PDA

View Full Version : Took my first flying lesson.. any aspiring pilots on HPotD?

LouCipherr
19-Sep-2011, 03:01 PM
Well, on September 3rd, I took my first flying lesson. Yeah, that's right, you heard correctly: the skies are no longer safe with Lou behind the yolk! :lol:

Long story short (if that's even possible for me): My wife knows about my flying obsession. I have a few radio controlled planes and have always been obsessed with flying, so for my birthday last March, my wife decides to get me a gift certificate for a 1 hour introductory flight lesson. On Sept. 3rd, I went up in the sky in this:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/1984CessnaC-172P.jpg

It was a 1984 Cessna C-172P Skyhawk... and before you go "omg, it's a plane from 1984?!" Yes, planes aren't like cars. Planes have their motors rebuilt every couple of years and go though rigorous inspections, so a 1984 plane is a whole different beast than a 1984 car - a plane from 1984 isn't exactly considered an antique! :D

The most amazing thing about this flight was the fact that the instructor made me do EVERYTHING with the exception of landing the plane. Here we are at the end of the runway, getting ready to take off, and the conversation goes like this:

Instructor: When I tell you, give it full throttle.
Me: Ok.
Instructor: Full throttle, go.
Me: <puts plane at full throttle, plane begins to cruise down the runway>
Instructor: Ok, see that treeline up ahead? We should be up to speed at that point (72mph) to take off. Pull back on the yolk when you get there, easy does it.
Me: Wait, you want me to pull back and take the plane off?
Instructor: Yup.

:eek:

I considered this a "introductory" flight, I had no idea the guy was going to make me do everything! :lol:

So we take off, everything went very smoothly as I already understood the concept of flying because of my radio controlled planes. The control surfaces on the RC planes are the same on a real plane (Elevator, Ailerons, Rudder, Throttle), but it's just a completely different perspective when you're in the pilots seat! The only trouble I had was remembering all the instruments on the instrument panel. I knew what they were all for, but I didn't have the panel memorized so sometimes I'd have to look around a bit to find something. No biggie, I got used to it quick.

We stayed around 1500-3000ft and flew over the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland a few times (the airport was around 20 miles away from it). A TOTAL BLAST! Talk about a thrill ride! Rollercoasters ain't got shit on a single prop Cessna cruising at 2000ft and at around 120mph! :lol:

Once back on the ground, I discussed getting my license with the instructor. Unfortunately, I don't have the time (takes about 70 hours total of on-the-ground instruction/classes, solo flights and flights with an instructor) nor the money (about $8000-9000 to get a license just to fly the single-prop planes), but if I did I'd probably go for it.

So anyone here ever flown a plane or have their pilots license? By far one of the most fun experiences I've ever had! :D

Tricky
19-Sep-2011, 03:17 PM
I've never flown a plane myself but would like to at some point! I did however leap out of a Russian built Let-410 at 15,500ft a couple of years ago which was the best experience of my life, I was rattling with adrenaline for at least a fortnight afterwards and as soon as I have the cash spare I'll be doing it again! :cool:

kidgloves
19-Sep-2011, 03:20 PM
Thats awesome Lou. Im ridiculously jealous.
I don't think thats something i could do. Im scared of heights and the thought of being in control of my fate up in the air scares the shit out of me. Mind you, that phobia of heights didn't stop me jumping out of a plane on my 18th birthday before i'd even taken a normal commercial flight. I have no problem flying now cause i've done it so much but the take off and landing part still bothers me a little.
Shame you can't afford to continue it. Maybe buy yourself a Lear jet if you hit the lottery eh?

bassman
19-Sep-2011, 03:29 PM
Very cool. I once had the EXACT same thing happen when I was flying in a similar plane. A few friends and myself were going to a local airfield for a flight around town. At this point I had never flown in any kind of plane, so I didn't give a damn about the front seat. My buddies argued over the front seat for what felt like hours leading up to the flight, so the pilot made us draw straws. As luck would have it, I got the front seat when I didn't even really want it.

We get on the runway, he has me announce the number of the plane and runway to the tower, hits the throttle, then tells me to gently pull it back and take us off. I was about 9-11 years old at the time and had never left the ground in any sort of plane. It was probably the most frightening, yet exhilerating experience of my life. My first time in a plane and I was getting to control it at that early of an age. I've wanted to do it again ever since, but haven't got around to it. Unfortunately the local pilot that took us up was killed in a plane crash a few years later...

LouCipherr
19-Sep-2011, 03:31 PM
I've never flown a plane myself but would like to at some point! I did however leap out of a Russian built Let-410 at 15,500ft a couple of years ago which was the best experience of my life, I was rattling with adrenaline for at least a fortnight afterwards and as soon as I have the cash spare I'll be doing it again! :cool:

OMG, now see, I feel it's much easier to fly a plane than jump out of one - THAT is insane to me, even though parachuting is one of the items on my bucket list! :D

Thats awesome Lou. Im ridiculously jealous.
I don't think thats something i could do. Im scared of heights and the thought of being in control of my fate up in the air scares the shit out of me. Mind you, that phobia of heights didn't stop me jumping out of a plane on my 18th birthday before i'd even taken a normal commercial flight. I have no problem flying now cause i've done it so much but the take off and landing part still bothers me a little.
Shame you can't afford to continue it. Maybe buy yourself a Lear jet if you hit the lottery eh?

Man, I was nervous as hell when I first got there, but I kept telling myself "dude, it's EXACTLY the same as flying your RC planes" - problem is, I wreck some of my Radio Controlled planes (when I'm flying it like a nut :lol: and I knew not to do that in a plane I'm actually inside of!) so that didn't help. Once we got inside, my instructor was very business-like. He wasn't messing around - and I thank him for that! He was straight-forward, and really put me at ease except for the whole "you are the one who's going to take the plane off the runway" thing! :lol:

The takeoffs don't bother me, it's the landings that bug me. Even with my RC planes and my flight simulators (which I mess with a lot), landings are something I just cannot grasp for some reason. I'm glad my instructor took over for that or I'd be a grease spot on the runway!

If I had my chance, I'd buy something like this Cessna C-172 or a Aeronca Champ. I have the Champ as an RC plane, and it's just a beautiful flying aircraft. I like the Piper Cub's, too, but the Champ has it beat by miles in comfort and ease of flying. Plus, the Champ is a tail-dragger, which means it'd make an excellent bush plane (ie: you can land it just about anywhere.. check out "Flying Wild Alaska" when it comes back on Discovery - those pilots land on mountain tops and valleys that just aren't made for planes! they're nuts!).

It was a great experience - something everyone should do at least once if you're even remotely interested in flying. It only cost $200 for my 1 hour lesson, and that basically covers the plane rental ($131/hr) and the instructor ($50/hr) plus a bit for gas. :D

I was about 9-11 years old at the time and had never left the ground in any sort of plane. It was probably the most frightening, yet exhilerating experience of my life. My first time in a plane and I was getting to control it at that early of an age. I've wanted to do it again ever since, but haven't got around to it.

Awesome! That's how it was for me too. I almost said, "You want me to do what? Don't you value your life?!" :lol:

While I doubt I'll get my license, I would do another one of these "introductory flights" again in a heartbeat

AcesandEights
19-Sep-2011, 04:00 PM
Well, on September 3rd, I took my first flying lesson.

You're one of my favorite people (on the internet :p), Lou...so when the shit hits the fan, please whisk me away to safety in your winged chariot.

Trin
19-Sep-2011, 05:45 PM
I took lessons in college. I didn't get my license cause school was too much by itself for me to add on all the extra studying (and I was at my height of lazy at the time). But I got to the point that I was doing all the take-offs and landings on my own. It was quite remarkable to fly the plane.

I've always wanted to get back to it as well. At this point, what would I do with it though? It's not like I need it for transportation. Or like I'd quit my job and fly as a career. It's quite expensive as a hobby.

shootemindehead
19-Sep-2011, 06:27 PM
The most amazing thing about this flight was the fact that the instructor made me do EVERYTHING with the exception of landing the plane.

Cos, that's the hard part. Well, after flying in formation. But, when you're alone you don't need to worry about that.

LouCipherr
19-Sep-2011, 06:51 PM
You're one of my favorite people (on the internet :p), Lou...so when the shit hits the fan, please whisk me away to safety in your winged chariot.

I would gladly do so, Aces, but I have no plane to my name! lol That being said, if I could find one to steal I'd have no problems getting it up and running and off the ground - but you're taking your life into your own hands flying with me, 'cause landing the thing is still and issue for me. :D

I took lessons in college. I didn't get my license cause school was too much by itself for me to add on all the extra studying (and I was at my height of lazy at the time). But I got to the point that I was doing all the take-offs and landings on my own. It was quite remarkable to fly the plane.

I've always wanted to get back to it as well. At this point, what would I do with it though? It's not like I need it for transportation. Or like I'd quit my job and fly as a career. It's quite expensive as a hobby.

That's a good question. If I owned a plane, it would be different... but to start, I'd have to rent a plane - for $131/hr? Ho-ly shit. That makes weekend getaways impossible 'cause imagine the price - 24 hrs * $131/hr = $3,144 PER DAY! :stunned: No thanks! :lol:

Cos, that's the hard part.

Yeah, landing does seem to be a bit of a 'precise' operation - then again, the instructor with me had me fly parallel to the runway/tarmac, then had us do a 180 turn a very short distance out. We lined up with the runway and were back on the ground before I could think "so, how do we do this 'landing' thing again?" :lol:

Oh, before we left the ground, i asked the instructor how much gas this beast sucks up while flying. His answer? "about 8 gallons per hour"

I'm not sure if that's good or not, considering airplane fuel when I was at the airport was about $6/gal for those single prop planes. That's $48/hr in gas. Geez, and I thought having to put 92 octane in my car was expensive! :lol:

AcesandEights
19-Sep-2011, 06:56 PM
I would gladly do so, Aces, but I have no plane to my name!

I suspected that could be a hiccup we'd have to deal with, so in the event you need to save me you have my permission to shoot someone in the face and steal their plane. I'll never tell.

LouCipherr
19-Sep-2011, 06:59 PM
I suspected that could be a hiccup we'd have to deal with, so in the event you need to save me you have my permission to shoot someone in the face and steal their plane. I'll never tell.

I'll keep that in mind. :shifty:

:D

Tricky
19-Sep-2011, 07:46 PM
OtmoYRfOKvg

Just uploaded the video of my jump to youtube, enjoy! Bear in mind I hadnt slept a wink the night before so I look a bit rough & was in a slight daze, and check out the fear on my face as we make our way to the door, once we left the plane I loved it though! :lol:

shootemindehead
19-Sep-2011, 08:51 PM
Pity you had to listen to that shite music on the way down though Tricky. I'd have said "Slayer, or I'm not leaving the plane."

Just joking. Looks fun, but I'm with Lou on this one. Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane...madness.

Tricky
19-Sep-2011, 09:28 PM
ha ha I didnt get to pick the music, the skydive centre added it to the video after the jump!
I thought it was madness before I did it, but found it to be one of the best experiences I've ever had, and I couldnt have felt safer or in better hands! :D

rongravy
20-Sep-2011, 12:01 AM
ha ha I didnt get to pick the music, the skydive centre added it to the video after the jump!
I thought it was madness before I did it, but found it to be one of the best experiences I've ever had, and I couldnt have felt safer or in better hands! :D
That's funny, I was kinda laughing to myself about the music when my daughter popped her head out the room to say, "Dad, that's Justice." or something like that.
Anyhoo, I'd have a deathgrip on those doors. No way I'd be going out them without a fight.
Deathly afraid, but would still like to balls out on it once before I die.
I'll need alcohol, loads of it, and a diaper.

LouCipherr
21-Sep-2011, 01:07 PM
OtmoYRfOKvg

Just uploaded the video of my jump to youtube, enjoy! Bear in mind I hadnt slept a wink the night before so I look a bit rough & was in a slight daze, and check out the fear on my face as we make our way to the door, once we left the plane I loved it though! :lol:

You, my friend, have balls of steel! I was willing to take the plane up in the air, but you are nuts enough to not only take the plane up in the air but to jump out of the fucker! :eek: I think I would've shit my pants before we even got out the plane door. :lol:

Looks fun, but I'm with Lou on this one. Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane...madness.

^ this x 100. Once you get me up in the air in a plane, I'll be goddamned if I'm jumping out of it! :lol:

I say all this, but I really do want to parachute at least once - I just don't know if I could make it out the door once we're up there. Of course, I'm sure the instructor would just throw me out, but still, it would be hard to take that first step.

Tricky
21-Sep-2011, 06:21 PM
I say all this, but I really do want to parachute at least once - I just don't know if I could make it out the door once we're up there. Of course, I'm sure the instructor would just throw me out, but still, it would be hard to take that first step.

:lol: cheers dude! I didnt feel like I had balls of steel before the jump, I very nearly backed out, but it really was one of the best things I've ever done, the freefall was amazing and it was the biggest rush I've had in my life! (and I used to do drugs :p)
Yeah I just resigned myself to the fact I was going out of that door so I didnt fight it, but my stomach was in knots!

LouCipherr
21-Sep-2011, 07:43 PM
:lol: cheers dude! I didnt feel like I had balls of steel before the jump, I very nearly backed out, but it really was one of the best things I've ever done, the freefall was amazing and it was the biggest rush I've had in my life! (and I used to do drugs :p)

Doesn't matter, dude - even if you passed out on the way down, you still did something I'm not so sure my nerves would allow me to do, and I think most people would say the same. I think my entire body would just shut down and say, "jumping out of a plane? at this height? are you OUT OF YOUR DAMN MIND?!" then <bam> I'd pass out, but not prior to shitting my pants. :lol:

Yeah I just resigned myself to the fact I was going out of that door so I didnt fight it, but my stomach was in knots!

I can only imagine. I was a bit worked up before we got into the plane but once we got in there and my instructor started taking everything so seriously, I was more worried about following his instructions properly (and not looking like an ass) than nervous.

I think the only time I got really nervous was before we got in the plane and when he said for me to pull back on the yolk while we're crusing down the runway to take the plane off the ground. Once we were up there for about 30 seconds or so, I calmed down and my intense concentration kinda pushed the nervousness to the back of my mind. I guess knowing how planes work and flying the radio controlled planes helped a lot. I 'felt' like I knew what I was doing up there, although I'm sure there's a ton of shit I don't know, but I actually felt confident that I could keep that plane up in the air and not diving into the ground and killing us both. :lol:

Jumping out of it, however, is a whole other ball of wax - my mind reels that the thought of the idea. :eek:

Still want to do it one day though! I know, I'm a glutton for punishment. :D

Here's a picture of the instrument panel in the plane I flew - it's kinda intimidating at first, but once you know what each instrument does, you realize you only really concentrate on 4-5 of them instead of all at once:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/172Pcontrolpanel.jpg

Tricky
21-Sep-2011, 11:03 PM
I tell you what though dude, if you think I was crazy for doing a jump, check out this lunatic, just watching that video makes my bowels turn to liquid!
lDBrdl2sZWs
:eek:

Mr. Clean
22-Sep-2011, 12:01 AM
It was a 1984 Cessna C-172P Skyhawk... and before you go "omg, it's a plane from 1984?!" Yes, planes aren't like cars. Planes have their motors rebuilt every couple of years and go though rigorous inspections, so a 1984 plane is a whole different beast than a 1984 car - a plane from 1984 isn't exactly considered an antique! :D

LOL This made me laugh...Glad I am almost out of the aircraft maintenance business...

Tell me something....do RC planes require as much maintenance as real ones?

LouCipherr
22-Sep-2011, 02:18 PM
LOL This made me laugh...Glad I am almost out of the aircraft maintenance business...

Tell me something....do RC planes require as much maintenance as real ones?

Why does it make you laugh? While I don't know that much about aircraft maintenance, I do know that there's a hell of a rigorous schedule they have to maintain to keep those planes in the air. Perhaps it's not as rigorous as I thought...?? If so, that worries me! :lol:

As far as the RC planes - nah, not even close.. I mean, it sorta depends. I wreck my RC planes a fair amount (basically because I push it way beyond it's limits, because, well.. it's fun to make it do stuff it wasn't designed to do) so I do a lot of work on it, but if I fly it like a normal person it rarely needs more than a recharged battery between flights. Perhaps some trimming and an adjustment here and there to the pushrods, but that's about it. I don't have to rebuild my engine every couple of years like a real plane. :D

So you repair/maintain planes Mr. Clean? Do tell! What kind do you work on? Private planes? Single props? jets? And tell us, should we really be worried about the condition of the planes we fly in? I've always been amazed that most of the commerical jets that are out there today are way older than most people think. Kinda scary, eh?

Oh, and Tricky? yeah, that dude wins the "balls of steel" award! Jumping without a parachute? How do I say this nicely...? FUCK THAT! :lol:

Mr. Clean
22-Sep-2011, 03:09 PM
Why does it make you laugh? While I don't know that much about aircraft maintenance, I do know that there's a hell of a rigorous schedule they have to maintain to keep those planes in the air. Perhaps it's not as rigorous as I thought...?? If so, that worries me! :lol:

No, your very well informed. They get ALL kinds of inspections. Sometimes inspections generate more inspections. It's crazy. I laughed because I never really thought about how someone might think an aircraft gets serviced as much as some high school kid's 1993 honda accord.

So you repair/maintain planes Mr. Clean? Do tell! What kind do you work on? Private planes? Single props? jets? And tell us, should we really be worried about the condition of the planes we fly in? I've always been amazed that most of the commerical jets that are out there today are way older than most people think. Kinda scary, eh?

I mostly worked on Fighters....F-15s & F-16s...repaired alot of other stuff though. Nothing to worry about on airplanes. Not completely sure about the commercial airlines industry but I'm sure they are as safe the U.S. Military.

LouCipherr
22-Sep-2011, 04:06 PM
No, your very well informed. They get ALL kinds of inspections. Sometimes inspections generate more inspections. It's crazy. I laughed because I never really thought about how someone might think an aircraft gets serviced as much as some high school kid's 1993 honda accord.

Oh, yeah, the instructor pointed that out to me. When he said "This is a 1984 Cessna C-172P Skyhawk..." I kinda looked at him like "huh? it's a 1984 model?" and that's when he explained that a 1984 plane isn't considered an antique like cars, and that planes are so well maintained and inspected, a plane that's 30 years old isn't considered a "junker" like an automobile. :D

I thought you were laughing 'cause I was completely misinformed. I'm glad I wasn't - if planes weren't maintained like they are, I'd be PETRIFIED to fly in a plane ever again! :lol:

I mostly worked on Fighters....F-15s & F-16s...repaired alot of other stuff though. Nothing to worry about on airplanes. Not completely sure about the commercial airlines industry but I'm sure they are as safe the U.S. Military.

Oh wow, so you were repairing fighter jets! :eek: AWESOME! Not sure how awesome the actual work is, but that sounds like it could be an interesting as hell job. I can't imagine the kinds of inspections and work that goes into maintaining a military plane. I understand the commerical jets have a rigorous maintenance schedule, but I bet the military planes are probably even more intense with their maintenance.

Commerical jets, like 747's and the like, I think most people would be surprised to know that many of the ones they're flying in are multiple decades old. I never knew this, but when I found out, I was surprised - and I'm not sure I was surprised in a good way. :lol:

Yojimbo
30-Sep-2011, 01:43 AM
That is so cool Lou. Congrats!

I have always wanted to learn to fly since I was a little kid and my father's company had a twin engine cessna that they used to commute from Olean to Buffalo New York. I thought it was the coolest thing and swore that I would learn to fly someday, but unfortuantely my father along with one of his business partners died one morning when the plane went down shortly after takeoff. My maternal grandmother who for all intents and purposes raised me made me swear to her an oath that I would never take a pilot's seat in a small plane as long as she lives out of the belief that I, like my father, would also crash. Still has been one of my dreams for most of my life, though out of respect for Grandma -who thankfully is still with us and in good health and spirits - I will have to wait until she passes on before I will attempt this. Nevertheless you have my respect and admiration Lou!

LouCipherr
30-Sep-2011, 05:23 PM
That is so cool Lou. Congrats!

I have always wanted to learn to fly since I was a little kid and my father's company had a twin engine cessna that they used to commute from Olean to Buffalo New York. I thought it was the coolest thing and swore that I would learn to fly someday, but unfortuantely my father along with one of his business partners died one morning when the plane went down shortly after takeoff. My maternal grandmother who for all intents and purposes raised me made me swear to her an oath that I would never take a pilot's seat in a small plane as long as she lives out of the belief that I, like my father, would also crash. Still has been one of my dreams for most of my life, though out of respect for Grandma -who thankfully is still with us and in good health and spirits - I will have to wait until she passes on before I will attempt this. Nevertheless you have my respect and admiration Lou!

Thanks, man. :)

That's a real bummer about the plane and your dad & partner, although I can certainly understand your Grandmother being the way she is considering the circumstances.

I'd love to get my license, but I can't justify the expense nor can I sacrifice the amount of time needed (at the moment) to do so. Perhaps in the future.

One can dream.... :)

Neil
01-Oct-2011, 05:07 PM
I did an aerobatics lesson once. I had control while we did various manoeuvres, with the real pilot stepping in if/when I lost control.

I can tell you:-
a) You very quickly lose which way you're pointing.
b) Even 3-4G is uncomfortable!

Apart from that, not done any other flying. Done two tandem jumps though, which were cool...

LouCipherr
04-Oct-2011, 05:09 PM
I did an aerobatics lesson once. I had control while we did various manoeuvres, with the real pilot stepping in if/when I lost control.

I can tell you:-
a) You very quickly lose which way you're pointing.
b) Even 3-4G is uncomfortable!

Apart from that, not done any other flying. Done two tandem jumps though, which were cool...

Cool, Neil! Yeah, we didn't do any kind of aerobatics - I think just flying the plane as it stood was plenty enough for my nerves! I can imagine it's really easy to lose your orientation during some of those really fast maneuvers. Especially when you're pulling quite a few G's!

Were you guys doing loops, barrel rolls and the like? Or was these moves a bit more complicated than that?

Speaking of flying, I just watched some pylon racing on Tv the other day - have you ever seen these pilots do this? Ho-ly CRAP are those guys nuts - and somehow they're pulling up to 7-8 G's without passing out. I realize there's breathing techniques for that kind of thing, but wow, SO much to think about while you're just flying balls-out full speed between these pylon markers. All while maintaining a certain height from the ground. Yeah, not only do you have to fly between poles, you have to do it at a specific height! :eek:

SymphonicX
06-Oct-2011, 11:46 AM
My childhood dream was to be a helicopter pilot....I'd loved to fly rescue helicopters, taking people from intense situations to safety, saving lives, and being an all round good egg to society...

But my childhood also brought about a massive, uncontrollable fear of heights. I can't walk up ladders, without the ladder shaking all over the place. I get vertigo standing on tables. It's ridiculous. I get "the fear" so quickly with heights. Nothing else does this to me. And I can't control it. My old lady would tell you the shouting and agro that comes from me everytime I have to go into my attic. Getting up is really hard, getting DOWN is near impossible. Looking down from a height is just wrong to my brain. I hate it...! I would LOVE to do that flying lesson that Lou had, what a great effing present!

A friend of mine did the same thing but with a heli and the pilot "simulated an engine failure" in mid-air! Well scary....I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to do this as a profession, but ultimately I can't control the chemical make up of my brain which brings about that "fight or flight" instinct...and it's always, ironically, flight.

LouCipherr
06-Oct-2011, 12:34 PM
My childhood dream was to be a helicopter pilot....I'd loved to fly rescue helicopters, taking people from intense situations to safety, saving lives, and being an all round good egg to society...

Y'know, I considered this too at one point (being a heli pilot), however, that was until I realize how insanely difficult it is to fly a helicopter!

I've mentioned the Radio Controlled planes my brother and I fly all the time, but he himself has around 3-4 helicopters that he flies too, and let me tell you, flying a plane is a cakewalk compared to flying a helicopter. With a plane, you always have that forward momentum pushing you along, making steering the thing quite easy. With a helicoper, if you're just hovering in one spot, you have no forward momentum making it incredibly difficult to control. Now, once you get the helicopter moving forward it becomes a lot easier to deal with, but hovering can be an extremely difficult thing to do.

I haven't flown his helicopter, just out of fear I'll wreck it (and when you wreck a helicopter, parts & pieces are going everywhere!) But from what he's told me, a helicopter almost requires you to constantly give it "something to do" so-to-speak. If you think it will just hover there on it's own, you're sorely mistaken. To keep one of those things even just hovering there, it takes a LOT of input on the pilots part.

Here's something interesting I never knew about helicopters - remember a few posts ago when I was talking about maintenance on planes? Well, I know a guy who flew helicopters in the armed services, and he told me that for every hour a helicopter is in the air, it requires anywhere from 7-10 hours of maintenance. :eek: Something that requires that much looking after just seems... sketchy to say the least! :lol: