PDA

View Full Version : The Raid (film) - Wow!

Neil
10-Sep-2011, 11:46 AM
Looks like some pretty intense action in there!

uWlmhMSnVdM

Neil
28-Jan-2012, 09:06 PM
AICN loved it - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/53067

Neil
13-Mar-2012, 10:49 AM
More AICN love - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54212

One Of The Greatest Action Movies Ever Made!

Knighty
13-Mar-2012, 02:00 PM
Everyone I know who's seen it has said it lives up to the hype, can't wait!

MinionZombie
13-Mar-2012, 06:33 PM
Looks like some pretty intense action in there!

uWlmhMSnVdM

So it's a romantic comedy then? :p

Looks like some decent action - as long as they don't over-do the talky bits (which can sometimes bring great action to a grinding halt if the plot isn't strong enough to support such scenes), and they shoot for an efficient running time, then it could be a good bit of fun. Ideal bloke's night in fodder for sure. I'll keep an eye out for it. :)

Neil
22-May-2012, 08:09 PM
Saw this tonight, and not very impressed. Pretty well shot, with a bit too much shakey cam for my liking though. However, the story was just a bit to predictable and bland, and the fights we just far too over the top, with some of them just going on, and on, and on, and on. So too much contrived, daft fighting unfortunately made this a painful watch for me!

It even suffers from the usual predicable 'bad guy behaviour' of them using guns, then suddendly all reverting to blades or fists, to give the good guys a chance?! Also, every bad guy they come across is a f***ing martial arts expert... Over... And over.. And over... If I had to sum it up in one work, it would be, "soulless!"

MinionZombie
23-May-2012, 09:58 AM
Wasn't that the point in The Raid though? For it to be a balls-out action fest filled with guns, martial arts, and fighting?

Starting to get flashbacks of the time you complained that "Wanted" - a film by Timur Bekmabethov - was 'unrealistic'. :p

Neil
23-May-2012, 12:21 PM
Wasn't that the point in The Raid though? For it to be a balls-out action fest filled with guns, martial arts, and fighting?
But it's daft just too often.

Had they reigned it in, it would have been all the better for it. Some of the fights go on for soooo long, and the guys take such punishment, I actually heard some people groaning, and I was one of them by the end. It was just daft, plain and simple! And the fact seemingly every f***ing person in the building is an MMA expert gets tiresome too!

Now, there's a couple of nice fights & scenes, and some incredibly gruesome deaths, but ultimately it all feels so staged and over the top, it loses all believability and credibility, and just gets tiresome.

I was hoping for Die Hard with martial arts, but all we got was over the top martial arts, and none of the soul, story and intelligence needed to make the experience ultimately worthwhile.

For me, something like Ong Bak is a much more enjoyable watch for example. Less action of course, but what there is, amounts to more IMHO!

I would say on the positive side, the camera work is generally very good, but with a bit too much shakey cam. And as I mentioned some of the fight scenes are good. The actor for the head bad dude did a very good job. Also if you're into pumping techno scores... You'll enjoy it.

So go along expecting nothing more than never ending fights between people able to take a never ending beating, and you'll leave happy! Chances are I'll watch it again on bluray and enjoy it more second time around knowing what to expect.

MoonSylver
23-May-2012, 10:46 PM

Starting to get flashbacks of the time you complained that "Wanted" - a film by Timur Bekmabethov - was 'unrealistic'. :p

Forget it MZ...

http://www.playdar.co.uk/media/indiana-jones-kingdom-of-the-crystal-skull-fridge.jpg

...some arguments are lost before they start. :lol:

http://geektyrant.com/storage/0999-post-images/nukingfridge4122012.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION =1334247809147

:hyper: :nana: