PDA

View Full Version : After Earth (film)

Neil
20-Sep-2011, 11:16 AM
"After a crash landing, a father and son explore an alien planet. " - Sounds promising...

Starring Will Smith and Jaden Smith - Oh! So it could just be a typical Hollywood run of the mill big budget 'safe' film...

Director, M. Night Shyamalan - Oh God!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1815862/

Neil
10-Dec-2012, 08:16 PM
International trailer... Can Shyamalan resurrect his carear?

zaN0HV_N6UA

EvilNed
10-Dec-2012, 09:16 PM
I'm intrigued by the concept. But the trailer doesn't do anything for me.

shootemindehead
11-Dec-2012, 10:08 AM
Will Smith?

No thanks.

Danny
11-Dec-2012, 11:23 AM
Man, im kind of a shamylan apologist, i even kind of liked the happening and love lady in the water, but this looked like a spoof trailer..

AcesandEights
11-Dec-2012, 01:29 PM
Man, im kind of a shamylan apologist, i even kind of liked the happening and love lady in the water, but this looked like a spoof trailer..

He hasn't done nearly so badly as people like to make out. His main problems are people's expectations and living up to the hype from his early success. I think only the Happening stands out as a truly bad film and some of his others are certainly lackluster (Devil comes to mind). That said, it's nice to see someone attempting to make thoughtful films with a fairly original perspective and succeeding a fair bit of the time (6th Sense, Unbreakable, The Village).

I'd feel much better about this if it wasn't a Smith Family vehicle.

Neil
08-Mar-2013, 03:29 PM
"Everything on this planet has evolved to kill humans" - Oh God! My tree hugging warning senses are tingling! Have we abused the Earth so much nature has fought back? Please say it ain't so...

kVmLkMicMn8

Legion2213
08-Mar-2013, 04:17 PM
Will Smith looks like he is starting to morph into Tony Todd!!! :D

EvilNed
09-Mar-2013, 08:07 AM
This trailer was better than the last one. I'm still not a fan of massed CGI and I think the animals look damn ugly.

But Life of Pi has proven me wrong once before. Maybe this will as well.

Mike70
09-Mar-2013, 04:20 PM
Will Smith?

No thanks.

ditto. Will Smith is one of those "kiss of death" actors that torpedo a flick for me. can't stand the guy. Nic Cage or Will Ferrell are probably the only people higher on that list than "willenium."

Neil
09-Mar-2013, 06:06 PM
ditto. Will Smith is one of those "kiss of death" actors that torpedo a flick for me. can't stand the guy. Nic Cage or Will Ferrell are probably the only people higher on that list than "willenium."

I don't really mind him.

But I imagine there's far better options for his role in this flick. And choosing him for Neville in I Am Legend? Bonkers!

EvilNed
10-Mar-2013, 12:45 AM
I like Will Smith, and I think there's a reason he's the most bankeable star in Hollywood. Great actor. Loved him in I Am Legend, too.

Legion2213
11-Mar-2013, 05:03 PM
I like Will Smith, and I think there's a reason he's the most bankeable star in Hollywood. Great actor. Loved him in I Am Legend, too.

Was horrified when I heard he was doing IAL way back when, he totally proved me wrong, he nailed it and I really enjoyed the movie and his performance.

Anyway, he is the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, so always gets extra coolness points from me! :D

Neil
14-Mar-2013, 01:26 PM

I thought his performance in IAM was very good. I just think there would have been many better alternatives with out so much baggage attached. He was in it to make it a Hollywood blockbuster action flick IMHO, and that's all the film was... And as such glossed over the grit and depths the film could have touched to make it truly great.

Neil
15-Apr-2013, 09:00 AM
AnX1I64TCpM

EvilNed
15-Apr-2013, 09:14 AM
I thought his performance in IAM was very good. I just think there would have been many better alternatives with out so much baggage attached. He was in it to make it a Hollywood blockbuster action flick IMHO, and that's all the film was... And as such glossed over the grit and depths the film could have touched to make it truly great.

You've got a point. Had it been an unknown making the role, and if they'd focused more on his isolated everyday life (and not adding in any other human characters) then the film could've been one of the great ones. As it was now, it was a High Concept-film, albeit a very good one.

Neil
30-May-2013, 05:39 PM
Reviews seem to suggest a fairly average affair - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/30/after-earth-review

Neil
04-Jun-2013, 10:34 PM
Cinemblend is somewhat kind about it - http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/After-Earth-6431.html

...once you readjust your expectations and accept After Earth on its own terms, I think you’ll find it’s an admirable YA adventure, a moderately engaging piece of sci-fi storytelling, a return to respectability for Shyamalan, and a welcome departure for an aging Will Smith.

AcesandEights
05-Jun-2013, 02:10 PM
I could definitely see this as a decent Young-Adult adventure film, as suggested by the quote above, that doesn't really help sell it to my already non-existent interest, however.