PDA

View Full Version : Syndicate reboot (video game)

Neil
12-Sep-2011, 12:21 PM
Wasn't the original an isometric strategy game? Wasn't that part of why it was successful?

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/62094/Syndicate-Reboot-To-Be-A-FPS-Here-We-Go-Again-XCOM-2-0

-IOga7pFkKY

shootemindehead
12-Sep-2011, 01:43 PM
Yes and yes.

Making this an FPS will destroy the whole idea. This is a "God" game first and foremost. Your supposed to build up your syndicate into the most powerful. This is like making 'Napoleon: Total War' into an FPS.

Pity Bullfrog are no more. They were great at putting out games like this. Used to do a bit of testing for them back in the 90's.

Neil
12-Sep-2011, 03:09 PM
Yes and yes.

Making this an FPS will destroy the whole idea. This is a "God" game first and foremost. Your supposed to build up your syndicate into the most powerful. This is like making 'Napoleon: Total War' into an FPS.

Pity Bullfrog are no more. They were great at putting out games like this. Used to do a bit of testing for them back in the 90's.
As a FPS it's a totally different concept!? Shame!

Eyebiter
12-Sep-2011, 04:45 PM
They did the same thing to the Fallout and X-Com franchises.

shootemindehead
13-Sep-2011, 09:28 AM
At least Fallout worked as an first person adventure game though.

Neil
13-Sep-2011, 12:34 PM
Screen shots - http://www.actiontrip.com/screenshots/ps3/syndicate.phtml

http://www.cdn.actiontrip.com/images/features/ps3/syndicate2.jpg

Tricky
14-Sep-2011, 03:16 PM
Wouldnt an FPS of Syndicate just be Deus Ex? :confused:
I loved the original game though, I first played it on a friends Amiga & then got it on my Atari Jaguar, spent a long time on it! I liked how you could upgrade your cyborgs & use cool weapons like the Gauss gun & laser, Syndicate Wars was good as well, I've still got that on my PS1 & play it from time to time.

krakenslayer
20-Sep-2011, 10:52 PM
At least Fallout worked as an first person adventure game though.

To be fair, we don't know that this won't.

I might be, for example, an RTS where you can deploy units and then move in and actually play as one of them. Or it might simply place you within the same world as the RTS. World of Warcraft did something similar and now WoW is more popular and better regarded than the series from which it came.

EvilNed
20-Sep-2011, 11:00 PM
I hope they keep the squad-management stuff and getting to invest in your syndicate. As for it being a FPS, I don't mind really. Just keep it gritty and cyberpunkish. And the squad gameplay.

shootemindehead
21-Sep-2011, 07:57 AM

I might be, for example, an RTS where you can deploy units and then move in and actually play as one of them. Or it might simply place you within the same world as the RTS. World of Warcraft did something similar and now WoW is more popular and better regarded than the series from which it came.

Aye, that's true. But, the concept for the two games are very different. I think Fallout lent itself to an FPS/advernture type setting. Syndicate was essentially a management game.

Although, it might still work. Who knows.

What would have been great though is if they'd just remade the same game, with todays graphic standards.

Neil
21-Sep-2011, 08:46 AM

Yes, if you have very good AI units you can control and give commands to while pausing the game for example, it might sort of capture some of the elements of the original. So there is still some hope!

Neil
07-Nov-2011, 01:05 PM
Is there some hope?

XGhh4lBBAvM

Neil
16-Nov-2011, 12:31 PM
More co-op footage:-

FCFclriQtBU

Neil
04-Jan-2012, 09:56 AM
More footage from this game that's called itself Syndicate, although it's nothing like Syndicate?

GWI53Q5Uwbk

EvilNed
04-Jan-2012, 11:26 AM
Why all the hate, Neil? I think it looks cool and apart from the fact that it's FPS it seems like it's rooted in the Syndicate universe.

Neil
01-Feb-2012, 08:08 AM
Demo (Xbox & PS3) out - http://www.ea.com/syndicate/1/demo

Thoughts?

EvilNed
01-Feb-2012, 10:01 PM
No PC?

Eyebiter
01-Feb-2012, 10:43 PM
The original Syndicate will be on GOG.com (Good old games) this Thursday

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/syndicate

Neil
02-Feb-2012, 08:48 AM
No PC?
Later this month I think!?

CoinReturn
02-Feb-2012, 12:00 PM
After playing the demo for a couple days, I'm pretty damn impressed.

To me, it feels like a slower, more methodical Left 4 Dead with a hell of a lot more upgrade options. Even after tackling the same level a dozen times or more, it's still a challenge each runthrough, which is probably my favorite aspect. The weapons feel meaty and powerful, and apparently Starbreeze is using the same sound design as heard in Battlefield 3.

My main gripe is that I don't think many players realize that healing your teammates is the key to victory, as I've been in a down-but-not-out state while my squad ignore me more than a handful of times.

I had no interest or any real knowledge of this game before the demo, but it's now on my must-buy list. I'd figured it was going to be another by the numbers shooter. Highly recommended if you're looking for a FPS with a few cool twists.

Neil
02-Feb-2012, 12:14 PM
After playing the demo for a couple days, I'm pretty damn impressed.

To me, it feels like a slower, more methodical Left 4 Dead with a hell of a lot more upgrade options. Even after tackling the same level a dozen times or more, it's still a challenge each runthrough, which is probably my favorite aspect. The weapons feel meaty and powerful, and apparently Starbreeze is using the same sound design as heard in Battlefield 3.

My main gripe is that I don't think many players realize that healing your teammates is the key to victory, as I've been in a down-but-not-out state while my squad ignore me more than a handful of times.

I had no interest or any real knowledge of this game before the demo, but it's now on my must-buy list. I'd figured it was going to be another by the numbers shooter. Highly recommended if you're looking for a FPS with a few cool twists.

So the basic gameplay is 4 people vs an AI controlled level? Like campaign mode in Left 4 Dead?

CoinReturn
02-Feb-2012, 12:21 PM
Yeah, at least from the level I played. I think there is a singleplayer campaign, too.

There are a few miniboss-like sergeants sprinkled throughout the level, which have extra shields and pursue you and your team more aggressively. At the end of the stage you have to beat a guy equipped with a minigun. What makes it fun though is trying to distract him while your team hacks his shields, or vice versa. Makes for some very dynamic, challenging gameplay.

Neil
21-Feb-2012, 10:56 AM
Reviews seem to suggest mediocre - http://www.destructoid.com/review-syndicate-222216.phtml

CoinReturn
21-Feb-2012, 05:27 PM
It's sitting at 75 on metacritic, isn't that generally considered good?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/syndicate/critic-reviews

Giant Bomb even gave it a 5/5.