked the movie. . it's definitely worth a watch. But it has that sad and lonely frenchy vibe to it if you know what I mean. . .A little artsy fartsy. . .but not in an entirely bad way.

Mike70
12-Sep-2011, 11:34 PM
The story was really about this couple, their love and concern for each other. He gets infected and she has to deal with protecting him and herself etc etc.

I liked the movie. . it's definitely worth a watch. But it has that sad and lonely frenchy vibe to it if you know what I mean. . .A little artsy fartsy. . .but not in an entirely bad way.

i like artsy movies (think bergman mostly) but a stories about couples and their love and concern for each other leave me either:
a. bored to death
b. turning something else on

clanglee
12-Sep-2011, 11:57 PM
i like artsy movies (think bergman mostly) but a stories about couples and their love and concern for each other leave me either:
a. bored to death
b. turning something else on

That's not all this movie is of course. . .it's just the core motivator. I think you'll like it Mike. . . or at the least. . . you wont hate it. And the movie is in no way as artsy as Bergman dude. . . the only Zombie movie I can think of with that level of Artsy Fartiness is Cemetary Man.

Mike70
13-Sep-2011, 01:42 AM
That's not all this movie is of course. . .it's just the core motivator. I think you'll like it Mike. . . or at the least. . . you wont hate it. And the movie is in no way as artsy as Bergman dude. . . the only Zombie movie I can think of with that level of Artsy Fartiness is Cemetary Man.

cemetary man is a pretty cool flick.

ok. you've convinced me. on clang's recommendation, "Mutants" will be next up on netflix.

Blogoftheliving
03-Dec-2012, 05:32 PM
Hi. Blog of the Living Dead here. We have managed to maintain the Google #1 position for Zombie Netflix movie listing in the entire world (even above Netflix itself). Google zombies Netflix, or Netflix zombies, or Best Zombie Netflix, etc etc. Go to: http://www.blogofthelivingdead.com/2011/01/best-of-netflix-instant-zombie-flicks.html
or Go to the top result when you Google zombies and Netflix.

Listing has ratings for all the movies, as well as descriptions and trivia.

Cheers! Help us keep it at number one. Any input regarding movies is always welcome!

JonOfTheShred
08-Dec-2012, 10:33 AM
Hi. Blog of the Living Dead here. We have managed to maintain the Google #1 position for Zombie Netflix movie listing in the entire world (even above Netflix itself). Google zombies Netflix, or Netflix zombies, or Best Zombie Netflix, etc etc. Go to: http://www.blogofthelivingdead.com/2011/01/best-of-netflix-instant-zombie-flicks.html
or Go to the top result when you Google zombies and Netflix.

Listing has ratings for all the movies, as well as descriptions and trivia.

Cheers! Help us keep it at number one. Any input regarding movies is always welcome!

Promote the link in my signature on your blog bro. DO IT. ;)

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001679761/139399441_tumblr_lg69hpqUri1qgeavro1_400_xlarge.gi f
Welcome to home page of the dead, homepage of the dead, can I take your order?